Mander Organ Builders Forum

A Mander In Cardiff

Peter Clark

Yesterday I played, as part of a choral workshop, a delightful two manual and pedal Mander extension organ in St Bridget's, Cardiff. This instrument is not listed in the NOPR as far as I can see so I'll make sure that that is rectified. The organ is completely unenclosed. Patrick did you once tell me you had a hand in this organ?

Peter

edit: :rolleyes: that should read Church in the header!!

Guest Patrick Coleman
Yesterday I played, as part of a choral workshop, a delightful two manual and pedal Mander extension organ in St Bridget's, Cardiff. This instrument is not listed in the NOPR as far as I can see so I'll make sure that that is rectified. The organ is completely unenclosed. Patrick did you once tell me you had a hand in this organ?

Peter

edit: :rolleyes: that should read Church in the header!!

Saint Brigid's organ is N11918 in NPOR. I referred to it some while ago in a thread on extension organs. Peter is right that it is a delightful example of what can be done effectively with only a very little. The organ is fully unenclosed and all pipes are not only on display but easily reached.

When (in my RC days) I served as a curate there (1984-1988), the small front pipes were damaged and the organ had been neglected, poorly tuned and poorly maintained (by someone other than Manders). Vic Dann, I think it was, came down from Manders and put it right. Manders were not only highly professional but also very generous, putting straight and then maintaining a Walker Positif in the daughter church as well. The sound was quite adequate to accompanying 600 voices in the large 1960s church, with a great deal of glass, concrete and a hard floor to help spread the sound. Sadly I believe it was carpeted not long after I moved on in 1988 and I don't think it can be as effective as it was designed to be, though obviously it is still a lovely instrument.

I hopethat Manders are still taking care of it?

Saint Brigid's organ is N11918 in NPOR. I referred to it some while ago in a thread on extension organs. Peter is right that it is a delightful example of what can be done effectively with only a very little. The organ is fully unenclosed and all pipes are not only on display but easily reached.

When (in my RC days) I served as a curate there (1984-1988), the small front pipes were damaged and the organ had been neglected, poorly tuned and poorly maintained (by someone other than Manders). Vic Dann, I think it was, came down from Manders and put it right. Manders were not only highly professional but also very generous, putting straight and then maintaining a Walker Positif in the daughter church as well. The sound was quite adequate to accompanying 600 voices in the large 1960s church, with a great deal of glass, concrete and a hard floor to help spread the sound. Sadly I believe it was carpeted not long after I moved on in 1988 and I don't think it can be as effective as it was designed to be, though obviously it is still a lovely instrument.

I hopethat Manders are still taking care of it?

Yes, my fault for misspelling the Saint's name! The Walker is also quite an effective instrument, in St Paul's down the road. I'm not sure who maintains it now but I'll ask and report back.

Peter