Mander Organ Builders Forum

Highest/scariest Organ Loft?

biggestelk

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a vague memory that this organ was up high on the North side of the choir in this remarkable church (St Mary, Clumber Park) but I was only about 12 when our church choir paid a visit.

A bit vertiginous, I agree, but strangely disappointing despite its pedigree, probably as a result of much of the pipework being buried in the chamber. The sandstone must soak up much of the sound as well. The building itself (by Bodley) is quite stunning.

JS

Crumbs!

There's a photo of it on NPOR. Although it isn't terribly clear, it looks as if they might have put up some sort of screen behind the organ console. Let's hope they have!

Hmmm - personally I think that Saint Stephen's, Bornemouth would be more frightening for someone who did not like heights. The loft is somewhat higher up and the stone parapet is actually lower than the top of the bench. There is no screen or curtain rail; neither is there much room behind the bench.

Hmmm - personally I think that Saint Stephen's, Bornemouth would be more frightening for someone who did not like heights. The loft is somewhat higher up and the stone parapet is actually lower than the top of the bench. There is no screen or curtain rail; neither is there much room behind the bench.

How long will it be before the "Health & Safety" tendrils reach out into this area?

FF

How long will it be before the "Health & Safety" tendrils reach out into this area?

FF

Not long I suspect, but I think we may need to get an exemption or something similar. Judging by the recent case of the rescue worker who was criticised for saving someone's life because he broke H&S rules by climbing down a cliff to reach her!

Jonathan

Guest Barry Williams

I disagree that organs and organists need any exemption whatsoever. This type of problem can be resolved easily and at no great expense. It will need a Faculty.

The church should provide a safe working environment for its workers. The church is not exempt from Health and Safety matters, though some of its full time representatives think they are above the law generally.

Barry Williams

I disagree that organs and organists need any exemption whatsoever. This type of problem can be resolved easily and at no great expense. It will need a Faculty.

The church should provide a safe working environment for its workers. The church is not exempt from Health and Safety matters, though some of its full time representatives think they are above the law generally.

Barry Williams

Suggested modification to last line "........ think they are above the law completely".

FF

Guest Barry Williams
Suggested modification to last line "........ think they are above the law completely".

FF

Thank you. I accept the suggested alteration absolutely.

"Be ye ne'er so high the law is above you" (Thomas Coke, some time Lord High Chancellor)

" I also am a man set under authority" (Paul of Tarsus)

Barry Williams

Guest Barry Williams
Hmmm.... I wonder if he was referring to his wife.

In respect of the house organ, yes. One day Her Ladyship awoke and proclaimed "It's no good. That thing has got to go!"

The 'thing' was a perfectly acceptable synthetic instrument that had served us well for practice. "I want a real one" was the next phrase and so, being the dutiful husband, I arranged for the sale of the said electronic piece of apparatus and we acquired a pipe organ for the house which June constructed with help from professional organ builders, all of whom had worked for our hosts at one time or another.

Not a bad exercise of authority?

Barry Williams

In respect of the house organ, yes. One day her Ladyship awoke and proclaimed "It's no good. That thing has got to go!"

The 'thing' was a perfectly acceptable synthetic instrument that had served us well for practice. "I want a real one" was the next phrase and so, being the dutiful husband, I arranged for the sale of the said electronic piece of apparatus and we acquired a pipe organ for the house which June constructed with help from professional organ builders, all of whom had worked for our hosts at one time or another.

Not a bad exercise of authority?

Barry Williams

Hi

And a very nice house organ it is too.

Every Blessing

Tony

Guest Barry Williams
Hi

And a very nice house organ it is too.

Every Blessing

Tony

Thank you, Tony.

If any other Board member is coming to Beddington and would like to play the organ they are very welcome. Please send an email.

Barry Williams

Thank you, Tony.

If any other Board member is coming to Beddington and would like to play the organ they are very welcome. Please send an email.

