Mander Organ Builders Forum

Beverley Minster (56k Users Beware)

Yes, they are good pictures.

However, without wishing to spoil your fun, I feel that I should sound a note of caution. The first picture is clearly copyright (Robert Strafford). I presume you have obtained his permission to use the photograph? Cropping the picture is not enough, incidentally - it would still be recognisable by the photographer!

I mention this because DB has, on his website, used one of my pictures (a close-up of the C-C console of Ste. Sulpice, Paris). Whilst in a way this is a compliment, I am also slightly annoyed since he did not either ask my permission to use the photograph or credit me with taking and supplying the picture. Mind you, since he has been most generous in many other ways, I would not think of complaining....*

Just a small point, but, in the light of Mr. Mander's comments re- preoposed sound files breaking PRS laws, I thought that it was worth mentioning.

I assume, of course, that all other photographs were taken by you? They certainly look digital, as opposed to scanned. :D

* The fact that I am patently obviously complaining via this discussion board does, of course, not count.... ;)

Guest Roffensis
''I remember hearing a spectacular recording made of this instrument in (I think) the late '60s or early '70s. It was part of a large English organ LP series, with one LP per organ. Beverley Minster was on one of those LPs. Unfortunately, I cannot remember the name of the organist. But I do remember one stand-out track, I think it was a tocatta, possibly by Howells on "Von Himmel Hoch". Does anybody else remember this recording?''

Alan Spedding (currently still in charge of music at Beverley) was playing - the piece concerned is by Garth Edmundson. I still have a copy of the LP..somewhere.... but at present nothing to play it on!

AJJ

Yes it was Alan Spedding, he did two records, one on RCA Victrola and another on Vista, with one Toccata by Sark, but yes you are right it also has the Vom Himmel Hoch by Edmundson. Both records are superb, and not reissued anywhere. I have both the LPs if you are interested, you can email me privately.

Richard

Yes, they are good pictures.

However, without wishing to spoil your fun, I feel that I should sound a note of caution. The first picture is clearly copyright (Robert Strafford). I presume you have obtained his permission to use the photograph? Cropping the picture is not enough, incidentally - it would still be recognisable by the photographer!

I mention this because DB has, on his website, used one of my pictures (a close-up of the C-C console of Ste. Sulpice, Paris). Whilst in a way this is a compliment, I am also slightly annoyed since he did not either ask my permission to use the photograph or credit me with taking and supplying the picture. Mind you, since he has been most generous in many other ways, I would not think of complaining....*

Just a small point, but, in the light of Mr. Mander's comments re- preoposed sound files breaking PRS laws, I thought that it was worth mentioning.

I assume, of course, that all other photographs were taken by you? They certainly look digital, as opposed to scanned.  :blink:

* The fact that I am patently obviously complaining via this discussion board does, of course, not count.... :lol:

The first picture you mention is neither cropped nor scanned, it was found it on Yahoo Images and I linked it to a discussion forum. Yes the other pictures are taken by myself, do you doubt that? I think the fact that I feature in some of the pictures, some are taken from the organ loft and some are taken when the building was closed suggests that perhaps they were infact taken by myself. Some of them were even taken on my camera phone (the 2nd and 3rd pictures).

I hope that has put the fun back into the pictures!

The first picture you mention is neither cropped nor scanned, it was found it on Yahoo Images and I linked it to a discussion forum. Yes the other pictures are taken by myself, do you doubt that? I think the fact that I feature in some of the pictures, some are taken from the organ loft and some are taken when the building was closed suggests that perhaps they were infact taken by myself. Some of them were even taken on my camera phone (the 2nd and 3rd pictures).

I hope that has put the fun back into the pictures!

Firstly, I did not say that the picture was cropped, only to hint (albeit obliquely) that if one were to use a copyright picture, cropping the details of the copyright assignment would not be sufficient.

Secondly, no, I do not doubt that you took the pictures. However, I was referring to those general views in which you do not appear.

Quite how I am supposed to infer whether or not the building was closed from a picture is beyond my comprehension. I recently managed to take several pictures of the interiors of Christ Church Cathedral, Oxford and Coutances Cathedral (Normandy). To all intents and purposes, both buildings look deserted and could well have been closed to visitors. Notwithstanding, in both cases the buildings were open and had several visitors walking around.

I hope that this improves the clarity of my original post.