Mander Organ Builders Forum

Youtube

Justadad

But if you play for a cathedral choir (or even a visiting choir in a cathedral) you may well have to put up with it.

=============================

Ah! Not quite!

I would say, "Don't flap your arms about, I haven't a mirror. You just follow the organ and everything will be fine."

If that doesn't work, I do my impression of John McEnrow......"You cannot be SERIOUS!"

Works every time.......

MM

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But there'll be a television screen. Mind you, you can turn those off!

=======================

I only watch "Business Daily", "QI", "Jeff Randall" and "Family Guy."

If I saw a conductor on TV, I would be so enthralled I would stop playing.

Would it be a dove or a rabbit?

MM

There have been several references to the changes in the Kings boy's voice production between the choir under Ord to that under Willcocks; and also to the Johns choir under Guest. This morning I came across this Thomanerchor

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4FHhEqnQZY

recording (1950 !!) of Cantata BWV41 where the boys, as well as singing in the chorus, sing solos. There was cleary much to do in the UK to catch up with the tone quality of the German boys, and Guest In particular aimed in this direction.

As far as I know, the only piece of choral music known to have been written by Boris Ord is 'Adam lay ybounden'. I've never heard of any descants. I think it's just that they didn't go in for descants in such a big way in those days. David Willcocks is certainly on record as saying that he wrote his earlier ones as a way to add interest to the hymns.

My organ teacher told me that Boris Ord had often said that he had many ideas for compositions and was looking forward to putting these down in his retirement, but unfortunately he died aged only 64. I think this must have been told to my teacher by Harold Darke with whom he had had lessons; Darke was deputy choirmaster at Kings during the war.

....Never put things off...!

=============================

Ah! Not quite!

I would say, "Don't flap your arms about, I haven't a mirror. You just follow the organ and everything will be fine."

If that doesn't work, I do my impression of John McEnrow......"You cannot be SERIOUS!"

Works every time.......

MM

I wonder how often you were invited back to play for that choir again, MM?

I play several times a year for a number of choirs in several different cathedrals and greater churches/chapels. As far as I am concerned, whoever is out in front conducting is in charge. If one does not like their style, the choice is simple.

For the record, I cannot recall the last time I was conducted in a hymn, in such a situation.

I wonder how often you were invited back to play for that choir again, MM?

I play several times a year for a number of choirs in several different cathedrals and greater churches/chapels. As far as I am concerned, whoever is out in front conducting is in charge. If one does not like their style, the choice is simple.

For the record, I cannot recall the last time I was conducted in a hymn, in such a situation.

============================

I was being hypothetical, because I can't recall the last time I either conducted a choir or accompanied one, except for a visiting choir at church, when I played the hymns and the visiting conductor misjudged the acoustics and tried to drive the congregation along too quickly in the opening hymn. The congregation just didn't go along with him.

Interestingly, after the first hymn, he listened to my subsequent play-overs and followed that lead; deciding not to conduct the play-over.

Anyway, I'm not a choral person at all, so it is only rarely that I am ever asked to do anything. I'd much rather listen to choirs than be a part of them, so I don't know too many choral people these days.

Actually, I've just remembered the last thing I accompanied, which was the "Mozart" Requiem (with orchestra), (I forget who finished it), and the Pergolesi "Magnificat."

I behaved myself, watched the conductor, re-hearsed with the choir and the whole thing went rather well; so I can't be as wicked as I make out! :unsure:

MM

• 4 weeks later...

Jos van der Kooy has released a recording of the Mendelssohn Organ Sonatas at the Bavokerk Haarlem, on the 1738 Mueller/ 1968 Marcussen organ:

No.3 in A Major - 1st Movement

No.6 in D minor - variations on "Vater Unser im Himmelreich"

I think this is a CD I'm going to buy. The best recording I've heard of this lovely organ (captures the acoustic beautifully and yet is beautifully clear and faithful), faultess, indeed definitive, interpretation.

http://www.challenge...duct/1225097294

Beautiful! Everything Jos van der Kooy touches always seems so right, and that superb organ makes you wonder why Mendelssohn ever came to England at the time.

