Mander Organ Builders Forum

Feast Of The Epiphany

OmegaConsort

Another Magi carol, if you want to indulge, is Warlock's Bethlehem Down which I don't think anyone has mentioned.

A wonderful piece, makes you think as well.

OK, thanks, Patrick; I take it back - except the bit about the quality of the piece! B)

:blink:

I rather like it.

Darke in F is far nicer musically though...

now Darke in E. THAT is a mass setting

Are you thinking of his Collegium Regale?

Oh yes.

Darke in F is far nicer musically though...

I'm actually quite fond of "F in Darke" (as I've heard it called), but, unless your singers already know it, all those recitations in the Gloria can be hard to pull together on only one rehearsal. I know - I've been there!

The CD is Epiphanytide, I reckon- I'd agree that the Eccard (and Senex and Nunc Dimittis) are all on the CD for Candlemas/Presentation on 2nd Feb, but those readings are sometimes used, if my memory isn't failing, on one of the first two Sundays after Christmas if Epiphany doesn't get there first! Knowing the readings to be used would be helpful in planning the music.

Another Magi carol, if you want to indulge, is Warlock's Bethlehem Down which I don't think anyone has mentioned.

Thanks so much to everyone - loads of good ideas. I will post the final choice when it is made.

Best wishes

Richard

Are you thinking of his Collegium Regale?

Darke in E is wonderful - the Kyrie in particular. I dont think the gloria works so well (comparing it with the F service Gloria)... I quite like the earlier idea of Sumsion in F - simple, flowing, effective and.........I have 40 mins with a motley band of singers prior to Euch in the song school, then perhaps half an hour in the stalls! For evensong, 40 mins in the song school then maybe 45 mins in the stalls?

BTW, I have an organist for evensong but not yet started looking for Euch, so of any of you out there fancy it, let me know!

Best wishes

and thanks again for all the great ideas,

Richard

Its nice (my English teacher forbade use of that word) to hear of Darke in F, Darke in E and Sumsion in F. I feel quite strongly that these are neglected and to some extent forgotten works. So many of us, in the parish churches, are constrained to use congregational mass settings to post Series 3 texts, whilst the cathedrals now think that anything less than a classical or French 20th Century mass is beneath them. What a shame.

Don't forget Ireland in C - lovely Agnus Dei.

• 3 weeks later...

Although not yet approved, this is what I am probably going to do:

EUCHARIST:

Darke in F

Warlock Bethlehem Down

EVENSONG

Ouseley - from the rising (introit)

Shephard Responses

Noble in B minor

Mendelssohn - There shall a star

Very much erring on the side of caution with limited rehearsals and the choir coming from all over (I called them a motley bunch in an earlier posting, and then got an email from one of the contraltos who was most indignant - no telling who reads these posts is there, and what's more, I need to keep on her good side as I would like her to bake bread for the choir party this year, and have not yet asked her - tho she probably now knows!!!).

Assuming the clergy approve, very much looking forward to the Warlock and Mendelssohn - both ideas from this post, so thanks again to all of you for the great ideas!

Richard

I did once see (on a service sheet in a nameless cathedral):

Lo, startled chefs - Crotch.

However, I suspect that this is in fact not a newly-discovered addition to the repertoire, but merely the result of either a secretary failing to bring her spectacles to work - or a rather late Christmas party.

Even our (generally superbly organised) parish secretary has managed something similar on a couple of occasions. We have had, variously:

This evening 6p.m., Cletic Liturgy.

And:

Offertory Hymn: I heard the voice of Jesus say (the collection will be taken during this hymn).

However, the most worrying was from St. Peter's Church, Dorchester:

This Thursday, at 7p.m. The Stripping of the Altar organist Peter Davies.

Apparently, at the appointed time, a sea of purple hair filled the nave* and there was a palpable frisson which pervaded the building.

* The usual result of elderly spinsters falling asleep shortly after applying that week's blue rinse.

Sorry - I have introduced a slight tangent to this thread....

Sorry - I have introduced a slight tangent to this thread....[/font]

so just to continue it, we had 'Holy and immoral one' in Holy Week a few years ago, and a church I used to play for had the end of verse 2 of Away in a manger as 'stay by my side until morning is night'

The best one from Bristol, though, has to be the time the office didn't realise we were joking when we listed the organ voluntary as

Back to the Future, Dr. Emmet Brown, arr. McFly

so that's how it was printed.

Brewer in D was in the same service, for those wondering why we should do such a thing. For those still wondering, compare the theme music to the film with the recurring tenor and bass passage in the Magnificat!