Barry Williams

I can recommend a viewing/trial strongly to anyone considering buying or creating any kind of practice pipe organ for a normal house. Even time-served trade professionals would do well to study what has been achieved. Barry and June's house organ is a most satisfying and clever instrument; particularly praiseworthy is the way that worthy old ranks have been given a new lease of life.

Barry Williams

I suspect I am falling into their way of thinking!

I really must try to be more careful!!

Jonathan

Guest Barry Williams
I suspect I am falling into their way of thinking!

I really must try to be more careful!!

Jonathan

This is best done by avoiding ordination.

Barry Williams

• 3 years later...

I came across this thread while looking for something else, so this is a reawakening of one that slept.

St. Patrick's Cathedral, Dublin, has a high organ loft with a sturdy but not solid rail. Part of the approach is via a free-standing spiral staircase which can be off-putting. Christ Church isn't so high but is smaller and considered quite hairy - somewhat like Chester.

However, the scariest experience I've ever had was a bell-ringing one. It wasn't Pershore, although that's pretty terrifying (for the benefit of non-ringers, Gilbert Scott removed the ringers' floor to expose a fine ceiling and replaced it with a cage supported by beams. It's not possible to fall out of it, but it has put off a lot of ringers. The approach, along one of the said beams, is even worse). St. Augustine & St. John, Dublin, between Christ Church and the Guiness Brewery, is one of the very few RC churches with a ring of bells. The tower is integral with the west wall and to get to the ringing room, one ascends to the west gallery, goes through the organ and is then faced with a long iron spiral stairway with minimal railings. Guaranteed to make all your bowels move, as the Scottish Paraphrases say, especially as it creaks and wobbles.

My wife found page-turning at St. Paul's quite unnerving.

St. Matthew, Shankhill Road, Belfast, has a west gallery organ with a detached console on a platform. I can't remember if the platform is actually higher than the gallery rail, but it's not far off. I heard a few years ago that they'd changed tuners and the new one declined to tune it because he considered the console position was unsafe.

The CN Tower in Toronto - until recently, and possibly still, the world's tallest building - also has a glass-floored portion in the main 'pod'. I didn't have the nerve to walk on it.

When I took Belfast Cathedral Choir to New York in July 2001, I didn't have time to go up the World Trade Centre, although everyone else did. We gave our tickets to friends of my wife's, who were due to visit in September. On September 9th, they missed the bus to the World Trade Centre and had to take a later one. If they hadn't been late, they would have been in the WTC, using our tickets, when the terrorist attacks happened. It still chills my blood to think about it....

The route to the (west gallery) organ at Bourges Cathedral in central France involves quite an interesting wander through semi unprotected triforia walk ways :blink: 'Well worth it though - view wise and organ wise.

A

The route to the (west gallery) organ at Bourges Cathedral in central France involves quite an interesting wander through semi unprotected triforia walk ways :blink: 'Well worth it though - view wise and organ wise.

A

And the previous Titulaire was blind at Bourges!

Metz Cathedral takes a lot of beating as you have to walk over the sloping roof of the South Choir Aisle (not on a frosty day) and re-enter the Cathedral at Triforium height through a window. Then one has a substantial and mostly unprotected expedition of many meters to reach the Renaissance organ that hangs about 100ft from the floor of the Nave. The tiny little bird's nest of a console allows the players to see the length of the building every time you (dare to) change stops. One has to be more than a fanatic/lunatic to be an organist there.

N

St Michaels Croyden, is one scary organ loft :blink:

But it whas when i almost fell from the top of all hallows gospel oak that gave me my fear of heights

Matty

I saw this page of Cologne Cathedral http://www.koelner-dom.de/16955.html?&L=1 and the Klais mounted high up on the wall. I am ***** scared of heights and nothing on this planet would get me up there! Even St Michaels Croydon worried me quite a bit at first! Anyone else uncomfortable with heights and had to play with your fingernails digging into the top manual?

Regards, Oliver.