Mander Organ Builders Forum

Youtube

Justadad

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought it was brilliant - beautifully played on the violin and nice pedal phrasing too!

Not something I ever thought of doing but, being a 'cellist, it might cause a few problems!!!

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, P DeVile said:

If you missed today's Bridgewater hall recital on youtube by Jonathan Scott - here it is: 

P

Yes, I enjoyed that.  I thought the sound was really quite good even on my laptop speakers.  A good choice of music, too, which should please most.

Just wanted to say I really loved the Jonathan Scott recital, and I would have missed it but for this thread, so many thanks to P DeVile, and 'Bravo' to Mr Scott (on the off-chance he's reading this forum)!  The playing is brilliant, the repertoire is brilliant, the video editing is brilliant, the organ sounds epic, and the verbal introductions to the pieces are perfectly pitched.  Great stuff: looking forward to the next one!

1 hour ago, Choir Man said:

Saint Fin Barres Cathedral are posting short Wednesday organ recital videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzD7qMSw3UgIH5R38xI8_9Q/videos

An unique instrument with most of it in a pit to the players left 

Is it still in the pit? I had thought the 2012/13 rebuild had returned the organ to the original architects idea of putting a substantial amount of the organ at the West End, removing that which was in 'the pit' and building a new frame so that the choir organ was close to the choir stalls and would speak better into the cathedral. Or am I wrong? I seem to remember the late, and much lamented, David Drinkell writing about the rebuild somewhere on here!!

No doubt someone will correct me I hope!!

There is an illustrated article "The Cathedral Organ Today" on the Cathedral's website (corkcathedrals.web.com).

I could be wrong but my impression is that the organ is still partly in 'the pit', but the other changes described by S_L have happened.  There is mention of "the full renovation of the pit" but without explanation of the nature of renovation.  The 2011-13 re-build was by Trevor Crowe, and the enlarged organ increased the original 3012 pipes to over 4,500.  It is now said to be the largest pipe organ in Ireland.

The latest (2020) volume of the Pevsner 'Buildings of Ireland' - Cork City and County, specifically mentions the pit and the reason for it.  The architect William Burges thought a large organ could be accommodated in a west gallery, without any real idea of the space required.  (A century later, Sir Basil Spence made the same mistake at Coventry.)  Cork has its RC Cathedral, St Colman's, at Cobh (Cove), and there Pevsner's author describes: "The organ by Telford & Telford has seventy-seven pipes in an oak case".  In fairness, he may well mean the visible pipes, but it isn't said explicitly!

Some images and sound-samples* from this unique studio-organ, designed by and built for, internationally-acclaimed teacher, organ consultant, and recitalist, Roger Fisher. Following his retirement from professional engagements, the instrument is now offered for sale. (Guide-price: £8,000.00, with the purchaser responsible for removal.) Interested parties should contact Philip on prushforth539@gmail.com (* Pieces used in the video, in order: Elegy - Harold Darke (1888 - 1976) Méditation - Maurice Duruflé (1902 - 1986) Monologue in C - Josef Rheinberger (1839 - 1901))

The music is played by Roger.

As Rowland says, mainly In the pit still. A small chorus at the west end. See: https://corkcathedral.webs.com/specification

I played it in the Walker days, 1960s. I haven't played the rebuilt organ. Trevor Crowe is a great builder and voicer. The cathedral is deceptively small, and I can't help wondering if the present incarnation is a bit big.