Mander Organ Builders Forum

Youtube

Justadad

Aren't we being a bit unkind? After all he makes it clear in his biography that he's not an organist. He's a 'Fusician'.

:blink:

http://www.nobile.com/html/biography.html

J

Absolutely! As his biography states:

There is one difference: Arthur Nobile is not an organist. He plays something called an "organ," but this is where the similarity ends.

So true!

He should go on "The Apprentice" - the BBC producers would love him!

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Cynic
Would I be uncharitable if I suggested that he improvised on this because he's unable to play the real thing?

This is exactly what I thought when I saw/heard it.

Surely the operative word on ANJr’s website is ‘postmodern’? After all, are we not told that in the postmodern world, everyone’s point of view is a valid as everyone else’s, and to apply any external reference points to an individual’s ‘personal truth’ is oppressive and non-inclusive?

Informed opinion about ANJr is that he has talent, but lacks discipline and proper training, (possibly even the most basic training required of someone aspiring to be a professional classical musician – that of having learned conventional notation) and therefore would be better off not giving up his day job.

However, ANJr’s personal truth, imparted to him by gut instinct, doting parent, over-indulgent teacher, animal spirit guide, Jedi master or whoever, is that he is a towering genius. Who are we to presume to disagree?

However, my ‘personal truth’ for what it’s worth is that Webern, Busoni, Stokowski and Jaques Loussier remain rather better role models for those who would presume to re-invent musical masterworks

However, my ‘personal truth’ for what it’s worth is that Webern, Busoni, Stokowski and Jaques Loussier remain rather better role models for those who would presume to re-invent musical masterworks

Agree almost entirely with your post. Just a little stuck with the first of those four names (Webern).

Have you come across the David Rees Williams Trio who do the Loussier thing much better? Stanford in G, Buxtehude Gigue Fugue and Dido's lament among the best. There's a new Stokowski disc coming out sonn on Naxos. A friend of mine was playing in the BSO recording sessions a couple of weeks ago.

Agree almost entirely with your post. Just a little stuck with the first of those four names (Webern).

I was thinking of Webern's orchestration of the 'Das Musicalish Opfer' movement (BWV 1079/5).

Have you come across the David Rees Williams Trio who do the Loussier thing much better? Stanford in G, Buxtehude Gigue Fugue and Dido's lament among the best.

Sounds intriguing, I'll have to keep an eye out. Many thanks.

There's a new Stokowski disc coming out soon on Naxos. A friend of mine was playing in the BSO recording sessions a couple of weeks ago.

Ditto

Ah yes, that Webern, for a minute I thought you might be talking about the drivel I have to teach my A level kids.

Here is the link to the Trio.

Which section was your fiend in the BSO? It might be the same person...

Ah yes, that Webern, for a minute I thought you might be talking about the drivel I have to teach my A level kids.

Here is the link to the Trio.

Many thanks.

Which section was your fiend in the BSO? It might be the same person...

Sorry, I didn't make myself very clear. I meant 'ditto' to my reply to your prevois point - i.e. thanks for the info.

Cheers, Paul

Only if he can read music though. Like Paul I wonder. The principle of re-interpreting an existing piece is not in itself invalid. Maxwell Davies, to name but one, has done this sometimes. The really sad thing about Mr Nobile's offering is that it adds nothing to Vierne's original, being no more than an insipid imitation.

• 2 weeks later...
Have you come across the David Rees Williams Trio who do the Loussier thing much better? Stanford in G, Buxtehude Gigue Fugue and Dido's lament among the best.

The David Rees-Williams Trio is playing at Three Choirs here in Worcester in August if anyone wants to hear them...

A

Cameron Carpenter has been mentioned on this thread a few times (like him or not!) I am told that he was in this country recently although he didn't give any public recitals. He was taken to a few organs mainly in the west country which he played privately. Those who met him said that although his YouTube appearances show him to be a flamboyant player, he is a quiet, self effacing personality, not at all Carlo Curley-like. Apparently it's possible that he will be in the UK for recitals in 2009.

I don't think this one has been posted on this thread - Widor Symphony 6(i) played by Daniel Roth at Saint Suplice. He does not appear to have the usual brace of registrants and is relying entirely on the unique(?) combination system.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKImiR7a4zw...feature=related

My eyes and ears almost fell out when I saw this. OMG!!!

I think it just shows:

i) what a incredible sounding organ St Sulpice is (although my computer sound card and speakers don't do it justice - I doubt even my hifi next door can do it justice - or any HiFi I've experienced!)

ii) That Cavaille-Coll organs are actually real monsters to play, with their ventil pedals (i found them ever so difficult to hitch them down), straight pedal boards, trigger swell pedals and rather awkward console dimensions. They're a long, long call from your H&H Cathedral organ console in every respect!! And terrifying amounts of power under your fingers and feet when the Grande Orgue and Pedal reeds are added too! However, I thought Daniel Roth handled it (man-handled it?) with magisterial aplomb - it is a masterclass on how to manage and play a large Cavaille-Coll! It looks insanely difficult - one really sees how Widor & co were really pushing the boundaries of these organs to the limits. But Daniel Roth doesn't seem to sweat about it.

I wondered whether Msngr Roth used the combination pedal for the single preset during that performance? Can somebody with more knowledge of that organ elucidate?

My eyes and ears almost fell out when I saw this. OMG!!!

I think it just shows:

i) what a incredible sounding organ St Sulpice is (although my computer sound card and speakers don't do it justice - I doubt even my hifi next door can do it justice - or any HiFi I've experienced!)

ii) That Cavaille-Coll organs are actually real monsters to play, with their ventil pedals (i found them ever so difficult to hitch them down), straight pedal boards, trigger swell pedals and rather awkward console dimensions. They're a long, long call from your H&H Cathedral organ console in every respect!! And terrifying amounts of power under your fingers and feet when the Grande Orgue and Pedal reeds are added too! However, I thought Daniel Roth handled it (man-handled it?) with magisterial aplomb - it is a masterclass on how to manage and play a large Cavaille-Coll! It looks insanely difficult - one really sees how Widor & co were really pushing the boundaries of these organs to the limits. But Daniel Roth doesn't seem to sweat about it.

Daniel Roth is superbly hospitable and without much fuss one can arrange a visit to the console after the 'audition' (short recital) following Mass on a Sunday. We were in Paris last year - I emailed and him and got a very nice reply and spent a happy half an hour or so (along with others) up at the console watching him play. Unforgettable!

AJJ

• 3 weeks later...

I just stumbled across

of our good host Mr. Mander visiting the Sydney Town Hall organ with Robert Ampt at the console. It is interesting to be a fly on the wall as they examine individual stops and choruses, search (nearly in vain) for tierces, and pay respects to the 64' Contra Trombone. By my lights it looks like a great way to spend an afternoon!

Edit: Here is the specification for anyone needing a link.

• 2 weeks later...