Mander Organ Builders Forum

Youtube

Justadad

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a Mathias fan and someone who plays his Processional, I've looked at the Recessional and wondered what it sounds like....and here it is!. Note also who is playing!

Having to listened to it a couple of times I now can't get the damn thing out of my head! Definitely one to learn though.

However, I realise some will think any time spent on Mathias might as well be spent watching paint dry.

As a Mathias fan and someone who plays his Processional, I've looked at the Recessional and wondered what it sounds like....and here it is!. Note also who is playing!

Having to listened to it a couple of times I now can't get the damn thing out of my head! Definitely one to learn though.

However, I realise some will think any time spent on Mathias might as well be spent watching paint dry.

Glad you liked it! It's quite an earworm, as they say :angry:

Glad you liked it! It's quite an earworm, as they say :angry:

Yeas, a terrific piece which I think is much more sophisticated that the earler Processional (though that's great fun too). I have been looking at his Antiphones lately which I am considering learning, and which I reckon to be a lot more profound - does anybody have experiences of that piece? (I suspect this calls for a new thread...)

Peter

Yeas, a terrific piece which I think is much more sophisticated that the earler Processional (though that's great fun too). I have been looking at his Antiphones lately which I am considering learning, and which I reckon to be a lot more profound - does anybody have experiences of that piece? (I suspect this calls for a new thread...)

Peter

Yes Antiphonies is a very fine piece. Well worth learning. I recall a thrilling broadcast of John Scott playing it in Chester Cathedral, back in the 80s. Cymbelstern 'n'all.

Went to Liverpool a few weeks ago and found a recital in the Met. William Mathias's name popped into my head, and I fished out Invocations when I got home. Why does no-one play it now, or is it one of those pieces that just needs to be brought back onto the collective radar ?

AJS

Went to Liverpool a few weeks ago and found a recital in the Met. William Mathias's name popped into my head, and I fished out Invocations when I got home. Why does no-one play it now, or is it one of those pieces that just needs to be brought back onto the collective radar ?

AJS

Yes another fine piece from Mathias. Unfortunately little seems to be known of his organ music other than Processional and Toccata Giocosa which crop up fairly regularly in recitals.

Peter

John Scott recorded the "complete" Matthias at St Pauls many years ago, I think there's been another recording by someone else since. As a listener, rather than a player, I've always been a bit worried by comments that some don't like the music as with repeated playing of the CD I find the music quite attractive; pleased to see that this latest thread indicates I'm not alone.

Another "Bach organ" featured on Youtube !

The Herbst organ of Lahm/Itzgrund was built 1728-1732.

Since 10 yers then (1718-1773), the titular was Johann Lorenz Bach,

a nephew -and pupil!- of J-S Bach. It is said the uncle was involved

in the specifications.....Which includes not ony a 32' Posaune, but also

a Grossquintbass 10 2/3' !

Both are illustrated here -please use your Hi-Fi system, otherwise the Posaune

will strike-:

(And yes, another one crammed with tierces).

Pierre

For the benefit of those who have not heard, or seen, Paul Jacobs other than by his advertisements in various music magazines such as C&O, here is one of him playing the organ of Crystal Cathedral, California, USA. Superb playing and, interestingly, no music in sight! The piece is by JS Bach.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hczd6WKMBUc

Dave

Superb playing. But I am puzzled; either the minister is extremely big or Paul Jacobs is extremely small. The minister towers over PJ.

What denomination is Crystal Cathedral? (I've nver heard of it before.) I notice that Paul Jacobs is very careful to avoid calling Messiaen a Catholic.

Malcolm

Thanks for that one !

It is very good, and reminds me of the good times

in Britain in the 70's.

Here is an interesting page about this organ, which would probably

not have survived in Britain:

http://www.organfocus.com/members/r_trant/..._magdalene.php3

Among the videos of the same poster, there is even the cherry and the Chantilly for the cake:

another old recording (1965) with Rhapsody N° 1 from Herbert Howells, played by the guy

the piece was dedicated to !

And it is really, really good:

Enough to have had a good day indeed!

Pierre

For the benefit of those who have not heard, or seen, Paul Jacobs other than by his advertisements in various music magazines such as C&O, here is one of him playing the organ of Crystal Cathedral, California, USA. Superb playing and, interestingly, no music in sight! The piece is by JS Bach.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hczd6WKMBUc

Dave

Marvellous playing, and what a wonderful organ !

