Mander Organ Builders Forum

Organ & Orchestra

jonadkins

For a long time, I had to have one of those Private Eye style "and.. er.. that's it" moments when people asked what had been written for organ and orchestra. Since then, I've come across a few things, like the Barber, but none of them seem to come even close in quality to the Poulenc concerto.

Am I being unfair? What are others' nominations for unjustly neglected examples of this music?

Guilmant, Rheinberger, Dupré and Heiller all spring to mind. The Heiller is rather good but rarely heard these days.

DGW's recent (2000/2001) recording of the Poulenc and Barber (ECO/David Hill, Linn CKD178) also contains a Concertino for organ+strings+percussion by Pierre Petit, which is quite fun.

Oddly this CD was initially released in a version all conducted by Raymond Leppard (Linn CKD160) . It was then withdrawn and re-released with David Hill conducting the Poulenc. I have both copies on my shelf.

H

Do I recall hearing once a version of the Prelude and Fugue in C Minor by Vaughan Williams for organ and orchestra? Seem to remember it was a pretty impressive sound, especially in all those crashing passages in the prelude......

Worked better, I think, than the solo organ version, which is a pig to play and even harder to bring off convincingly.

Do I recall hearing once a version of the Prelude and Fugue in C Minor by Vaughan Williams for organ and orchestra? Seem to remember it was a pretty impressive sound, especially in all those crashing passages in the prelude......

Worked better, I think, than the solo organ version, which is a pig to play and even harder to bring off convincingly.

There is certainly a version by Elgar - which I do not like, since I feel that it is rather over-inflated; lots of crashing cymbals and glissandi on the strings, if I remember correctly.

I much prefer the organ version, which I find lies under the hands quite comfortably, especially if one were to resist the temptation to change claviers. It is not really difficult if the fingering is worked-out carefully beforehand.

Depends what you're after, if its the wow factor to stun the audience then:

-Guilmant arrangement of the 1st and the 8th Sonata

-Jongen

-Dupre

-Widor (its three movements from No.6)

-Eben (not as audience friendly!)

A year or so ago there were special recitals (featuring a number of concerti) at both the RFH and Albert Hall; in both cases the 'usual' concerti were trotted out and I was sorry to see both the duplication of items between the two venues and the fact that both missed the opportunity to feature the Jongen. I'm sure it would please any audience, even if it is less known than some others. Speaking personally, this is one of my all-time favourites!

This is a topical question because, as some observant folks will have spotted in advertisements, Priory have just released a CD made by Janes Watts, Sir David Willcocks and The Ulster Orchestra of two (previously un-performed) organ concerti by my one-time professor, Richard Popplewell. I commend these works (and the CD) to others on this forum since they are both superbly orchestrated, high adrenalin and high audience-satisfaction numbers! I would like to hope that this recording will bring forth several more performances. Unfortunately, full orchestras are expensive and organ concerti get little enough of a look in even when one only needs strings and woodwind (as in Handel) or strings and percussion (in Poulenc).

For a long time, I had to have one of those Private Eye style "and.. er.. that's it" moments when people asked what had been written for organ and orchestra. Since then, I've come across a few things, like the Barber, but none of them seem to come even close in quality to the Poulenc concerto.

Am I being unfair? What are others' nominations for unjustly neglected examples of this music?

- Lovelock's Symphonie Concertante is a stunning piece - every bit as good as the Jongen, IMHO

- Günter Raphael wrote a concerto for Organ, strings 3 tpt and timp that is also quite nice (closes with a fugue on "Ein Feste Burg")

- The Eben concerto has been mentioned - his Symphonia Gregoriana for O+O is much more accessible (lush beautiful sounds prevail - quite unlike some of his later works)

- If you've not heard the Sowerby Concertos (esp. the one in C) you are missing a treat - great stuff.

- Daniel Gawthrop has written a fine concerto - I think one can hear it on Organlive streaming radio

- The Whitlock Sym. for O+O doesn't hang together as well as some pieces, but it _is_ a neat work, and has some nice moments.

- I'm working on an organ cto - I hope it will be effective :angry: and deserve attention

As for arrangements for O+O of stuff, there are tons of those out there - as are there orchestrations of organ music... (reverse transcription?).

