Mander Organ Builders Forum

Transcriptions

andyorgan

At least you got a reply. I emailed a prominent US organist to enquire about a couple of transcriptions (Shostakovich Festival Overture, and Bernstein Candide), and still haven't heard back, a year later. I wouldn't even mind if he sent one saying, 'look, it took a lot of time to transcribe, why don't you do it yourself!'

This may be a particularly American trait. I once wrote to Gerre Hancock at Saint Thomas' Church, Fifth Avenue, NYC, thanking him for a broadcast of Choral Evensong and enquiring about the music for one of the pieces. I recall that I even found some way of including an envelope with the postage pre-paid. It took him almost exactly a year to reply, too.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did last year! Played it as an encore in a couple of recitals that included the Bach G major among other things. Its a sort of home produced arrangement based on the Shearing version.

St Alban's included a version of it on their CD released about 10 years ago Over the Rainbow which originally inspired me to look at its possibilities on the organ. No doubt there are a number of theatre organists who have it on their books.. Yes, the Shearingf arrangement is nice, I think mine is vaguely based on that. The CD was a mx of secular and sacred, and includes When I'm 64 as well as a charming Johnny Dankworth hymn the name of which I cannot now recall.

Peter

St Alban's included a version of it on their CD released about 10 years ago Over the Rainbow which originally inspired me to look at its possibilities on the organ.

Despite the fact that my oldest friend and also my godson are singing on this - the track mentioned above still makes my toes curl. Needless to say there is some fantastic stuff on the disc too.

AJJ

...a charming Johnny Dankworth hymn the name of which I cannot now recall.

Light beyond shadow? (or something like that).

I have the St Alb CD as well. It never feels quite right being sung by boy choristers and lay-clerks?

=======================

Who has a copy of the Flor Peeters Concerto for Piano and Organ?

I have a copy, but I've never heard anyone play it beyond the recording issued of Ron and Mary Perrin from Ripon Cathedral.

It's worth learning and playing, I think.

MM

Yes, it's really good! :( I performed it with Michael Jones twice last year along with Dupré: Variations on two themes, Franck's own arrangement for Piano and harmonium or organ of his P, F, & V and some other works we've discovered along the way.

Programme here: http://www.paulcarr.co.uk/Organ%20and%20Pi...0Programmes.pdf

We were supposed to also give the same concert a week later, but the venue had their piano tuned to concert pitch between our rehearsal and the concert, the organ is very sharp, the result is very unplesant! :P The piano tuner refused to retune the piano :lol: so we had to pull the plug on the concert, reluctantly and sadly. :(

P.

• 1 month later...

This is a plea!

Re-listening recently to E. Humperdinck's "Hansel and Gretel" I've been taken by the beauty of the Overture/Prelude. Now there is a transcription of this by Lemare but I can't seem to get hold of one anywhere (libraries included). There is also, I believe a transcription of the "Angels Scene" but I'm not sure by whom.

My plea is this: does anyone have either/both said pieces? and if so could I have a copy please?!!

Ever in hope,

F-W

This is a plea!

Re-listening recently to E. Humperdinck's "Hansel and Gretel" I've been taken by the beauty of the Overture/Prelude. Now there is a transcription of this by Lemare but I can't seem to get hold of one anywhere (libraries included). There is also, I believe a transcription of the "Angels Scene" but I'm not sure by whom.

My plea is this: does anyone have either/both said pieces? and if so could I have a copy please?!!

Ever in hope,

F-W

A shot in the dark, but the angel dream is played by Tim Byram Wigfield from St Mary's Episcopal Cathedrall on Priory's Twelve organs of Edinburgh disc. Have you thought of writing to him at St George's, Windsor Castle to ask where he got his copy from? The address for the Chapter Office is on their web site http://www.stgeorges-windsor.org/today/tod_vacancies.asp

Charles

Roger Molyneux has a copy of the Angel Scene for £3.00

http://www.organmusic.org.uk/catalogue.html

http://www.organmusic.org.uk/Cat0108.pdf (page 19)

Best wishes

J

This is a plea!

