Mander Organ Builders Forum

Youtube

Justadad

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can someone put some bones on this one please (no rags needed).

At 1.47 you get a good view of the maker's name on what's obviously a tpn console, but I can't get the resolution on my screen to be sure of what it says. Am a bit concerned given the context, that this might be a redundant 4 manual organ of reasonable pedigree in need of a good home.

Thanks

AJS

Can someone put some bones on this one please (no rags needed).

At 1.47 you get a good view of the maker's name on what's obviously a tpn console, but I can't get the resolution on my screen to be sure of what it says. Am a bit concerned given the context, that this might be a redundant 4 manual organ of reasonable pedigree in need of a good home.

Thanks

AJS

You could always ask the person who posted the video, I guess.

Guest Roffensis

(The organist plays for 90 seconds at the beginning to ehhhhhhhhhhhh get them in the mood?)

Bazuin

Very joyful.

I like the Clarinet when it comes in, very subtle. and the Choir really uplifted me, so much so that I feel closer to heaven.

R

Guest Roffensis
An other video showing Pierre Cochereau playing the 3rd mvt of Evocation of Dupré in NDP.

Sorry for the bad quality due to the old VHS tape.

The quality matters not, it's stunning :rolleyes: . He knew the organ and building well!!!.....

The only other Organist I have ever heard match that is Allan Wicks.

R

Having been D-of-M at the church a number of years ago I can confirm that this is indeed St Paul's West Street, Brighton although I have certainly never heard the organ sound anything like this before!

It is an incomplete 4 manual Hunter. There are drawstops for the Solo - a weird collection - but there was never any room for any pipework. There is a stopped 32' on the pedals derived from another rank (I can't remember which) but the bottom few pipes, although in situ, have never been connected up. The Great Twelfth, Fifteenth, Mixture and Trumpet, together with the Pedal 16' Trombone were all added in the late 1960s, during the incumbency of Fr John Milburn, who was very musical. If memory serves me correctly there still are a couple of "prepared for" stops on the pedals and "prepared for" Sesquialtera and Clarion on the Great. It is a fine instrument with a particularly rich and lovely full Swell but the action is in urgent need of renewal and all the pipework is crammed into the base of the tower. In a resonant churhc it would sound absolutely magnificent. Generally regarded as a sister instrument to the large Hunter in St Andrew's Worthing. If you know Brighton, it is just behind the Brighton Centre and the tower vaguely resembles a moon rocket. Although they have a loyal regular congregation and the best choir in Brighton by a very long way they are not exactly wealthy and it is unlikely that any major work on the organ could be contemplated. Currently they are necessarily having the nave floor renewed.

Without naming it I have referred to this church in posts on two other topics in the last few days. One was that on musical standards in church but I can't remember what the other topic was.

The church is kept open by a faithful band of church watchers from mid-morning until early afternoon every day and it is well worth visiting. If you like extreme Anglo Catholic worship then solemn Mass is Sunday at 11 am with a low Mass at 11.30am every other day. It was the first of the Wagner churches in the Anglo Catholic tradition in Brighton.

Malcolm

QUOTE (flûte harmonique @ Dec 29 2009, 05:25 PM) *

An other video showing Pierre Cochereau playing the 3rd mvt of Evocation of Dupré in NDP.

Sorry for the bad quality due to the old VHS tape.

Evocation by Cochereau

The quality matters not, it's stunning :rolleyes: . He knew the organ and building well!!!.....

R

Hear hear. Superlative. What technique! Quiet neatness + 'lift-it-off-the-page' showmanship.

Another interesting one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrFVTfGASpk

A bit fast maybe. But now THAT is a baroque Prinzipal chorus !

The Pedal won't go through little PC speakers, you need a Hi-Fi

installation to realize the Gravität.

Pierre

Not too fast for me! Just right and a very pleasing sound. The lack of continuity in the video editing was strange, but that isn't what matters here.

JC

....And here, with Zimbelstern and a splendid Tierce:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1ianrMfr6s...feature=channel

Here is an interesting page about this organ:

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orgel_der_Sta..._1730.2F1755.29

Do not miss the Mixture's specifications ! The BW Mixture, for example, ends up exactly

like a 4 ranks Cornet...

Pierre

Does anyone know anything about this lady :

She is currently in the UK, recording an arrangement/transcription of Prokofiev's Romeo & Juliet.

The Mendelssohn in the clip seems cleanly performed, though to me not the most thrilling choice of work to transcribe.

H

The Italian Symphony is a very fine piece indeed and she transcribes it extremely well. Just not sure it really comes across so well on the organ in a dry acoustic like that - nowhere to hide but she's so well prepared she doesn't need to!

I like the Stamm videos at Waltershausen. Is it just me or does he sometimes look a bit tense and uncomfortable on that organ? Before we start going on about historic organ consoles not being comfortable to play or "ergonomic", just watch someone like Jacques van Oortmersson play at the Waalse Kerk or Pieter van Dyke play at Alkmaar - both similarly historic organ consoles - but those two look very comfortable and graceful when they play, without a hint of tension and the resulting playing is very different in its character.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jnv8gjbx-0Q

Indeed, to have Jacques van Oortmerssen at Waltershausen

would be rather great....And his registration demonstrates

he would be happy with its specifications.

Now can an organ with six 8' flue stops on the Hauptwerk and tracker

action be "light, quick, responsive, sensitive, with a distinct pluck (etc)", akin

to a clavichord ? The question is open, but it is sure Waltershausen is the

complete antithesis to a neo-baroque organ. It is fully about tone, boldness,

warmth and colors.

Pierre