I'm sure I'll think of more works, but for now, those come to mind...

Cheers,

- G

Lawrence is definitely playing the Jongen at Hampton School on 15th March. As yet (BW) there is no date for him to play it with the Thames Youth Orchestra at Kingston Parish Church (but we live in expectation).

A couple of Fridays ago I took L into the Chapel Royal for practice. He had a CD of the Symphonie Concertante with him and once he'd sorted out his music for the weekend he had me put the CD on the chapel's sound system while he played along with it.

I can imagine the very idea sending shivers through some purists but I have to tell you it was magical.

Anyway ... back to the thread ... Didn't Langlais write some organ concertos?

Best wishes

J

A year or so ago there were special recitals (featuring a number of concerti) at both the RFH and Albert Hall; in both cases the 'usual' concerti were trotted out and I was sorry to see both the duplication of items between the two venues and the fact that both missed the opportunity to feature the Jongen. I'm sure it would please any audience, even if it is less known than some others. Speaking personally, this is one of my all-time favourites!

SNIP

Depends what you're after, if its the wow factor to stun the audience then:

-Guilmant arrangement of the 1st and the 8th Sonata

-Jongen

-Dupre

-Widor (its three movements from No.6)

-Eben (not as audience friendly!)

The Dupré G minor (Symphonie, I think) is probably heard more often than the E minor concerto. Certainly I've never managed to hear the E minor Concerto live, I'm unaware of it being performed in this country in recent years. A recording I have of it from Adelaide Town Hall (Walker), along side Guilmant 1 and the Poulenc, is stunning.

P.

Here's a list of Czech concerti for organ:-

Brixi František Xaver Koncert in C

Brixi František Xaver Koncert pro varhany D-dur

Brixi František Xaver Koncert pro varhany F-dur

Cotek Pavel Responsoria

Eben Petr II. Koncert 1982

Emmert František Koncert pro varhany a orchestr c. 2 1977

Fiala Petr Koncert pro varhany a orchestr 1972

Hannig Petr Fantasie pro varhany a orchestr 1972

Hlobil Emil Koncert pro varhany, op. 61

Hurník Ilja Promeny, pro varhany a dechové kvinteto

Kopriva Karel Blažej Koncert pro varhany a orchestr in Dis

Škroup Dominik Josef Koncert pro varhany a orchestr F dur

Kvech Otomar Symfonie pro varhany a orchestr 1973/74

Linek Jirí Ignác Concerto in C

Nejedlý Vít Suita

Novák Jirí František Koncert, op. 23

Pinos-Simandl Alois Koncert pro varhany a velký orchestr 1984

Reinberger Jirí Koncert pro varhany a orchestr c. 2 c moll

Reinberger Jirí Koncert pro varhany a smyccový orchestr c. 3 1960

Riedlbauch Václav Koncert-bitva 1973

Rezác Ivan Koncert pro varhany, smycce a bicí 1968

Sokola Miloš Koncert pro varhany a smyccový orchestr 1971

Vanhal Jan Krtitel Concerto in F per l'organo, due violini e basso

Vanhal Jan Krtitel Koncert C dur pro varhany a orchestr

Werner Vladimír Concertino pro varhany, žeste a bicí

=============================

The Brixi concertos are a delight, and the Eben has already been mentioned.

I've never heard the Jirí Reinberger works or the Vanhal, but I know that the work of Miloš Sokola is very highly regarded.

Then there's an addition Triple Concerto involving organ, orchestra and harpsichord by Robert Mimra, but I don't know whether it was ever finished or published. The first three movements are superb.