Ever in hope,

F-W

Roger Molyneux has a copy of the Angel Scene for £3.00

http://www.organmusic.org.uk/catalogue.html

http://www.organmusic.org.uk/Cat0108.pdf (page 19)

Best wishes

J

I can't find the Lemare one, and I thought all of his transcriptions were here:

https://www.wayneleupold.com/frameset.asp?s...olos_trans.html

This is a plea!

Ever in hope,

F-W

Angel Scene, arranged by Lemare, is in the Blue Album of Twenty Pieces for the Organ published by Schott. I think I've also got the Overture, but can't lay my hands on it at the moment.

Guest spottedmetal

Hi!

Anyone interested in transcriptions might find a seller on ebay useful:

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/transcription-orgue

I ordered the complete set of his transcriptions - it was around 70 EU or £, sorry can't remember, including postage from whereever it was and the parcel arrived with wonderful stamps. On cursory glance they look brilliant and useful . . . but I haven't had time to go through them yet . . . partly on account also of my toaster having no music stand whilst adding Solo and Echo - a major impediment to looking at new music!

By the way, I'm getting tied up in wiring complexities allowing full flexibility for division allocation between the available stop departments. As it's intended to be a rather fun dream project intended to be rather outrageous but equally tonally useful, would anyone be interested if I posted the stop list and areas of permutations that are perplexing me on a new thread? I'm aiming to finish the beast during next week.

Best wishes

Spot

• 1 month later...
Guest Barry Williams
I seem to recall one by Sinclair, but can't remember anything else about it at the moment.

A transcription of Elgar's Imperial March by Sinclair is mentioned on the parallel thread of the ABRSM Viva Organ site. I have the 1897 transcription by George C Martin that Novellos re-published in the two volume Elgar set many years ago, along with Lemare's arrangement of the Triumphal March from 'Caractacus' - a cracking piece, and that delightful 'Cantique', dedicated to Hugh Blair and owing much to the Adagio molto e cantabile from Beethoven's Ninth Symphony. My copies cost £1.55 each volume! The Martin arrangement is very accessible and effective, working well on small organs.

Barry Williams

• 8 months later...

I had forgotten this thread had ended on Elgar and the Imperial March, as I have a query.

I've just bought off eBay the Herrick Organ Fireworks Vol8 which has it on. However, on the 4th page (p26 in the Elgar volume), in the4th bar he plays that bar as it appears on the third line of that page, ie with the chord of D flat major. Can anyone check if that's what the Sinclair transcription does, or indeed, if that's what the orchestral original does. I've tried to find a recording of the original, but don't fancy shelling out for a CD that is mostly stuff I already have.

Contributions to clearing this up, much appreciated.

I had forgotten this thread had ended on Elgar and the Imperial March, as I have a query.

I've just bought off eBay the Herrick Organ Fireworks Vol8 which has it on. However, on the 4th page (p26 in the Elgar volume), in the4th bar he plays that bar as it appears on the third line of that page, ie with the chord of D flat major. Can anyone check if that's what the Sinclair transcription does, or indeed, if that's what the orchestral original does. I've tried to find a recording of the original, but don't fancy shelling out for a CD that is mostly stuff I already have.

Contributions to clearing this up, much appreciated.

You are correct - despite the RH being the same, the two bars have different LH chords in Sinclair's version, [i can't check the original, sorry] I play these differences as printed and that most definitely works for me! To be honest, to change the first is to reduce some of the interest in my opinion. Just a sneaky thought: while a small memory lapse on CH's part is one possible explanation, the other is 'editing error'. I remember having to get Priory to re-edit my Gowers Toccata because they'd managed to lose a couple of pages! You wouldn't necessarily have spotted it if you didn't know the work, but these things happen.

