Mander Organ Builders Forum

Organ & Orchestra

jonadkins

Priory have brought out Richard Popplewell's Concertos - has anyone heard them? I must admit that variations on 'Dashing Away with a Smoothing Iron was a little off putting when reading the description - but I suppose each to their own!

AJJ

Priory have brought out Richard Popplewell's Concertos - has anyone heard them? I must admit that variations on 'Dashing Away with a Smoothing Iron was a little off putting when reading the description - but I suppose each to their own!

AJJ

Just spotted a posting about this back a bit!

A

Has anyone heard David Briggs' Organ Concerto, recorded in 2005 at Blackburn? Powerful stuff imho, with more than a hint of Poulenc and his contemporaries in places.

Yes, I have the CD and it is very good. It is very Briggs, which of course means its very French, yet not a pastiche in anyway. Well worth a look!

Yes, I have the CD and it is very good. It is very Briggs, which of course means its very French, yet not a pastiche in anyway. Well worth a look!

I have the CD too - it's excellent. We were also at the premiere at Blackburn a couple of years or so ago. :unsure:

This one looks as if it might be quite fun, though not a little difficult. I confess I have never heard of the chap before. A German answer to Guilmant perhaps?

More like a brother to Reger....

Fahrmann wrote 14 sonatas and a host of other works - many are fiendishly difficult. I have a copies of 2 of the Sonatas...

Incidentally, I requested that Sibley scan the above item - I was pleased to have it show up in my notification email from them yesterday. You all really need to go to their site and browse the downloads (search) there is a RAFT of obscure music available!

Best,

- G