Mander Organ Builders Forum

Youtube

Justadad

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The links to Diane Bish are very good fun - I thought this was a bit of a bizarre registration
. But it made me think of the Allypallyorgan site http://allypallyorgan.org.uk/recordings.php the recording of Dupre playing the Widor V Allegro Vivace is scorching. Is anyone here involved with the restoration project by any chance?

Somehow, I don't think Mander Forum readers will be reminiscing about the Diane Bish recording in 79 years time! Even considering the poor recording quality, the registration seems to follow neither the spirit nor the letter of the composer's indications. The Dupré is superb and the recording is amazing given its age.

JC

... the recording of Dupre playing the Widor V Allegro Vivace is scorching.

By sheer coincidence, I listened to this CD from start to finish just a few days ago, and the effect of these old recordings caught me quite by surprise. I think it's about time that a snippet of the other scorching Dupre performance - the first movement of the Widor VI - found its way to that page, and it has...

There are many wonderful moments here, but one of my personal favourites is Goss-Custard's build-up to full swell in "AD1620" which is still awe-inspiring no matter how many times one listens to it!

Hi

I don't often visit Youtube - but a friend passed on this link - well worth a listen:-

>

It's a track froma forthcoming CD by the Scott brothers of Piano & harmonium duets. The harmonium is a Mustel Art Harmonium.

Every Blessing

Tony

Hi

I don't often visit Youtube - but a friend passed on this link - well worth a listen:-

>

It's a track froma forthcoming CD by the Scott brothers of Piano & harmonium duets. The harmonium is a Mustel Art Harmonium.

Every Blessing

Tony

My favourite Fauré chanson. Beautiful.

• 2 weeks later...

I've just been on a small voyage of discovery around the stunning Hinsz organ of Kampen, courtesy of YouTube. Ab Weengenaar's playing is very fine - detailed, musical, poised and sensitive to both music and instrument alike. His playing is interesting to observe to in the light of recent discussions on this subject elsewhere on the board.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWzLvxj_IlQ - This music probably won't be to some people's taste (especially to some on this board) especially if they don't like Mozart. However, even they will had to concede it's beautifully played on a stunning organ. And it'll make you feel good!

- Who says 18th century organs can't play romantic music?!

- This is what Vox Humanas are really about! Nice 16' Dulzian/Fagot in the opening too.

- a tour inside the organ. Everyone interested in the insides of organs will be interested in this; those who know lots about the insides of organs will be very impressed. There are also some nice C17 frescos for those not interested in the insides of the organs. It also helps if you can understand Dutch.

Enjoy!!

I've just been on a small voyage of discovery around the stunning Hinsz organ of Kampen, courtesy of YouTube. Ab Weengenaar's playing is very fine - detailed, musical, poised and sensitive to both music and instrument alike. His playing is interesting to observe to in the light of recent discussions on this subject elsewhere on the board. ......

There are also some nice C17 frescos for those not interested in the insides of the organs. It also helps if you can understand Dutch.

Like other DVDs from Kampen, this is excellent, in spite of one of the posted comments, "what is this organ tone called it has that evil sound? I think its when you pull all the stops".

A Google search finds

http://www.abweegenaar.nl/discography/order.html

where there are two DVDs of improvisations, at 24.90 and 22.90 Euros, plus postage. With the aid of Babelfish I learn that one sends an order, and the supplier then replies by email stating the total cost, and giving details of their bank account. The goods are despatched after the money has been paid in. The problem that I have found with other similar Dutch websites is that they have no credit card facilitities, bank transfers are very expensive, and the cheapest way of paying is to post Euro notes, OK if the amount is just under a multiple of 5 Euros, not so good if it is just over a multiple of 5.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Cynic
!

A

Thankyou so much for posting this link.

It is an object lesson on how it is possible to play romantic music with maximum expression and still without any ostentation whatever. Wonderful!

I agree. I thought it was beautifully played even though I've never been a great fan of Schumann's organ music.

Incidentally, I am finding this website incredibly slow this evening. Is this just me or does everyone else have the same problem?

Malcolm

It is a wee bit slower than usual, but there again my mobile modem thing is slow anyhow.

Is it just me being a non P.C. savvy butcher, but I have now got that Real Player, and it downloads these u tube videos, and you can "save" them, and then burn them,

I have just found out after all these years :)

Peter

I've just been on a small voyage of discovery around the stunning Hinsz organ of Kampen, courtesy of YouTube. Ab Weengenaar's playing is very fine - detailed, musical, poised and sensitive to both music and instrument alike. His playing is interesting to observe to in the light of recent discussions on this subject elsewhere on the board.

- This is what Vox Humanas are really about! Nice 16' Dulzian/Fagot in the opening too.

Enjoy!!

Yes indeed!

I thought the Ab Weegenaar Psalm 22 very interesting - after a long struggle I located here what I hope is the the score, Message Boarders might be interested.

*****PPS (April 22) I have just found out that this is published in the Klavarscribo notation!******

PS You can have a look at the first two pages of Psalm 22 Variation 3 at the end of this download

!

A

Thank you for this link!! Tom Murray's performance of these canonic studies and the sketches are superb - there's a fine recording of his by JAV on the Schoenstein at Lincoln, Nebraska - well worth having!

This music is much, much harder to play than it sounds. To play it with this level of control and to make it sound so effortless and musical is a major feat of organ playing. I play this piece so know exactly what he's doing and Tom Murray's performance still leaves me in wondrous admiration.

I've yet to come across a recording of the Schumann BACH Fugues that I like. Any suggestions?

"Thank you for this link!! Tom Murray's performance of these canonic studies and the sketches are superb - there's a fine recording of his by JAV on the Schoenstein at Lincoln, Nebraska - well worth having!

This music is much, much harder to play than it sounds. To play it with this level of control and to make it sound so effortless and musical is a major feat of organ playing. I play this piece so know exactly what he's doing and Tom Murray's performance still leaves me in wondrous admiration."

Yes, absolutely. But you have to acknowledge the very very idiosyncratic juxtaposition of aesthetics which it (and the Lincoln, Nebraska CD) presents. This is Schumann according to the tastes of the 1920s. Early romantic piano music 'orchestrated' using ULTRA-late romantic playing techniques and sound world. Its as far from Schumann as Guillou is from Franck.

Which isn't to say it isn't marvellous...

:)

Bazuin