Mander Organ Builders Forum

Console Labels

basdav

I recently played for a funeral at a church not far from me and was highly amused by a white plastic labelon the left hand side of the music desk stating;

BEWARE CRESCENDO PEDAL.

Whatever next?

DO NOT FEED THE ORGANIST

The list could go on.

I recently played for a funeral at a church not far from me and was highly amused by a white plastic labelon the left hand side of the music desk stating;

BEWARE CRESCENDO PEDAL.

Whatever next?

DO NOT FEED THE ORGANIST

The list could go on.

Surely the best place for a General Crescendo Pedal is RIGHT OUT OF THE WAY!! (fine on a cinema organ but a darned nuisance on anything else!) ;)

Surely the best place for a General Crescendo Pedal is RIGHT OUT OF THE WAY!! (fine on a cinema organ but a darned nuisance on anything else!) ;)

Hi

I wish they were always right out of the way! Some theatre organs (and some electronics) I've played have it right next to the swell pedals - far too easy to just nudge it open accidentally - and even worse in a Walker Positive in a local church where the crescendo pedal (presumably provided for non-organists!) is on the left with the swell pedal on the right!

Every Blessing

Tony

Hi

I wish they were always right out of the way! Some theatre organs (and some electronics) I've played have it right next to the swell pedals - far too easy to just nudge it open accidentally - and even worse in a Walker Positive in a local church where the crescendo pedal (presumably provided for non-organists!) is on the left with the swell pedal on the right!

Every Blessing

Tony

True, Tony. St David's Hall in Carrdiff has that layout though the crescendo is on the right. There is a metal lip on the swell pedal which (theoretically) stops your foot straying onto the crescendo.

Peter

.....And precisely this problem is one of the reasons

for having the Crescendo under the "Walze" form; the

other-and main- reason being to be able to add the stations

one by one, with perfect control. (The Crescendo does not equals

Sforzando...)

Pierre

The pedal on the organ in question is on the left next to the Choir and its very easy to mistake it, I agree it would have been better left "silent". There is an indicator light to advise when the Tuba comes on, are ears no use????