Mander Organ Builders Forum

A Historic Little Scene!

Guest acc

I'd never have recognised the bloke on the right. Is it really Dupré? It looks more like Bonnet.

I know what you mean, but most of the pictures we see of dupre are of him when he is fairly older and we often only get side profiles of him. Here is a picture of him from 1903:

dupre_1903.jpg

There must be more of this sort of footage lurking around somewhere, I hope more of it turns up!

Incidentally, is it just me or does anyone else have problems streaming from Youtube?

It's not just you. I have a fast computer and an alleged 8Meg broadband connection but the film stops and stutters too often for me to bother with YouTube. It might be my wireless connection to the router that's holding things up but I doubt it.

It's not just you. I have a fast computer and an alleged 8Meg broadband connection but the film stops and stutters too often for me to bother with YouTube. It might be my wireless connection to the router that's holding things up but I doubt it.

Forgive me if this is obvious, but have you tried ignoring each clip until it has downloaded fully and then running it?

The computer on which I am currently running it (at school) is, frankly, pants - but it seems fine. The same cannot be said of Widor, who looks like a serial killer.

I also think that Mlle. Richepin should have patronised a different milliner. And, for that matter, the person responsible for the labelling of the various persons featured in the video, should have checked on the spelling of her name.

Forgive me if this is obvious, but have you tried ignoring each clip until it has downloaded fully and then running it?

For me the problem is not that the speed of the playback outstrips that of the downloading, but that the clips download only so far and then stop. For example the Bonnet clip above stopped streaming at just after 1 min and would not go any further no matter how long I waited. I tried it again and the streaming failed even earlier. The third time the clip trefused even to start. The problem has been particularly bad since I acquired a new computer a couple of months ago, though I can't see why that should be a problem. Broadband speed tests show that I'm consistently getting download rates of 3.9 mb. Even from US and Asian servers I am still getting in excess of 2 mb.

For me the problem is not that the speed of the playback outstrips that of the downloading, but that the clips download only so far and then stop. For example the Bonnet clip above stopped streaming at just after 1 min and would not go any further no matter how long I waited. I tried it again and the streaming failed even earlier. The third time the clip trefused even to start. The problem has been particularly bad since I acquired a new computer a couple of months ago, though I can't see why that should be a problem. Broadband speed tests show that I'm consistently getting download rates of 3.9 mb. Even from US and Asian servers I am still getting in excess of 2 mb.

Weird.

Have you tried kicking your computer?

I know what you mean, but most of the pictures we see of dupre are of him when he is fairly older and we often only get side profiles of him. Here is a picture of him from 1903:

dupre_1903.jpg

There must be more of this sort of footage lurking around somewhere, I hope more of it turns up!

Actually, this picture is pretty close to the video:

widor_10.jpg

(click on the picture to enlarge it).

btw. nice to see Widor smiling as ever :P

That depends on the company he's in — Dupré couldn't possibly compete with this one, now, could he? grinning-smiley-001.gif

widor_11.jpg