Mander Organs
Justadad

Youtube

Nice job by David Rhodes: very jazzy piece by the sound of it albeit not one I have ever come across before.

When I was younger my Dad said of organ music that you can "always expect fireworks from the French" and a fine example thereof can be heard in this 2011 clip from Notre Dame, Paris. The music was composed by one of the Cathedral's organists, Yves Castagnet (rather an appropriate name for a musician?) who was appointed to Notre Dame in 1988 at the age of 23.

Setting: "Messe Salve Regina" (Castagnet) // Grand Orgue: Olivier Latry // Orgue de Choeur: Yves Castagnet

Well worth a listen: quite dramatic!

Dave

This can be obtained as a CD or iTunes download. I also heard his ‘Poème sur un Choral Imaginaire’ at ND some years ago - an extended piece using both the west end and east end organs. This is available on Youtube too and deserves to be better known - an amazing sonic experience!

A

Now here's one I'm pretty sure you'll all enjoy. I had the privilege of watching Richard Hills at the 3/66 Kimball organ of Dickinson High School....via live stream! It's still there for folks to watch so, enjoy while it remains. 

This may be of interest to some folks on here. Over the past couple of years I have been working on transferring my collection of Reg Dixon 78rpm's over to YouTube. I have some 500 in the collection, though some of these are duplicates (which have come in very handy!) , and I don't yet have all of his 78rpm output. As well as that, I'm also uploading what other organ 78rpm's I have, and may collect in the future. 

Two renditions of the same piece. I had never heard the piece in question until earlier today when I was trying to find Kalevi Kiviniemi's renditon of a piece by Wagner. The piece in these clips, however, is Michel Corrette's "Carillon".

First up: the rendition by Frédérique Gros on the organ of the Cathedral at Puy; a lovely building described on Wikipedia as exhibiting "architecture of every period from the fifth century to the fifteenth". Organ by Jean Eustasche (1691); moved and / or modified 1754, 1776, 1827, 1848, 1892 & 1937 and then restored to the composition of the 17th & 18th Centuries by Boisseau-Cattiaux 1995-1998 - https://www.aeolus-music.com/ae_fr/Instruments/Orgue/Le-Puy-en-Velay. I wouldn't mind a look at this Cathedral and I hope I will get there one day. It looks to me as if the main case dates from at least 1691 or perhaps slightly older? The picture of the organ in the link can be clicked on to give a much bigger photo.

The second clip is played by Kalevi Kiviniemi on the well-known organ (Holzhay 1792-1797, res. Kuhn 1979) of Neresheim Abbey, Germany. I have heard this instrument on BBC Radio 3's "Choral Evensong" a few times and love the sound it makes. I like the way that this organ has been put in without hindering the light through the windows and that certainly helps the Abbey to look at its best internally.

Both clips best listened to with a decent pair of noise-cancelling headphones. Enjoy!

Dave

Installation of the new master at Trinity Cambridge. Much hat doffing at first but later in the chapel music by Bach, Park, RVW, Gardiner.