Mander Organ Builders Forum

Thomas Trotter At The Rah

willy

Me too!

I do too - 'even semi transcribe bits myself. Some of the easy orchestra stuff from school works quite well played straight from the score/piano reduction. They've had chunks of Star Wars done this way - Peter and the Wolf is a possibility, I've got Elizabethan Serenade ready and does anyone know The Procession of the Sardar by Ipolitov Ivanov?- 'fantastic piece - I'm surprised there isn't a 'proper' organ version already!!

AJJ

Guest Barry Williams
I do too - 'even semi transcribe bits myself. Some of the easy orchestra stuff from school works quite well played straight from the score/piano reduction. They've had chunks of Star Wars done this way - Peter and the Wolf is a possibility, I've got Elizabethan Serenade ready and does anyone know The Procession of the Sardar by Ipolitov Ivanov?- 'fantastic piece - I'm surprised there isn't a 'proper' organ version already!!

AJJ

If the Elizabethan Serenade is the one by Ronald Binge, try the fine arrangement by Lloyd Webber, published by Ascherberg, Hopwood & Crew Ltd in 1962. It works well even on small instruments.

Barry Williams

I've been to a few recitals where they had cameras on the console, projectors and screens.

I think these help a lot. I was really disappointed that Bham didn't put one up for TT's recital - for sure I wanted to watch the GTB Paganini Variations as much as I wanted to hear them!

If the Elizabethan Serenade is the one by Ronald Binge, try the fine arrangement by Lloyd Webber, published by Ascherberg, Hopwood & Crew Ltd in 1962. It works well even on small instruments.

Barry Williams

Thanks - I will.

AJJ

Indeed, even JSB was not averse to the odd transcription...........

Yes - and I trust that they who are snooty about transcriptions avoid the Schubler chorales!

By all means avoid something if you believe it to be poor music, but don't write it off just because it's a transcription.

Yes - and I trust that they who are snooty about transcriptions avoid the Schubler chorales!

I've not done a note-by-note comparison, so I could be wrong, but I believe it would be fair to say that these are not so much transcriptions as transliterations (i.e. there is little or no arrangement involved), which puts them in a rather different category.

Actually, on the subject of Bach transcriptions, does anyone know the ins and outs of the orchestral version of the first movement of the E minor Trio Sonata? It's a Sinfonia to one of the cantatas - can't remember which one. I don't know what the dating arguments are, but I think the general wisdom is the opposite of what you would intuitively expect from listening to the music, i.e. the cantata pre-dated the sonata. Now if Bach really did write the orchestral version first, this is definitely a case where the arrangement is superior to the original. Perhaps it's because I got to know the sonata first, but the orchestral version strikes me as over-inflated and laborious.

By all means avoid something if you believe it to be poor music, but don't write it off just because it's a transcription.

I imagine that some people would regard Bach's arrangements of concerti by Ernst and Vivaldi, and trios by Fasch and Couperin as beyond the pale.

I imagine that some people would regard Bach's arrangements of concerti by Ernst and Vivaldi, and trios by Fasch and Couperin as beyond the pale.

... Only if they were twits!

... Only if they were twits!

My wife knows where you live.

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

(She scares the hell out of me...)