Mander Organ Builders Forum

Request For Information

ecnice

Hello fellow members of the board,

I am planning a month long visit to the UK in April 2008. I am hoping that I will be able to hear some of the English church organs and choirs in person at last. I noticed that the Oxbridge colleges have term break until about the 21st April. Do cathedral organists and choirs follow the same pattern?

Any information will be appreciated. Thank you.

Hello fellow members of the board,

I am planning a month long visit to the UK in April 2008. I am hoping that I will be able to hear some of the English church organs and choirs in person at last. I noticed that the Oxbridge colleges have term break until about the 21st April. Do cathedral organists and choirs follow the same pattern?

Any information will be appreciated. Thank you.

Full Term at Cambridge commences Tues 21 April, which means, I think, that chapel services will commence on Thu 23rd.

You will probably find most cathedral choirs on holiday at the beginning of April, being in the aftermath of a very early Easter. The Cathedral choirs tend to take a couple of weeks break after Easter Sunday: perhaps you ought to give a couple of cathedrals a call (or send an email) to find out exactly when their choirs will be back. Most of them have web sites.

If you are here for a month don't forget to come up north where everything is less frantic than London, with some superb scenery and wonderful churches - York, Selby, Beverley, Ripon and Durham for starters.

Tip: get hold of a copy of "England's Thousand Best Churches" by Simon Jenkins (Penguin Press).

• 2 weeks later...
Thank you to all those who replied. Your replies were helpful.

The annual booklet Singing in Cathedrals published by The Friends of Cathedral Music may help. The 2007 edition is downloadable from the link at the top of the page here. The 2008 edition has yet to appear. Check carefully; the very early Easter (not since 1913 has this happened - and apparently it won't happen again this century) may cause a variety of starting dates for the easter term as far as [choir] schools are concerned.

Check carefully; the very early Easter (not since 1913 has this happened - and apparently it won't happen again this century) may cause a variety of starting dates for the easter term as far as [choir] schools are concerned.

It's certainly done some weird things as far as my school is concerned!

AJJ

It's certainly done some weird things as far as my school is concerned!

AJJ

Yes, me too, we're having only a 3 and a half week half term this term, yet my mum's school are having Easter weekend and working another week and a half, then having the Easter holidays. Anyone know if Easter can be any earlier? I don't have my BCP to hand and that very useful chart in the front with Golden Years etc.