Thank you for posting, even if I did almost end up dating a Chinese lady, :unsure:

MM

Beautiful! Everything Jos van der Kooy touches always seems so right, and that superb organ makes you wonder why Mendelssohn ever came to England at the time.

Thank you for posting, even if I did almost end up dating a Chinese lady, :unsure:

MM

I have to agree. It's undeniably gorgeous and reminds me so much of my late friend, Peter Goodman, playing the Mendellsohn on the organ of Holy Trinity, Hull, when it was in a first-class condition.

I have to agree. It's undeniably gorgeous and reminds me so much of my late friend, Peter Goodman, playing the Mendellsohn on the organ of Holy Trinity, Hull, when it was in a first-class condition.

==================================

For some strange reason, this strikes a chord with me, so-to-speak. Somehow, I just feel that Peter and Mendelssohn's music would be right for each other.....never pompous or bombastic, entirely musical, rarely showy, frequently charming and with an undeniably straightforward honesty about it.

That seems to describe Peter rather nicely, at least to those of us who had the privilege of enjoying his company.

MM

My organ teacher told me that Boris Ord had often said that he had many ideas for compositions and was looking forward to putting these down in his retirement, but unfortunately he died aged only 64. I think this must have been told to my teacher by Harold Darke with whom he had had lessons; Darke was deputy choirmaster at Kings during the war.

....Never put things off...!

========================

The final comment is similar to a slogan Prof. Brian Newbould used to have on the music department notice-board at Hull University.

It read, "Never leave anything unfinished," to which some nameless wag B) had replied, "...or some bum academic will do it for you."

Brian Newbould finished Schubert's unfinished, of course.

MM

Next up is an improvisation on Psalm 54. Anyone know the composer?

Sorry if I'm being very silly and missing the point (or the joke?)... but if it's improvisation, surely the 'composer' is the performer.

Anyone know the performer?

• 2 weeks later...

At last, a decent recording of the magnificant Rieger-Kloss organ of St James', Prague, with lots of pretty pictures of various instruments in Europe.

The organist is Irena Chřibková, obviously playing Toccatas and things.

My type of organ.

MM

• 1 month later...

Found this earlier: sounds splendid. It is the choir of St. Pauls Cathedral (London) singing "I Was Glad" on the occasion of the Queen's golden jubilee (1977?).

Enjoy.

Dave

1977 was the Silver one. This was the Golden one in 2002. Would love to see the 1977 one though!!

• 4 weeks later...

Another contribution from me.

Wolfgang Zerer demonstrating the organ at the Jakobikirche in Lüdingworth, Germany (Antonius Wilde 1599 / Arp Schnitger 1683).

Must be a really good organ to play pieces from the likes of Back and Buxteheude on because the sound you hear when playing would be what Bach would have heard on an instrument back in his day.

Dave

• 1 month later...

Although it looks as if the members have lost interest in this thread, here is a good one.

This is Ben van Oosten playing the Allegro from CM Widor's 6th SYmphony on the ACC organ of St. Ouen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtA_6lIhKWY&feature=related

Also, while I accept that Royal Weddings are not to everyone's interest, does anyone have an idea what the first, second and last pieces of music are in this clip? Some great music.

Thanks.

Dave

I broke the swell box linkage yesterday morning, with a swift kick 'cos I'd forgotten to open it before the pedal solo... did this player also have a senior moment, or did he figure that the organ would be in shot at just that moment??

(before you ask, glue and G-clamps this evening!)

Just a passing thought: in the clip of the St. Pauls Choir, at around the 3:56 mark, the Duke seems to not to someone in the crowd and then looks to be saying something. In light of the Duke of Edinburgh's reputation for occasionally putting his foot in it (verbally), it is not too hard to wonder what he is saying... :)

Dave

Justamum and I have just been to visit Justason in San Francisco (where he's the organist at Grace Cathedral) for the first time, and I eventually managed to persuade him to let me video him playing something. The something is Howells' Rhapsody No. 3 in C# minor.

The organ spec is here; http://www.gracecathedral.org/file/OrganBrochure.pdf

Best wishes

Justadad