Mander Organ Builders Forum

Cochereau Improvises

flûte harmonique

This video isn't from the Solstice DVD - There's a similar bit of footage (which might be from the same improv) where he goes into a rather stodgy fugue on Organo Pleno with 2' Chamade in the Pedal before and building up to Full organ.

I love the Cochereau DVD, but watching it makes me want to see the performances in full, particularly the 1964 interview with Bernard Gavoty where he is given a theme by Dupre. I e-mailed Solstice suggesting they might consider such a DVD of complete performances but was quickly told there was no market for such a compilation.

It's interesting that the recent series of EMI Classics DVD's have created an incredible upsurge of popularity, particularly among younger musicians, of some formerly obscure pianists, above all Georges Cziffra (Thanks to this particular video - another bit of Gavoty footage co-incidentally).

I wonder if it could do the same for Cochereau and organ improvisation in general. It just seems a shame that the only complete impov on the DVD is the little scherzo he does at the opening of the Crystal Cathedral organ. (Plus Pincemaille's improv on C-O-C-H-E-R-E-A-U at St Denis)

That aside, for the best improvisation video around at the moment, you need look no further than Daniel Roth's demonstration of the St. Sulpice organ.

This video isn't from the Solstice DVD - There's a similar bit of footage (which might be from the same improv) where he goes into a rather stodgy fugue on Organo Pleno with 2' Chamade in the Pedal before and building up to Full organ.

I love the Cochereau DVD, but watching it makes me want to see the performances in full, particularly the 1964 interview with Bernard Gavoty where he is given a theme by Dupre. ...

I agree. Much as I like the DVD, I would have preferred to have had considerably less footage of people talking about Cochereau and a lot more of him actually playing - particularly improvising.

I love the Cochereau DVD, but watching it makes me want to see the performances in full, particularly the 1964 interview with Bernard Gavoty where he is given a theme by Dupre. I e-mailed Solstice suggesting they might consider such a DVD of complete performances but was quickly told there was no market for such a compilation.

It's interesting that the recent series of EMI Classics DVD's have created an incredible upsurge of popularity, particularly among younger musicians, of some formerly obscure pianists, above all Georges Cziffra (Thanks to this particular video - another bit of Gavoty footage co-incidentally).

I wonder if it could do the same for Cochereau and organ improvisation in general. It just seems a shame that the only complete impov on the DVD is the little scherzo he does at the opening of the Crystal Cathedral organ. (Plus Pincemaille's improv on C-O-C-H-E-R-E-A-U at St Denis)

That aside, for the best improvisation video around at the moment, you need look no further than Daniel Roth's demonstration of the St. Sulpice organ.

Actually, this video is a fragment of a recording that was used by Solstice for the DVD. The improvisation lasts about 20 minutes in the form of "Thème et variations". The abstract you can see on youtube comes just before the toccata finale. One of the reason why Solstice (Yvette Carbou)did'nt use the old recordings to show PC' performances more in details is linked to financial issues. One minute of programme tv recording costed so much that it impeded them to fully benefit from the images bank managed by INA (institut national de l'audiovisuel)!