Mander Organ Builders Forum

Youtube

Justadad

I'm hoping not to appear too ignorant here, but can someone fill me in on who Diane Bish is? There are loads of youtube videos, and reading some of the comments posted by 'fans', she appears to have almost reached deity status in the organ world.

Have I missed something, or is she of the generation before my time?

'Big in the USA with her own TV programme I think - possibly generation before yours though. Lots of work done around the world on quite well known instruments - her technique is reputedly very fine. Lots of shimmering dresses and sparkles etc.!

A

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Judging by how shimmery the dresses are, I'd guess your assumption about which generation is correct! Is she still going?

She still crops up in The American Organist mag.

A

• 2 weeks later...
Also this is awful ! not really the playing, I mean the tone colors; this

is WALTERSHAUSEN, one of the true "Bach organs" we still have.

BWV 582 is excellent for displaying the incredible riches of the

baroque organ:

http://www.blockmrecords.org/bach/audio/mp3/BWV0582.mp3

Pierre

I wonder, Pierre, if you meant to write "awesome" rather than "awful*"? It sounds very fine to me both in the tone colours and the performance.

* The word has two different, but opposite, meanings in English, but is most commonly used to mean something bad.

JC

Now an unexpected one....The sound is bad, the organ obviously a post-romantic job,

but there is more Bach in that playing than in 10 average ones:

Have this player at Angermünde or Waltershausen, and the results will be

explosive...

Pierre

This one is awful. Given the description, I think Rieger developed a new type of action called mecahanical (trecker) which is slower than a bad exhaust pneumatic. I think the acoustic is exhaust pneumatic as well. It also shows a detached console to the right of the stage, not being used by a recitalist in a concert hall, perhaps they couldn't get it to speak at all from that.

The recording is certainly awful. So much so that I don't see how it is possible to judge either the performance or the instrument reliably from this (unauthorised?) video. Personally I found the performance quite breathtaking, though at face value a shade too fast - but it might perhaps have sounded clearer live. The organ seems a rather fine instrument of its type; I would like to hear a professional quality recording.

Now an unexpected one....The sound is bad, the organ obviously a post-romantic job,

but there is more Bach in that playing than in 10 average ones:

Have this player at Angermünde or Waltershausen, and the results will be

explosive...

Pierre

I have no particularly strong views over the chosen speed, but I am sorry to say that I found the performance rather wooden and inexpressive. Having written that, in fairness, it looks to be rather cold there.

I'm just wondering whether this was done with a mobile phone. I've heard similar quality from a phone, but can you zoom the picture on them? Don't have one myself so wouldn't know.

I can on my fobile moan - so I assume that it is possible to do this on other models.

I have no particularly strong views over the chosen speed, but I am sorry to say that I found the performance rather wooden and inexpressive. Having written that, in fairness, it looks to be rather cold there.

The player looks to be young and I would like to think it probable that greater warmth will come with age and experience.

I can on my fobile moan - so I assume that it is possible to do this on other models.

Merci, M'sieur.

Another recording of Vierne's Messe Solennelle appears to be in the offing. I should like to have seen more of Daniel Roth's playing...

There is no mention on JAV's website of it yet being available but I shall email and ask for a release date.

P