MM

Marco Enrico Bossi (1861–1925) :

• Concerto op.100
  • Konzertstück op.130
  • Fantasia Sinfonica op.147

Alfredo Casella (1883–1947) :

• Concerto Romano op.43

Jeanne Demessieux (1921–1968):

• Poème op.9

Rolande Falcinelli (1920–2006):

• Choral et Variation sur le Kyrie de la Messe "Orbis Factor" op.12
  • Mausolée "à la gloire de Marcel Dupré" op. 47

Alexandre Guilmant (1837–1911):

• Méditation sur le "Stabat Mater" op. 63
  • Allegro op.81
  • Final alla Schumann op.83

Flor Peeters (1903–1986) :

• Concerto op.52

Charles-Marie Widor (1844–1937) :

• Symphonie n° 3 op.69
  • Sinfonia Sacra op.81
  • Symphonie Antique op.83

I don't think anyone's mentioned the Respighi Suite in G for Organ & Strings (big concertante organ part)

Unashamed advertising alert!: New recording (c/w Poulenc and Rheinberger 1) from Peter King (Bath Abbey Klais) with the BBC National Orchestra of Wales, conducted by François-Xavier Roth (son of Daniel) - played on Graeme Kay's Organ Round-up on Radio 3 CD Review on Saturday.

Gary Cole

I don't think anyone's mentioned the Respighi Suite in G for Organ & Strings (big concertante organ part)

Unashamed advertising alert!: New recording (c/w Poulenc and Rheinberger 1) from Peter King (Bath Abbey Klais) with the BBC National Orchestra of Wales, conducted by François-Xavier Roth (son of Daniel) - played on Graeme Kay's Organ Round-up on Radio 3 CD Review on Saturday.

Gary Cole

Reviewed on 'orgelnieuws.nl', good, solid but all on 'the safe side', as

a 10 days all-in bustrip to the Bodensee [unquote].

Gary Cole

Have just acquired this very interesting release, which I think is successful in many ways. The logistical problems of playing this sort of music together in somewhere like Bath Abbey have been very effectively addressed: the abbey can be a very unrewarding place accoustically, and they do not have the luxury of a ground floor console. However, I think it has been well "mic-ed" (sorry) and Peter obviously knows the organ and building very well.

Musically though, I am slightly less sure. The Respighi and Rheinberger are lovely discoveries (for me), but I found that they tended to wander a bit, although I like the performances here. As for the Poulenc, the BBC NOW are in fine form, and the organ sounds thrilling, but perhaps in this work gets a little overbearing (I suppose you can't have you cake and eat it) and in the slower sections I found myself wanting the strings to be a little more demonstrative. The sleeve notes tell the anecdote about Poulenc leaping up and telling the violins to imagine they were playing the Meditation from Thais, and maybe he would have done the same here, and the violas have some wonderful stuff, but at times it needed a little more passion.

Nevertheless, some beautiful sounds from the NOW and all credit to Francois-Xavier Roth for very coherent leadership.

• 5 weeks later...

I've stumbled across a reference to a concerto in C major for organ and strings by F. X. Frenzel. A quick search of the Internet revealed that, as I understand it, this is the work of a living composer, Friedemann Katt. The mp3 extract of a sonata for trumpet and organ by "Frenzel" strikes me as quite interesting.

So, I'd be interested in finding out if anyone has heard, or knows of this concerto.

This is a topical question because, as some observant folks will have spotted in advertisements, Priory have just released a CD made by Janes Watts, Sir David Willcocks and The Ulster Orchestra of two (previously un-performed) organ concerti by my one-time professor, Richard Popplewell. I commend these works (and the CD) to others on this forum since they are both superbly orchestrated, high adrenalin and high audience-satisfaction numbers!

I must endorse Cynic's recommendation. I purchased a copy of this CD in the bookshop at Southwark Cathedral last Saturday. So far, I have been unable to stop listening to it. If you do not have a copy, buy one now - it is excellent!

Has anyone heard David Briggs' Organ Concerto, recorded in 2005 at Blackburn? Powerful stuff imho, with more than a hint of Poulenc and his contemporaries in places.

Yes, I have the recording and we were at the première, in Blackburn Cathedral - it's a fabulous work. The recording can be purchased directly from DB's website, I believe.

P.

• 4 months later...

I've just taken delivery of the new Chandos Leighton Concerto for Organ, Strings and Percussion. Its ages since I've heard this. It's a super work, but rather dark and bleak.

Well recorded (it must be, it manages to make the St David's organ sound good! and I got out my Senn HD650s especially for it, after the other thread) and of course exemplary laying from John Scott.

Anyone else purchased it yet?