Mander Organ Builders Forum

David Bednall

DaveHarries

Hi all,

Sometime back there was a thread in which the name of David Bednall as sub-organist of Bristol Cathedral came up.

It may be of interest to know that, following a search by my local church - that of St. Mary's, Stoke Bishop, Bristol - to replace the previous organist (John Gadsden, who died in October 2005 IIRC), David Bednall has got the job as Organist and Director of Music at St. Mary's. I believe he has had the job just over 2 weeks.

Dave

Hi all,

Sometime back there was a thread in which the name of David Bednall as sub-organist of Bristol Cathedral came up.

It may be of interest to know that, following a search by my local church - that of St. Mary's, Stoke Bishop, Bristol - to replace the previous organist (John Gadsden, who died in October 2005 IIRC), David Bednall has got the job as Organist and Director of Music at St. Mary's. I believe he has had the job just over 2 weeks.

Dave

Hi Dave

Sorry to dampen your fireworks, but he's had this post in the bag for a good while now - it was an important consideration in being able to afford his university studies. It's been fun working with him there for the Advent and Christmas Carol Services. However, what on EARTH is that Great Mixture? Classic 1970s "continental" broken glass. Great shame. Good organ otherwise...well, apart from the lack of Swell 8' Oboe...the usual gripe.

Hi Dave

Sorry to dampen your fireworks, but he's had this post in the bag for a good while now - it was an important consideration in being able to afford his university studies. It's been fun working with him there for the Advent and Christmas Carol Services. However, what on EARTH is that Great Mixture? Classic 1970s "continental" broken glass. Great shame. Good organ otherwise...well, apart from the lack of Swell 8' Oboe...the usual gripe.

Does he also remain as Sub Organist at Bristol Cathedral? And - Carol Service already?! Ours is on the 23rd....

Does he also remain as Sub Organist at Bristol Cathedral? And - Carol Service already?! Ours is on the 23rd....

Of course. A guy's gotta earn a living. Cathedral's only a weekday commitment.

Only Advent carols so far at Stoke Bishop; Christmas on 23rd.

"Classic 1970s "continental" broken glass"

(Quote)

A GREAT shortcut I shall re-use!

"Five octave gap between diapason chorus and the mixture."

The neo-baroque patient ?

Pierre

Fortunately, our mixtures are somewhat older (that on the G.O. dates from 1865). None of them shriek, scream or otherwise resemble empties being deposited in a bottle-bank. I assume that I am lucky....

Only Advent carols so far at Stoke Bishop; Christmas on 23rd.

Oh - OK; it was just that you wrote:

'It's been fun working with him there for the Advent and Christmas Carol Services.'

I thought that it was probably a little early.

:(

Oh - OK; it was just that you wrote:

'It's been fun working with him there for the Advent and Christmas Carol Services.'

I thought that it was probably a little early.

:(

Indeed. 'Fun' was the point, not dates - obviously. It's not Christmas yet. But we're working on it... ;)

I'm confused. If "a guy's gotta earn a living".. why for the love of God become a church organist?!!!

Because Noel Gallagher acheived fame and fortune first... Bedders will catch him up (or Richard Strauss at least).

But you're right, I'm earning more in my second year as a lawyer than in my last as a professional musician :(

Come on, Gareth, you're not really trying. Get yourself a Casio keyboard and drum machine and give the good shoppers of Paignton some quality carols!

;)

How do you expect me to be able to afford to buy a keyboard and a drum machine, Vox??? :(

Please could I borrow yours?

Because Noel Gallagher acheived fame and fortune first... Bedders will catch him up (or Richard Strauss at least).

But you're right, I'm earning more in my second year as a lawyer than in my last as a professional musician :P

Change of career then, Ian? I am suprised as you were always a good organist. Anyway:

1. Have you been playing at Stoke Bishop then?

2. If you think you have seen my name before, you have: you used to teach me the organ on the 1973 Rieger at Clifton Cathedral.....

Dave