A tale to amuse:

My vast weight combined with a creaky bench gave Priory some problems with one soft work in particular on my Bridlington CD. In Hollins' Song of Sunshine there were so many little squeaks that Paul Crichton decided to patch up one clean version of page 1 and he went on to use the same version exactly (digitally copied) each and every time that passage comes again. Like a pop song, being the theme that section comes several times. If anyone's ever wondered quite how I achieved such a level of perfection in that all my phrasing nuances are identical down to the last millisecond, now you know how it was done. In this case, the editing was required not because of sloppy playing, but the shifting of my weight!

You are correct - despite the RH being the same, the two bars have different LH chords in Sinclair's version, [i can't check the original, sorry] I play these differences as printed and that most definitely works for me! To be honest, to change the first is to reduce some of the interest in my opinion. Just a sneaky thought: while a small memory lapse on CH's part is one possible explanation, the other is 'editing error'. I remember having to get Priory to re-edit my Gowers Toccata because they'd managed to lose a couple of pages! You wouldn't necessarily have spotted it if you didn't know the work, but these things happen.

A tale to amuse:

My vast weight combined with a creaky bench gave Priory some problems with one soft work in particular on my Bridlington CD. In Hollins' Song of Sunshine there were so many little squeaks that Paul Crichton decided to patch up one clean version of page 1 and he went on to use the same version exactly (digitally copied) each and every time that passage comes again. Like a pop song, being the theme that section comes several times. If anyone's ever wondered quite how I achieved such a level of perfection in that all my phrasing nuances are identical down to the last millisecond, now you know how it was done. In this case, the editing was required not because of sloppy playing, but the shifting of my weight!

Sorry, its a bit late in the evening and I'm still a bit confused. The first time has d naturals in the melody and the chords, the second time, d flat in both the melody and the LH chords in the Martin version. Is that what Sinclair does?

The bit about editing error on Hyps part did cross my mind, the only other explanation I could think of was that CH had heard/seen Elgar's original and that the mistake belong to Martin and/or Novello, certainly possible.

Incidentally, a couple of recordings solo out the melody there, not play it all on the swell as Martin asks. I've tried it and I think I'll stick with it, just have to thicken the LH a little if you choose not to play the chords in the right hand.

Sorry, its a bit late in the evening and I'm still a bit confused. The first time has d naturals in the melody and the chords, the second time, d flat in both the melody and the LH chords in the Martin version. Is that what Sinclair does?

The bit about editing error on Hyps part did cross my mind, the only other explanation I could think of was that CH had heard/seen Elgar's original and that the mistake belong to Martin and/or Novello, certainly possible.

Incidentally, a couple of recordings solo out the melody there, not play it all on the swell as Martin asks. I've tried it and I think I'll stick with it, just have to thicken the LH a little if you choose not to play the chords in the right hand.

No D flats here, not in either bar. The main difference in my score is that there is an additional seventh in the chord first time around.

'Just played through my complete ABBA (with 2 x daughters singing) on my house instrument as a result of their watching Mama Mia - sorry folks - possibly bad taste but as transcriptions some worked actually rather well!

Alastair

'Just played through my complete ABBA (with 2 x daughters singing) on my house instrument as a result of their watching Mama Mia - sorry folks - possibly bad taste but as transcriptions some worked actually rather well!

And also for orchestra. We did a lighter evening with the school orchestra which included a medley of ABBA hits and they transcribed very well.

I've also managed to find a CD with the Elgar on it for brass band. Will report on the passages in question...!

To mark the end of Christmas last week I sent them home to the Raiders of the Lost Ark march! (Busked from a piano score, but I still think it counts as a transcription - I used in a few monhths ago for a children's "meet the organ" evening.)

And I've got the Dr Who theme......

Peter

• 2 weeks later...

I've now heard a full version (actually Military Band version) and they have two different chords in these bars, so perhaps your explanation of 'editing error' is actually the answer. That's what I'm going to play anyway!