Mander Organ Builders Forum

Weidermann (bedrich)

Guest Cynic

The topic title says it all. Someone out there has a copy of this, I fervently hope. If anyone is prepared to share this goodie, please contact me and I will remain in your debt!

The topic title says it all. Someone out there has a copy of this, I fervently hope. If anyone is prepared to share this goodie, please contact me and I will remain in your debt!

==========================

Ah Wiedermann!

I told you all that you'd start getting into Czech music eventually, didn't I?

I have contacts, and I'll put out the feelers, because I've been trying to get hold of this composer's works for some time.

However, you should know that there are about 390 other unpublished works, including music for Mezzo Soprano and organ which is absolutely ravishing.

A bit of background to the great man, who was organist of St.James' Prague.

It was he who, before the communist regime, who brought the romantic organ to the former Czechoslovakia; turning the old baroque instrument at St.James' into a very substantial romantic one. To-day, it is a fine blend of old and new, with some impressive sounds and chamades which 'pcnd' would love. Wiedermann was an outstanding improvisor apparently, and at his weekly recitals in Prague, he would always include an extended improvisation to a rapt audience; among which was Jiri Ropek, who later siad that Wiedermann was the most charismatic of organists. Alone in the former Czechoslovakia, Wiedermann popularised the organ via a series of weekly broadcasts.

Like so many musicians from the former "free" Czechoslovakia, he was to be branded as a dissident artist by the communist regime; the result of which was to have publication of his considerable output denied. To this day, they have not been published, beyond the following:-

Toccata and Fugue in F minor

Oblíbené varhaní skladby

Pastorale dorico

Varhaní skladby

So the hunt goes on, but of all his works, the T & F is possibly the one which is likely to surface.

I'll let you know!

MM

PS: Paul....have you tried Dr Alan Spedding?

• 4 weeks later...