Mander Organ Builders Forum

Youtube

Justadad

At that point I think we begin to go round and round; in a better world,

we should now gather an go for an organ tour in Germany, where I could

design a little program featuring Trost, Wagner, Sterzing, Creutzburg organs

plus the only (little) Scheibe organ we still have....And end up the other side of the Atlantic

in Rochester (NY) to visit the Go-Art Casparini organ.

About the language question I open a new thread.

Pierre

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chaps, can we take this discussion on mixtures to another topic please - this (very fine) topic is getting diverted from its original purpose of sharing Youtube clips. Perhaps one of the proponents of the mixture debate can start a new topic or ressurrect one of the old topics on this subject?

whilst slightly bored this afternoon, I came upon this clip

Its been said that the original composer, who I am a big fan of, wrote this piece in about 1972, for a "concept album". It was recorded originally on the organ in St. Giles, Cripplegate, then had a drum and minimoog synth part added to it in the studio. The chap who is playing it, has made a CD or 2, of some of the "prog rock" of that era, played on a pipe organ (not a toaster) and also a piano

some will like it, and some will be mortified no doubt.

Peter

Just to give you all a little taste of what things look like on this side of the pond on Easter in my church:

Not what most of you are accustomed to, I'm sure, but hopefully it gives you a bit of an idea of what things

are like in my church....

Cheers,

- G

Chaps, can we take this discussion on mixtures to another topic please - this (very fine) topic is getting diverted from its original purpose of sharing Youtube clips. Perhaps one of the proponents of the mixture debate can start a new topic or ressurrect one of the old topics on this subject?

==============================

My title suggestion:-

"Diversion for Mixtures"

MM

• 2 weeks later...

Here's one unusual one; a video on which the organ blower is seen, but not the organist.

A fine performance of Bach's Little Fugue, BWV 578, played by Willem Tanke, with a beautifully clear organ tone and very clear contrapuntal lines.

... and another unusual one.

The organ in the small Dutch town of Zuidwolde is to be restored. The children of the village, led by the Mayor, process from the local organ builder's premises a few hundred yards away, to the church, and return to the workshop carrying the pipes.

I'm proud to share this with you all:

First piece from my concert (2 May)

Celebrating 20 years as a professional church musician!

Cheers,

- G

Guest Roffensis
Thierry Escaich titular at Saint Etienne du Mont (former Duruflé's organ) improvises a sortie de messe.

Funny to see that he uses Cochereau's style!

What a French din! :(

R

Guest Roffensis
:P

very good

And don't they sound just like.......... :( (not Chamades I might add)

R

We're back in business!!!!!!

Just when they think they've taken over, grab the "music group" drummer by the scruff of the neck and try this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwOQT3ASuNo...feature=related

I did recently ask a question about young Chinese pianists possibly becoming organists, and now we know at least part of the answer.

Love that console; it just needs sails fitting to it......it looks like junk.

MM

Now here is something VERY interesting, from an organist that I bet few have heard of in the UK.

There are some awful performances of the Bruhns E minor, a lot of very hurried and ill thought out performances of Bach and a lot of weary performances of the Lang "Tuba Tune," but here are three links which demonstrate a remarkable musical and artistic talent from James Pollard; a UK organist living and working in Amsterdam, but originally from Burnley.

I was absolutely thrilled to hear this, not least because I am fairly certain that the organist in question and myself met in unlikely circumstances in a bar in Burnley about a decade ago, and discovered that we shared a mutual friend, without knowing that the mutual friend knew two organists each unknown to the other! (Bizzare!)

The Bruhns is utterly magnificent, and played on the Bavo Orgel at Haarlem, with excellent sound quality.

The Bach C Major (the "Weimar") is so wonderfully controlled and musical.....an object lesson in Bach playing at the correct tempo.

The third clip is as magical as it is entertaining, because Mr Pollard CHANGES THE NOTES, to outstanding effect!!

Now, if only Mr Lang had written it this way, it would have been a lot better.

Enjoy.

BRUHNS

BACH

LANG

MM