Mander Organ Builders Forum

Favourite British Player Of Bach

jonadkins

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Boo!!! :rolleyes:

It may sound effective in the same way that dotting any piece with boring old even quavers is going to make it more jolly - I've heard it done to Handel's "And the glory" too - but hanging notes inégales tags on such pieces doesn't make the treament any less cavalier. If somone can show me definitive proof that French-style notes inégales were used in England and Germany I might concede the point. Maybe the next issue of Organists' Review will shed some light.

Boo!!! :P

It may sound effective in the same way that dotting any piece with boring old even quavers is going to make it more jolly - I've heard it done to Handel's "And the glory" too - but hanging notes inégales tags on such pieces doesn't make the treament any less cavalier. If somone can show me definitive proof that French-style notes inégales were used in England and Germany I might concede the point. Maybe the next issue of Organists' Review will shed some light.

========================

Of course there were lots of notes inégales in English music.....there still is!

It's called inebriation in plain English.

In a delightful parody of Dr. Samuel Johnson, I think it was the late Peter Ustinov who uttered, live on a Mike Parkinson show:-

"What say you Sir is the life force of man? Sherry say you, or beer or sack? None of these things say I Sir, but ink Sir....INK!"

Not everyone is capable of following the right notes at all times, unlike the good Doctor.

:P

MM

We all have our favourite players from abroad: Rogg, Isoir, Koopman et al, but when pressed to nominate a British player of preference when it comes to JSB I find it a little more difficult. Don't get me wrong: I do not wish to denigrate any British organists who are a thousand times better than I - it's just that many players from this country (UK) whom I admire greatly in every other respect sometimes leave me less inspired by their Bach.

Some might say that I shouldn't be so stupid and that Hurford is the obvious answer, full stop, but I'm not sure I agree...

Who's your favourite?

David Sanger