Surely Paul Jacobs is a younger version of Carlo Curley, bring him to the UK !

Colin Richell.

Marvellous playing, and what a wonderful organ !

Surely Paul Jacobs is a younger version of Carlo Curley, bring him to the UK !

Colin Richell.

I don't think Carlo Curley plays the Reger arrangements of the Bach 2-part inventions, where the rh plays the original rh part, the lh plays a new part invented by Reger and the feet play Bach's original lh part. I saw Jacobs play three of these in New York a few years ago and was astounded; the F major invention was fast.

Superb playing. But I am puzzled; either the minister is extremely big or Paul Jacobs is extremely small. The minister towers over PJ.

What denomination is Crystal Cathedral? (I've nver heard of it before.) I notice that Paul Jacobs is very careful to avoid calling Messiaen a Catholic.

Malcolm

Information about the church can be found here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crystal_Cathedral

with a link to details about the organ.

Peter

AJS

I got my copy out with a view to relearning it - I last played it about 15 years ago! It is one of those old OUP editions, green cover with staves and the cover price? A princely £3.95!!

P

These are the 9 Video Diaries taken almost in their entirety by a group of Oxford Organ Scholars the other week. It was a study trip and also a moment for them to come together just before term starts. One is a graduate from Cambridge he knows St Antoine from courses there and had rather difficult withdrawal symptoms and so requested to join. One (who begins the Kyrie) reads Classics at Braesnose and has just started the organ from scratch. This is the very first time that they had had the opportunity of playing a French Baroque instrument and exploring the music of the same age. It was a fine gathering which inspired me no end.

On the 3rd Day we sang some of the Nivers chant to go with the Couperin Mass so that they had an idea how French Liturgy worked some centuries ago. It was a little quick, unrehearsed touch of historical re-enactment in the most basic sense - but something to fire them to delve deeper. I hope you forgive the odd NJA intrusion - but this is what was created.

Best wishes,

N

DAY ONE

DAY TWO

DAY TWOb

DAY TWOc - Messiaen's Tomb

DAY THREE

DAY THREE (Mass Pt 1)

DAY THREE (Mass Pt 2)

DAY FOUR

DAY FIVE (Final day)

Best wishes,

Nigel

PS Here is a link to the Pictures. Click on each and then on "Size" to get the large reproduction. Well worth it.

PICTURES

I thought these clips might be worth sharing.

The first one was recorded in the Jarhunderthalle (Centennial Hall) in Breslau - now Wroclaw - in Poland. The organ was first installed in 1911 by Sauer. It had 5 manuals, 200 stops & 15,133 pipes but this was enlarged in 1937 to 5 manuals, 222 stops and 16,706 pipes. After WW2 the organ was broken up with the greater part now forming the 5 manual, 150-stop, 13,207-pipe organ in the Cathedral of St. John the Baptist, Wroclaw, Poland. Most of the organ sits on a balcony but the pipes of 25 stops are housed in the Sanctuary of the Cathedral. The original console survives with all 222 stop tabs intact despite only 150 of those tabs working. I do not know what happened to the remaining 22 stops and 1573 pipes: were they made / incorporated into another organ elsewhere. Anyone know?

The recording was made by Gerhard Zeggert on 09th January 1937 and is part of JS Bach's Tocata & Fuge in D-Minor.

Onto something a little older. The music here is good even if you can't understand much (if any) German. Here is the organ of St. Jacob the Ender, Ludingworth, Germany played by Wolfgang Zerer. Sounds like a very nice instrument, parts of which go back to Antonius Wilde (1598) and Arp Schnitger (1682).

Something which is, in parts, older is the organ of St. Nicholas, Altenbruch, Germany. The first organ, of which a small amount survives, was built in 1497 but this instrument has been enlarged by the likes of Mahn (1577), Fritsche (1647), Dropa (1698) & Klapmeyer (1727). Still sounds very nice. Commentary in German. No idea on the age of the case but it looks fairly old. 1600s anyone?

Video:

Original Website: http://www.orgelstiftung.com/

Rough English Translation: http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=e...stiftung.com%2F

Hope thiese are of interest,

Dave

I got my copy out with a view to relearning it - I last played it about 15 years ago! It is one of those old OUP editions, green cover with staves and the cover price? A princely £3.95!!

P

You've made me look at the front of mine. As it's priced at 10 & 6 I suspect it's a first edition. Am revelling in the fact that, at long last I have a chamade reed to play it on.

AJS