Mander Organ Builders Forum

Open Day At Mander Organs

Guest Geoff McMahon

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would also like to extend my thanks to Manders for a super day which my wife and I both enjoyed enormously.

Seeing the St. Paul's console has whet my appetite for a return visit there, once work on the organ is complete. (The last time we were at St. Paul's was for an organ demonstration in mid 2004, which we thoroughly enjoyed although we didn't get to hear the royal trumpets. We managed to time our visit to coincide with the period when they had been removed during the cleaning of the stonework, and most of the nave was covered in scaffolding!)

Thanks again. Yesterday was a day I'll look back on for a long time to come.

Dave Mills

Did anyone notice the blank drawstop located in the Vth manual reeds section? There is to be a new flue stop (not a reed, bit of juggling required to sort out correct location). It’ll be interesting to see the final make-up of the Dome flue chorus.

I spotted this too - can we be let in on what is going there?

AJJ

For the record, I should like to see the Cymbale (29-33-36) III re-instated as part of the Dome Chorus. This very resonant building needs the energy of more than one stop of this type, since the acoustics tend to broaden the sound.

And maybe as there is also some vulgarity up there with the Trompette Militaire something like the Terzzymbel VI-X at Washington National Cathedral might work in the same way. On CD at least its effect is pretty spine tingling as a final climax to the rest of the organ.

AJJ

And maybe as there is also some vulgarity up there with the Trompette Militaire something like the Terzzymbel VI-X at Washington National Cathedral might work in the same way. On CD at least its effect is pretty spine tingling as a final climax to the rest of the organ.

AJJ

.....Only to be recommanded with a protection helmet ?

Pierre

AJJ

======================

Haven't they wrecked this organ yet? I heard they were going to trash it and start again.

Anyway, I heard that big Cymbel in the building, and yes, it was quite a surprise!

MM

Although final details of the Dome flue chorus are not yet agreed, I gathered from JPM that a Sesquialtera may be added to the Dome.

Would anyone like to comment on the benefits or otherwise of a (presumably) 12.17 rank in the Dome chorus?

Fairly pointless. A Grand Cornet (1-8-12-15-17: TG) V might be useful, but a rwo-rank Sesquialtera? I should still prefer the Cymbale.

We may suppose if Mr Mander plans to add this stop, he has

some reasons to do so!

Sesquialteras can work very well with reeds; Arthur Harrison

sometimes named "Sesquialtera" an "Harmonics" stop that was

deprived of the flat 21st rank, but had the same role in the tonal

structure.

Pierre

some reasons to do so!

structure.

Pierre

Dear Pierre,

don't get your hopes up. The chances of the addition being a forceful mutation stop complete with seventeenth and flat twentyfirst would be about as likely as a herd (flock?) of flying pigs!

P.

P.S. How about them getting something along the lines of those amazing harmonic-flute-cornets that Jean Guillou likes so much?

Guest Geoff McMahon

I gather that some people didn't manage to see the films we were running on the open day. This is available from Bert Shapiro who made the film. He takes payment by PayPal or Sterling cheque. To find out more or to order a copy, please e-mail him on <berts@ptd.net>. Some people have already been in touch with him.

John Pike Mander

some reasons to do so!

structure.

Pierre

Pierre - it is probably the organist who has requested this stop. In addition, remember that (if this is indeed the new stop), it is to be placed with the Dome chorus. This already has several high-pressure reeds*, which do not need the help of a two-rank Sequialtera!

* Including two posaunes, three tubas and a Trompette Militaire.

Did anyone actually say it would be 2 ranks though? For instance a 4 rank Sesquialtera with perhaps 15.17.19.22. might give more complexity of sound as an alternative to the quints and unisons in the chorus up there already. Rather in the same way as the alternative Great Mixtures in the Chancel and less as a sort of etherial RH solo 'combiner' for the odd Bach chorale prelude that someone might want to trot out on the Dome Diapasons!

AJJ

Did anyone actually say it would be 2 ranks though? For instance a 4 rank Sesquialtera with perhaps 15.17.19.22. might give more complexity of sound as an alternative to the quints and unisons in the chorus up there already. Rather in the same way as the alternative Great Mixtures in the Chancel and less as a sort of etherial RH solo 'combiner' for the odd Bach chorale prelude that someone might want to trot out on the Dome Diapasons!

AJJ

Hmmm.... I am still not convinced.

The G.O. and Swell already have two identical mixtures (17-19-22), which give a similar effect. The G.O. also has a further three-rank mixture (22-24-26). If a non-chorus type mixture is required, I would still suggest that a Grand Cornet (1-8-12-15-17) V is better. Aside from the fact that this organ does not have such a stop: neither the Cornet composé on the North Choir Organ or the Sesquialtera (12-17) on the South Choir Organ would give suc an arresting effect as a mounted cornet. This might conceivably be useful for solo work, if someone wished to overcome problems of balance, etc.

I gather that some people didn't manage to see the films we were running on the open day. This is available from Bert Shapiro who made the film. He takes payment by PayPal or Sterling cheque. To find out more or to order a copy, please e-mail him on <berts@ptd.net>. Some people have already been in touch with him.

John Pike Mander

Sadly, was not able to visit on the Open Day, so I don't know what these films were. If you have a mo, could you enlighten me - I might be an extra customer for Mr Shapiro!

Thanks

Richard

"4 rank Sesquialtera with perhaps 15.17.19.22. might give more complexity of sound as an alternative to the quints and unisons in the chorus up there already"

(Quote)

This could have been built already by Father Willis himself...

Pierre

Yes! - that's what I rather thought.

AJJ