• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do we continue to scrap dogmas ?

About 100 years after Trost, but in a very close tradition:

Note -this is closer to the Trost than any neo-baroque organ-

Pierre

There's a lot of this talented organist and this superb instrument on Youtube. I just adore its sound. The colours in the Liszt

and
are simply stunning.

There's a lot of this talented organist and this superb instrument on Youtube. I just adore its sound. The colours in the Liszt
and
are simply stunning.

I have to say I think the Ad Nos is simply magnificent. Superb organist and magnificent organ which is perfect for the music. Played from memory and hand-registered throughout... :lol:

(love the free reed here)

Re. Pierre's discovery of his Mendelssohn - I've come across it too. :lol: It's fine - the latest RCO Journal has an interesting article that suggests Mendelssohn may not have played his own music in a Neo-Classical Bach inspired manner after all. Contemporary sources indicate he might have changed stops during movements and might not played everything detatche with micro-articulations.

Like many others, Mendelssohn belongs to a transition period.

And so the afficionados of both sides try to engulf him as "theirs"!

Mendelssohn sounds well on an early Walcker organ, but we should

also remember he played his works on the Joachim Wagner of

the Marienkirche, Berlin, at a time this organ had been brought

back to its Wagner state from the disastrous (for this organ!)

experiments of Abt. Vogler.

So Mendelssohn at Altenburg would be exactly as interesting

and historically credible.

So we have this:

.....But this one deserves an ear as well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNRLlNDu3zs...feature=related

Pierre

Pierre, your second example is played on a very thin neo-baroque - not sure if Mendelssohn's music deserves such fait ...

I know of quite "thinner" versions than that one...

Now between a Walcker an a Stumm, a Silbermann or a Trost organ,

what do we have ?

A Schulze or a Furtwängler organ. Armley or Buxtehude (the town!)

Pierre

At the other end of the artistic scale, one might say, how about

Compton from the Ambassador Cinema in Hounslow. If you are not a seasoned traveller, sea sickness pills required as the amount of tremulant will make you feel queasy!

"I have to say I think the Ad Nos is simply magnificent. Superb organist and magnificent organ which is perfect for the music. Played from memory and hand-registered throughout... :lol: "

Un-bel-iev-able. This guy is 21!! I'd like to see Cameron Carpenter do that... :lol:

Bazuin

Forum members may, or may not be aware that the Skinner organ at the Cathedral of St. John the Divine, New York has now been reinstalled.

It was removed following a serious fire in November 2001 which caused extensive smoke damage and required the whole of the interior of the Cathedral to be chemically cleaned.

video is part of the redidication service from November 2008 and features the famous 'State Trumpets'.

You will also find several other varied videos recorded within the last 5 months.

It's a vast building; the distance between the 'State Trumpets' and the console is a lot further than that at St. Paul's.

DT

So we have this:

Pierre

This young man gives a truly inspired performance in my opinion. - Excellent playing, and thank you Pierre for bringing this chap to our attention. I thoroughly enjoyed it!

This young man gives a truly inspired performance in my opinion. - Excellent playing, and thank you Pierre for bringing this chap to our attention. I thoroughly enjoyed it!

Interesting. If I'm honest, I found it a bit too ponderous and heavy. Mendelssohn's metronome marks are right for this piece! The recording and acoustic robs a lot of clarity but I don't think it's right to play it slower to compensate.

An intimate vision of the orchestral organ:

Pierre

Jeffrey Smith is now by the way at Grace Cathedral in San Francisco - there is a superb CD of the above (plus really well sung choral items) and also amongst other things a transcription of the slow movement of the Rachmaninov 2nd Symphony. The organ has been discussed on here before - very 'Schoenstein' - if you like that sort of thing (which I do very much) and very versatile. I'd love a few hours on it!

A

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know where Herr Kropf (former organist of Neuenfelde) has gone to recently: I can't remember when I last saw that he had posted on this forum.

However, for the benefit of anyone who has not yet heard the Schnitger organ at Neuenfelde comes this clip of Herr Kropf playing a piece (not sure which one) by Buxteheude on this instrument:

Nice instrument.

Dave