Mander Organ Builders Forum

Music Desk Arm Prong Thingies

mrbouffant

My regular instrument had a new console in 1990. I now find the music desk arm prong thingies are starting to break. They are screwed into the lip of the music desk, but one snapped off during 9 lessons and carols this year, and although we can probably take the thing to bits and get the screwy bit out, I fancy it is time to replace all the others too.

Question is though, where do I get them from? They are pretty sturdy beasts, about 1.5 inches long, with a screwy end. They are brass, I think... Any ideas as to a possible supplier would be much appreciated.

With thanks!

My regular instrument had a new console in 1990. I now find the music desk arm prong thingies are starting to break. They are screwed into the lip of the music desk, but one snapped off during 9 lessons and carols this year, and although we can probably take the thing to bits and get the screwy bit out, I fancy it is time to replace all the others too.

Question is though, where do I get them from? They are pretty sturdy beasts, about 1.5 inches long, with a screwy end. They are brass, I think... Any ideas as to a possible supplier would be much appreciated.

With thanks!

I'm almost completely sure that Kimber Allen will have them in stock. I suggest you ring up and ask.

Their number is 01322 663234

With thanks!

If K-A don't have them, I got some from a shop which sold restored pianos. They gave them to me without charge. You could always try a piano tuner too.

With thanks!

Try these two firms. I've bought from both:-

http://www.uk-piano.org/piano_parts.html

http://www.fletcher-newman.co.uk/

Good hunting,

David Wallace

With thanks!

Hi

I've never had any problem sourcing them from shops that sell real pianos. I bought a pair a month or so ago - cost me £2.00 - from stock. Just make sure that the hole is not too tight or too loose when you fit them.

Every Blessing

Tony

Guest Hector5

With thanks!

When I was involved with the toaster business, we found that a tiny amount of vaseline worked wonders before we screwed the retainers in , and had far less breakages. The big problem comes with removing the often dug-in residue. One of our chapel lot invented a device with you screwed in, in the hole, and it 'screwed' out the offending broken article - with the result that there was no cosmetic damage to the nice music desk. I'll try and get in touch and see if he's still got the little gizmo, or can make another (he's a watch and clock restorer, so used to inventing cunning little devices). Better still, forget the little buggers - I've taken them off our nice nice music desk. All music is organized so that it sits properly on the desk. I've ruined many a music book by their very presence!!!!!!

Hector

just one little tip.....make sure you get brass ones, they are also available in plated steel, but steel screwed into oak sets up a reaction with the tannins in the wood, which will seize up the screw and eventually cause breakage again.

... Better still, forget the little buggers - I've taken them off our nice nice music desk. All music is organized so that it sits properly on the desk. I've ruined many a music book by their very presence!!!!!!

Hector

This is only a good idea if you can guarantee that every book and score will stay open flat at the required page - and allow you to turn pages and still stay open without having to keep slapping it back, or actually holding it in place with one hand.

Personally, I have never been that fortunate - virtually every service will require the use of at least one item which will not stay open without being restrained. It is occasionally also useful to have a music hook positioned behind a page with an awkward turn - or a page which has to be turned very quickly.

This is only a good idea if you can guarantee that every book and score will stay open flat at the required page - and allow you to turn pages and still stay open without having to keep slapping it back, or actually holding it in place with one hand.

Personally, I have never been that fortunate - virtually every service will require the use of at least one item which will not stay open without being restrained. It is occasionally also useful to have a music hook positioned behind a page with an awkward turn - or a page which has to be turned very quickly.

Yes, indeed.

I did, however, remove some from an organ once. They were two additional hooks which were evidently manufactured by an amateur from a coat hanger, or something similar. They were quite sharp (!) and repeatedly tore scores.