Mander Organ Builders Forum

Bargain Organ Cds

Mark Taylor

There are some bargain organ CDs around at the moment which I thought people here might find of interest.

A real bargain at £5.99 for two discs is the third part of Bach’s Clavierübung performed by Matteo Messori on two interesting organs (the 1746 Scheibe organ in the Parish Church of Zschortau; and the 1724-30 Trost organ in the town church of Waltershausen). This is on the Brilliant label.

Also on Brilliant is a compete Messiaen set by Willem Tanke on the Adema/Schreurs Organ of St. Bavo. This is on eight discs for around £18. I am a bit confused by this because when I think of as St Bavo’s I think of the organ by Christian Muller. Please could someone could enlighten me? Are there two St Bavos or two organs in St Bavo’s?

On the Classico label there is a complete set of Buxtehulde’s organ music by Ulrik Spang-Hanssen for around £17. He uses five organs: Praesto Church, Denmark (Carsten Lund, 1988); Noordbroek (Schnitger); Norden Ludgerikirche (also Schnitger); Roskilde Cathedral (Raphaelis Rottenstein-Pock, 1555); and St Louis, Vichy (Aubertin).

People might also be interested to note that volume six of Rubsam’s Rheinberger series on Naxos is among that label’s new releases for January.

Please could someone could enlighten me? Are there two St Bavos or two organs in St Bavo’s?

Yes, in Haarlem you'll find a protestant church St.Bavo in the centre (at the market), which houses the Muller organ (which is a property of the city, not the church).

Then you'll find a RomanCatholic cathedral basilica of St.Bavo at the canal (somewhat out of the centre) build in the 20th century, which houses the Adema organ (which came from Amsterdam)

Confusing indeed: the protestant did away with Saints and many other 'catholic' things, but keep names related to churches (Grote- of St. Bavokerk) and sundays (like 'sunday Jubilate' - referring to the old gregorian introitus, which they don't sing).

Also on Brilliant is a compete Messiaen set by Willem Tanke on the Adema/Schreurs Organ of St. Bavo. This is on eight discs for around £18. I am a bit confused by this because when I think of as St Bavo’s I think of the organ by Christian Muller. Please could someone could enlighten me? Are there two St Bavos or two organs in St Bavo’s?

The Adema organ was built 1921/3 for the St-Willibrordus church in Amsterdam and was transfered to Haarlem in 1971. In the rebuilding, a Rückpositiv division had been added which in the meantime has been relocated and now forms a "Kroonpositief" within the main case (if you might call it that).

This organ is a wonderful intrument for the symphonic repertoire. I fell for Widor's Eighth when I heard it on an LP recorded by Thijs Kramer on that instrument.

See details and pictures at

http://www.orgelland.nl/orgels/haarlem/rkbavo/default.htm

http://www.orgelsite.nl/kerken15/haarlem1.htm

(In case you don't know Wim Verburg's "orgelsite", explore -- it is the very dream of an organ site.)

Best,

Friedrich

Confusing indeed: the protestant did away with Saints and many other 'catholic' things, but keep names related to churches (Grote- of St. Bavokerk) and sundays (like 'sunday Jubilate' - referring to the old gregorian introitus, which they don't sing).

Some do, or at least have it read, or choose the introitus as a starting point for the sermon. The Lutheran tradition can look more catholic than many a catholic would expect. On high holidays, the lutheran service is actually a regular mass, complete with proprium and ordinarium and including an elaborate, and sometimes even sung, eucharist liturgy. On such occasions, it is only the balance between sermon and eucharist -- and of course centuries of dogmatics -- that make the difference between a lutheran service and a catholic mass.

Best,

Friedrich

in Haarlem you'll find a protestant church St.Bavo in the centre (at the market), which houses the Muller organ ...

Then you'll find a Roman Catholic cathedral basilica of St.Bavo at the canal

Thanks for explaining about the two St Bavos. I had a similarly confusing experience a few months back when I bought what I thought was a CD of the J W Walker organ (1840) in St Patrick’s Cathedral, Armagh, Northern Ireland. Only to find that there are two St Patrick’s in Armagh and that what I had on the CD was the restored Telford organ in the Roman Catholic Cathedral (the Walker organ is in the Church of Ireland Cathedral).

