Mander Organ Builders Forum

Is This A First?

AJJ

Guest Barry Williams
Has anyone experience anything like this before?

AJJ

PS Maybe someone can recoginize the description of the culprit.

It looks as though it is a synthetic instrument rather than an organ. Is it possible for such a machine to be worth £60,000?

Barry Williams

It looks as though it is a synthetic instrument rather than an organ. Is it possible for such a machine to be worth £60,000?

Barry Williams

Yes it does look like a digital. I hardly think that it would be worth 60,000p, but I have seen some that have been just a bit less than that.

JA

Barry Williams

Undoubtedly synthetic - I wonder if anyone would ever be daft enough to mistakenly steal the detached console of a pipe organ - who knows!!

AJJ

Here's rather more information about the theft. It was a 3-manual Allen, evidently stolen to order.

http://news.scotsman.com/scotland.cfm?id=1550682007

http://www.theherald.co.uk/news/other/disp...1720755.0.0.php

I don't want to sound prejudiced, but if I really wanted to go the trouble of stealing a toaster I wouldn't choose an Allen!!!

Here's rather more information about the theft. It was a 3-manual Allen, evidently stolen to order.

http://news.scotsman.com/scotland.cfm?id=1550682007

http://www.theherald.co.uk/news/other/disp...1720755.0.0.php

I don't want to sound prejudiced, but if I really wanted to go the trouble of stealing a toaster I wouldn't choose an Allen!!!

I tell you what, £60k would buy the installation of an overhauled second-hand but thoroughly decent pipe organ of some size.

Mind you, (my theory) some people favour electronics because they don't sound quite so bad when played poorly.

Back in the seventies, when I used to work for the Bechstein agents as a piano tuner, a story went the rounds that at the Royal Festival Hall, where they often had a piano on hire for lunchtime music in the foyer area, a couple of men came in, dismantled a Steinway concert grand, strapped it to a shoe and wheeled it out. This was a commonplace happening there, since the pianos were hired. No-one thought to question the men, since they seemed to know what they were doing. The piano was never seen again......

Possibly apocryphal, but a nice story......so long as it wasn't your Steinway.......

Guest Lee Blick
Well anyway, that's one less of them in circulation, and I think we can all raise a toast to that.

Well I doubt the congregation and organist of that particular church will be raising a toast.

What next? A pipe organ?

Guest Barry Williams
Well I doubt the congregation and organist of that particular church will be raising a toast.

What next? A pipe organ?

It is not so many years ago that a legitimate pipe organ builder served time for stealing pipes from one church organ and placing them in another.

There is also the story of the Swell Chorus Reeds that did duty for a short while in a certain rc place before reaching their final destination.................!

Barry Williams

Guest Lee Blick

Which organ firm was that then, Barry? Or can you not say.

It isn't related to a large venue somewhere in London north of the river is it?

I heard tell of a similar situation.... in this case the organbuilder was taking pipes from one of his own organs to put in another. It's a while ago.