Mander Organ Builders Forum

Organ And Trumpet Duets

Davidb

Hi guys,

Me and a friend of mine are looking towards putting together a program of 'organ and trumpet' music with a view to touring it around East Anglia in 2008.

However, there doesn't seem to be much repertoire for this combination avalible at first glance (we have already considered the trumpet tunes by Purcell, Clarke, Charpentier and Hollins, in arrangments) but were hoping to find some (have heard about the Hakim sonata)

So any suggestions of music that could be performed (And indeed potential bookings!) would be very gratefully recieved

db

Guest Barry Oakley
Hi guys,

Me and a friend of mine are looking towards putting together a program of 'organ and trumpet' music with a view to touring it around East Anglia in 2008.

However, there doesn't seem to be much repertoire for this combination avalible at first glance (we have already considered the trumpet tunes by Purcell, Clarke, Charpentier and Hollins, in arrangments) but were hoping to find some (have heard about the Hakim sonata)

So any suggestions of music that could be performed (And indeed potential bookings!) would be very gratefully recieved

db

Not long before he resigned the post of Huddersfield Town Hall organist a year or two back, Gordon Stewart put on a number of organ/trumpet recitals. I attended one at St Paul's, Newcastle under Lyme, but no longer have the programme. Maybe if you could find an e-mail address for Gordon he might offer some suggestions.

This chap appears to have located quite a bit (arrangements and otherwise): http://www.geocities.com/emile_meuffels/en...gemeen/cds.html

My personal favourite is RVW's last-verse arrangement of All People that on Earth do Dwell (with a stern injunction that trumpet stops "must NOT be used if no trumpet is available"), but I doubt that's what you're looking for!

Hi guys,

db

You may know that David Dunnett (Norwich Cathedral) gives regular duo recitals with an Australian trumpeter colleague - and very entertaining they are, too.

JS

If you have two trumpets, Bryan Kelly's Sonata for 2 Trumpets and Organ is reasonable fun (I have my recording of the premiere here, in which Merton College organ loses by miles - that's such a weedy instrument).

Paul

If you can get hold of the complete Suite from which the Clarke Prince of Denmark comes, that often goes down well.

There's A Prayer of St Gregory by Hovhaness, and Okna (Windows) by Eben. I've played the Clarke and Hovhaness but don't have copies so can't tell you publishers, I'm afraid.

If the season is right, Hakim also wrote a Rondo for Christmas.

Paul Walton

Assistant Organist

Bristol Cathedral

A lovely set is GP Telemann's 12 Heroic Marches, originally for trumpet, strings and basso continuo, but arranged by Marie-Claire Alain for organ and trumpet. Among the set are a good combination of lively and gentle pieces that all work well.

Andrew Caskie

I have this disc and it is really very, very good. The Bach C major Trio Sonata is an absolute joy and transcribes very well. I think you could probably make it work if you played the second part and bass line and left the topline to the trumpet. Shame the Badinerie is unaccompanied.