I was not aware of Wim Verburg's orgelsite – it looks very interesting. Thanks for that, Fredrich, I've added it to my "Favourites".

I’ve been adding pictures to my site recently (it is nowhere near as sophisticated as Wim Verburg's site, but it now has 50 pictures of organs!).

"A real bargain at £5.99 for two discs is the third part of Bach’s Clavierübung performed by Matteo Messori on two interesting organs (the 1746 Scheibe organ in the Parish Church of Zschortau; and the 1724-30 Trost organ in the town church of Waltershausen). This is on the Brilliant label."

(Quote)

I did not hear it, but the choice of the organs is outstanding.

Zchortau's is the only Scheibe we still have.

I shall buy that one.

Pierre

Talking of Brilliant, they have reissued the Signum 3-CD set of Filsell playing the Vierne symphonies at St Ouen. You can currently pick them up on eBay for the price of a single CD. If you haven't already got them they are just totally glorious. An unmissable bargain.

Talking of Brilliant, they have reissued the Signum 3-CD set of Filsell playing the Vierne symphonies at St Ouen. You can currently pick them up on eBay for the price of a single CD. If you haven't already got them they are just totally glorious. An unmissable bargain.

Second this. The inlays are identical in content to the Signum set, so you're not missing out on anything by going for the Brilliant.

Don't bother with e bay. I got mine for about two thirds of that price from HMV:

http://www.hmv.co.uk/hmvweb/simpleSearch.d...mp;primaryID=-1

An absolute snip at £6.99 and delivered in under a week! Everyone is dead reight about the playing though. I have the Ben van Oosten set too which are excellent, but these really put even his recordings in the shade!

Don't do yourself down, David. I found your CD hugely enjoyable and can promise you I shall be listening to it more than some full price ones I have. And the discount you are offering is really quite generous.

Why thank you, kind sir!!! Quite surprised at the amount of interest there's been actually...

Don't do yourself down, David. I found your CD hugely enjoyable and can promise you I shall be listening to it more than some full price ones I have. And the discount you are offering is really quite generous.

I agree with VH having derived much pleasure from this CD. Although I have not heard the Romsey Abbey live it comes across in this recording as a delightful instrument with committed and very musical performances. I especially liked the Warlock Capriol Suite. Recommended.

Don't bother with e bay. I got mine for about two thirds of that price from HMV:

http://www.hmv.co.uk/hmvweb/simpleSearch.d...mp;primaryID=-1

An absolute snip at £6.99 and delivered in under a week! Everyone is dead reight about the playing though. I have the Ben van Oosten set too which are excellent, but these really put even his recordings in the shade!

Looking to see if there was anything similar for Widor on Amazon, I came across this previously unknown arrangement from the maître of St Sulpice: http://tinyurl.com/3yx4ky

Could anyone recommend any particular recordings of Franck?

Without hesitation I would recommend Daniel Roth on Motette. One can actually forget it's organ music and hear chamber ensemble, piano or symphony orchestra. I realise that some recent scholarship suggests Franck's tempi were actually significantly faster than represented by the two traditions of received wisdom (one from Tournemire via Langlais, the other through Guilmant and Dupré), but Roth's playing is just so opulent, expressive and mature. He also matches date of composition to period of organ.

Could anyone recommend any particular recordings of Franck?

Yes.

Have the Guillou, on Brilliant classics. Bargain prince, brilliantly recorded (originally Dorian). Exciting listening experience guaranteed.

If you want more Franck in it, however, turn to Jeanne Demessieux (Festivo).

Best,

Friedrich

Absolutely, I picked them up when they first appeared and don't feel at all cheated for having paid full price. I know the organ wasn't in the best of states and that quite a bit of the recordings were done at anti social hours due to the noise facotrs, but they are superb.

Incidentally, I picked up the complete Bach/Hurford for around £30. Well worth it, some idiosyncratic moments, but considering how long ago they were recorded, they have aged well.