Mander Organ Builders Forum

Youtube

Justadad

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just stumbled across
of our good host Mr. Mander visiting the Sydney Town Hall organ with Robert Ampt at the console. It is interesting to be a fly on the wall as they examine individual stops and choruses, search (nearly in vain) for tierces, and pay respects to the 64' Contra Trombone. By my lights it looks like a great way to spend an afternoon!

Edit: Here is the specification for anyone needing a link.

Thank you for this, I found it fascinating. Even allowing for the sound quality on the recording, the hall seems to be somewhat more resonant than I had expected.

I love the way he introduces vibrato into the organ tone by waving his wrists and arms around while holding keys down.

I hadn't realised that the Mashall and Jaeger (electronic) instrument is touch sensitive to that extent. Now wonder people are (supposedly) raving about it.

=============================

I always enjoy Cameron Carpenter's performances, which are ALWAYS an object-lesson in console-control and technique. Maybe he's a bit young and fired up for his own good, but I have never, in all my life, seen ANYTHING which is quite so dangerously complex as this. Thumbing across 3 manuals, and fingering-up to the one above. It's mind-blowing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtKgOZX3DcU

:)

MM

=============================

I always enjoy Cameron Carpenter's performances, which are ALWAYS an object-lesson in console-control and technique. Maybe he's a bit young and fired up for his own good, but I have never, in all my life, seen ANYTHING which is quite so dangerously complex as this. Thumbing across 3 manuals, and fingering-up to the one above. It's mind-blowing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtKgOZX3DcU

:)

MM

============================

I'm going to be playing music for manuals only from now on!

Stay with this video until the quiet part; Cameron Carpenter makes the late Virgil Fox's pedal-technique look like that of an amateur.

:blink:

MM

I sometimes wonder what would result if Cameron Carpenter were to play something like Bach's Art of Fugue? What else can he offer beyond showy technical feats at the organ console?

I know we're unlikely to hear the results as CC is already a very closely managed product, carefully aimed a particular set of clientèles (one of the clientèles he's clearly aimed at is the gay community). I hear his management has even managed to get a recital at the Royal Albert Hall later in the year. I wish Louis Theroux would do a fly-on-the-wall documentary of Cameron Carpenter's lifestyle - it could make for interesting and rather revealing entertainment.

Just as an afterthought: How would CC cope with an historic organ with different console dimensions, a straight, flat, pedalboard, (heavy) mechanical action and no combination action for stop control?

I offer some second hand information for what it's worth, can't guarantee it's 100% accurate. C.C. paid a private visit to the UK earlier this year and played a few organs (maybe someone here has more information). Although a flamboyant player his personality is totally unlike Mr Curley, in fact quiet, reserved and extremely likeable.

I thought the Diane Bish Pomp and Circumstance clip I posted to her thread previously was, well, really slow and ponderous (though I didn't say so at the time for fear of exposing my ignorance).

Afterwards I watched her Bach T&F from St Bavo. I thought the intro a bit mannered but I have to say I enjoyed the rest of the performance, and the organ, very much.

It's worth taking the High Quality option (just under the Views tally).

Best wishes

J

I should like to think that Jim Treloar dashed off his message about Mr Carpenter without giving quite enough thought to his comment about Mr Curley. I don’t know Mr Curley well, but on the few occasions that I have had the pleasure of meeting him I have found him to be extremely likeable, very kind and considerate and excellent company. Certainly he has a flamboyant presentational style and expresses himself with great confidence, but I think that Mr Treloar may well have given an impression of Carlo that, I hope, he didn’t mean.

David Harrison

David,

As always I manage to express myself in exactly the opposite way I mean. Of course Carlo Curley is extremely likeable and good company, what I meant to convey was he could not be described as reserved which was what I was told was the impression Cameron Carpenter gave.

Thanks Jim; fair point. Sorry if you thought I was being a bit heavy handed, but as you know there has been quite a lot of mud slung around various parts of this forum and I'm glad you have put me right!

David Harrison

• 2 weeks later...
Olivier Latry at the Royal Albert Hall - Proms 2008

Great performance!!!

Wow! The way he effortlessly plays the last two pages of Transports... the unison bit, with complete accuracy, relaxed and yet still very exciting is incredible. :lol:

I've watched those last two pages six times now!!! Amazing. :lol:

I saw the front page saying that was on an electronic organ and promptly didn't bother watching the rest of the clip.

On the other hand, has anyone heard Lous Vierne's "Hymne au Soleil"? I had never heard of the piece until I came across this clip which is played by Philippe Delacour on the 1903 Cavaillé-Coll Organ of Notre-Dame, Metz. Not as big an organ as Notre Dame, Paris but a grand sounding instrument nonetheless and a nice piece to boot. Doesn't sound like the easiest piece to learn.

Dave

On the other hand, has anyone heard Lous Vierne's "Hymne au Soleil"? ... Doesn't sound like the easiest piece to learn.

Depends. The notes take a lot less working out than Messiaen and if you're already au fait with Vierne's chromaticism it shouldn't take that long to get to grips with them. Technically it isn't difficult - it all falls under the fingers quite readily. Having said that, I don't actually play the piece, but I have sight read it through occasionally for fun. It should learn it - it's a good piece, though I'd fancy it with a touch more panache than M. Delacour gives it (though I can well imagine that his performance might have had much more impact in the flesh).

PS: If I ever invest in a Hauptwerk system, the sample of the Metz organ would be my very top priority!

Depends. The notes take a lot less working out than Messiaen and if you're already au fait with Vierne's chromaticism it shouldn't take that long to get to grips with them. Technically it isn't difficult - it all falls under the fingers quite readily. Having said that, I don't actually play the piece, but I have sight read it through occasionally for fun. It should learn it - it's a good piece, though I'd fancy it with a touch more panache than M. Delacour gives it (though I can well imagine that his performance might have had much more impact in the flesh).

I think that giving that piece too much more panache wouldn't be easy: the organ at Metz is smaller than Notre Dame in Paris but it looks - to me - as if you could get 4 manuals on that organ. Wonder why it was kept to three? If you had 4 manuals you could sure give it more panache then.

Nice playing by M. Delacour.

Dave

I think that giving that piece too much more panache wouldn't be easy: the organ at Metz is smaller than Notre Dame in Paris but it looks - to me - as if you could get 4 manuals on that organ. Wonder why it was kept to three? If you had 4 manuals you could sure give it more panache then.

Nice playing by M. Delacour.

Dave

How does having a fourth manual add much - or even anything - to the panache of a performance? :lol::lol::lol: