Mander Organ Builders Forum

Has Anyone Heard Of This Chap?

Martin Cooke

Fumet: Integrale De L'oeuvre Pour Orgue

I discovered this whilst wandering through itunes the other day - there's a cracking Toccata - I recommend downloading it.

Martin

Nice music, if I'm not mistaken he's somehow connected (teacher?) to Jean Guillou.

Heavy recording by Henri-Franck Beauperin on 'his' organ in Angers (which sounds a bit like the 1970's NDdP).

Which one do you mean: Dynam-Victor Fumet (1867–1949) or his son Raphaël Fumet (1898–1979)?

Guest Barry Williams

Has anyone heard of the 'Profusion Project' at All Souls Church Halifax? Mr Adam Sun, a watchmaker by trade, has acquired the church from the Churches Conservation Trust and seeks to populate it with organs of different types so that students can gain experience of playing various instruments.

I have no other information and wonder if any Board members know about this project.

Barry Williams

Has anyone heard of the 'Profusion Project' at All Souls Church Halifax? Mr Adam Sun, a watchmaker by trade, has acquired the church from the Churches Conservation Trust and seeks to populate it with organs of different types so that students can gain experience of playing various instruments.

I have no other information and wonder if any Board members know about this project.

Barry Williams

Wow, that sounds a fabulous idea... We've talked, amongst friends about something similar in Birmingham, mainly to rescue organs that are about to be scrapped. (Not those that would, musically speaking, benefit from being scrapped though!!)

This project could be a good blue print...

P

Nice music, if I'm not mistaken he's somehow connected (teacher?) to Jean Guillou.

Indeed, the young Guillou was a pupil in Fumet's harmony class in Angers.

Heavy recording by Henri-Franck Beauperin on 'his' organ in Angers (which sounds a bit like the 1970's NDdP).

Another equally heavy recording, this time of music by Raphaël's father Dynam-Victor, is this one. But here, it's not the organ that's heavy, it's the music...

Some wild stuff from Raphael Fumet, indeed.

I first heard of this composer 6-7 years ago, and was quite taken with his works.

You can order his Toccata HERE

His father Dynam-Victor also wrote a lot of organ music - I've got a CD of some of it, and it is wonderful stuff... kind of Franck-ish (but better in spots, IMHO). Music of both father and son can be ordered from http://www.editions-delatour.com/

Just put Fumet in the "rechercher" (search) box, and the available works will come up (many available as inexpensive PDF downloads)

Cheers,

- G

I discovered this whilst wandering through itunes the other day - there's a cracking Toccata - I recommend downloading it.

Martin