Mander Organ Builders Forum

Youtube

Justadad

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, Dafydd y Garreg Wen said:

I only have a manuscript copy, but you’re welcome to a scan of it. Vox, however, may have the original.

For those on Facebook, both chants can be retrieved via the link below by licking on the 'posted' links, though you have to be a member of the Anglican Chant Appreciation Society group. The Barnby arrangement is the first chant listed, while the single chant I mentioned is no.29-4. Alternatively, if you PM me an email address I'll see what I can do. Both chants are technically still in copyright, but goodness knows where this now lies. All Campbell's immediate relatives pre-deceased him and even his cousins are all dead now.
https://www.anglicanchant.nl/books/book034.html

On 25/09/2020 at 00:51, Vox Humana said:

[...]the RSCM book of last verse harmonies has Campbell's arrangement of ‘Easter Song/Lasst uns erfreuen’, which I would go so far as to say is the most impressive last verse arrangement I know (which is remarkable, considering that Campbell didn't believe in last verse harmonies: he wrote it at Gerald Knight’s request). The only problems with it are (1) he sets the original A&M Standard rhythm whereas probably everyone nowadays uses the EH one with the extra beats (I did my own adaptation) [...]

The tune arranged by Campbell in the RSCM's Accompaniments for Unison Hymn-Singing is titled there as 'Easter Song'. 'Lasst uns erfreuen' has the EH rhythm with which most of us are accustomed, and is included in the collection, using that name, in an equally fine arrangement (which I invariably use) by Michael Fleming.

On 28/09/2020 at 18:34, Vox Humana said:

Oh, yes indeed! It's thrilling!  I understand that CJR altered the accompaniment in the first quarter and his version has spread to one or two other places, e.g. Salisbury.  I prefer SSC's original. 

If you have the published sheet, you will have seen his single chant for psalm 114, which is also very gripping.  This printed version is incorrect. Campbell claimed that he wrote it out for Novello's from memory and got it wrong. I'm not sure that I quite believe that, but the version he used at Windsor was certainly far superior. The correct version is somewhere in the archives of the Anglican Chant group on Facebook.

So the arrangement of Barnby as published is correct, but the original Campbell chant (though originating with the composer himself) isn’t, tho’ you wouldn’t realise that from looking at/performing it.

Meanwhile the manuscript version of the Barnby arrangement circulating in some places, tho’ emanating from S. George’s, is inauthentic.

Fascinating!

Who’d be a musicologist?

2 hours ago, wolsey said:

The tune arranged by Campbell in the RSCM's Accompaniments for Unison Hymn-Singing is titled there as 'Easter Song'. 'Lasst uns erfreuen' has the EH rhythm with which most of us are accustomed, and is included in the collection, using that name, in an equally fine arrangement (which I invariably use) by Michael Fleming.

Yes. 'Easter Song' is the A&M name for the tune and has the shorter note values as set by Campbell; 'Lasst uns erfreuen' is the EH name and has the longer values as set by Fleming. All perfectly logical in their ways.

2 hours ago, Dafydd y Garreg Wen said:

So the arrangement of Barnby as published is correct, but the original Campbell chant (though originating with the composer himself) isn’t, tho’ you wouldn’t realise that from looking at/performing it.

Meanwhile the manuscript version of the Barnby arrangement circulating in some places, tho’ emanating from S. George’s, is inauthentic.

Fascinating!

Who’d be a musicologist?

Just in case I haven't been clear, it's Campbell's single chant for psalm 114 that is incorrect in the published version. The published version of his descant for the Barnby chant is correct, but there's an altered version in circulation. It's easy to spot Campbell's original as the first quarter has the chant melody as a left-hand solo (which he used to play on the Swell Cornopean) and the first right hand chord is just a simple triad: E, G# B. In the bowdlerised version the first chord is a fistful of notes for both hands with a top G# on top.

• 2 weeks later...

I watched this last night. 

I have a 'soft spot' for the Durufle Requiem, and I can think of a not very 'pc' word to describe the Kyries - orgasmic!! (I hope this word doesn't cause offence!) Trinity college chapel is not large by any stretch of the imagination but, given social distancing etc. I thought this to be an splendid performance, recorded live nearly a fortnight ago on September 30th. I thought both the Metzler and the organist coped very well, there are easier organs in Cambridge to play this music on.

And, on a very personal note, September 30th was the ninth anniversary of the death of my dear wife. This performance fitted the bill entirely.

• 3 weeks later...

There was a live broadcast from the Elbphilharmonie in Hamburg yesterday evening with Wayne Marshall giving a splendid performance on the Klais organ. The concert is still available on Elbphilharmonie’s YouTube channel:

22 hours ago, SlowOrg said:

There was a live broadcast from the Elbphilharmonie in Hamburg yesterday evening with Wayne Marshall giving a splendid performance on the Klais organ. The concert is still available on Elbphilharmonie’s YouTube channel:

Wayne Marshall is certainly a talented performer.  I just wish he wasn't in such a hurry.  I'm out of breath just listening.

7 hours ago, john carter said:

Wayne Marshall is certainly a talented performer.  I just wish he wasn't in such a hurry.  I'm out of breath just listening.

Yes, he is a talented organist but, having heard him at Manchester (Bridgewater Hall) I find him rather too rapid.  I'd much prefer him to slow down a little and give me time to listen to the music!

• 3 weeks later...

I won’t show bias by mentioning my local cathedral which had one of the shortest ‘slots’, but what a splendid demonstration of the variety of our organs and the outstanding musicianship of the players.  

I thought the opening of the fugue on the chamber organ at York Minster was delightful.  The sheer brilliance and clarity of the H&H at Coventry was another special highlight, but the rest also marvellous!  

I find it amazing that they were all in tune with each other. A slight pity about the variable sound quality of the different recordings, but good fun nonetheless.

Apart from Worcester nave console, which could potentially have been playing the Tickell pipework, I spotted two other toasters. St Mary's Edinburgh was not their 4 manual H&H and of course the American organ at the end.

4 hours ago, Choir Man said:

I find it amazing that they were all in tune with each other. A slight pity about the variable sound quality of the different recordings, but good fun nonetheless.

Apart from Worcester nave console, which could potentially have been playing the Tickell pipework, I spotted two other toasters. St Mary's Edinburgh was not their 4 manual H&H and of course the American organ at the end.

I don't think it plays the Tickell pipework. 

1 hour ago, Clarabella said:

I was surprised about the tuning too. Could some of them have been digitally tweaked I wonder?

Yes, ditto. I'm sure the tuning must have been tickled up a bit - Salisbury is notably sharp for a start. I thought the whole thing was brilliant. It was a good organ day yesterday what with this and Anna Lapwood's Radio 3 recital from St David's Hall, Cardiff at lunchtime - brilliant playing of some really interesting and exciting music. 

11 hours ago, James Bradley said:

Correct. Also the Tickell has been out of action since March, and definitely was still out of action when these videos were recorded. I believe it still is.

Does anyone know when they were recorded? I was surprised to see the digital organ at St Mary's Edinburgh as I thought the Harrison rebuild had been completed some months ago.