Mander Organ Builders Forum

Youtube

Justadad

1 hour ago, DHM said:

Vox Humana said:
"Now that's something you can't do with a toaster, or with The-System-That-Must-Not-Be-Named. "

If you mean turning the blower off, hearing the wind sag, and the pipes gradually ceasing  to speak, that is something you definitely *can* do with "The-System-That-Must-Not-Be-Named".

Thank you. I stand corrected. Can it also cope with the depleted wind required for Harmonies?

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, Vox Humana said:

Thank you. I stand corrected. Can it also cope with the depleted wind required for Harmonies?

I guess it almost certainly would - at least on some sample-sets, if not all.
I shall experiment later....

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Having just watched this and also having wanted to applaud out loud, I thought we could all do with the experience. 😍 Two comments immediately arise from the general excitement for me - 1. What a good job they did of the recording, and 2. I hope this filmed footage means we're getting a complete Blu-ray release of the Duruflé album as well! I confess I'm waiting until Christmas to hear it...

Greetings all. I hope this post finds you and yours well in these continued troubled times.

I recently found this clip, from 2016, of an Ordination of Priests service at the Basilica of the Immaculate Conception, Washington (USA) and the opening music is an improvisation on the responsory Psalm which follows. The verses of the responsory  Psalm, however, do not seem to be all from the same Psalm: I worked out, from a web search, that one of the verses- but not the rest - is Psalm 147 v15.

Here is the clip:

Does anyone know the name of the piece and the composer of it? If not I will ask someone within the cathedral directly but I wondered if anyone here might know. The piece, by the way, is worth a listen the whole way through.

Cheers,
Dave 

As you say, this clip is from the Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception, Washington DC - the Washington RC Cathedral is separate.  I don’t know the answer to your question, but much of the music at the Basilica, including the responsorial psalms, is composed by the Director of Music, Dr Peter Latona, and he is the man you need to contact.  I found him very helpful with a similar enquiry.

email: pjl@bnsic.org

It's quite an old clip - from 2016. Cardinal Wuerl is no longer the Archbishop of Washington. 

I don't know what the piece is - but I've heard it before - which, possibly, means that it wasn't composed by Peter Latona.

Looking further. It seems to be called Lauda Jerusalem - and I've found several version of it on Youtube - from Washington USA, Chartres France etc. I've even found a simplified version of the Refrain - but no composer name!!

I suspect that it was arranged for the occasion. Was Peter Latona the DoM at the National Basilica in 2016? - I have a feeling he went there in 2017!

1 hour ago, S_L said:

I don't know what the piece is - but I've heard it before - which, possibly, means that it wasn't composed by Peter Latona.

And it's starting to annoy me!! It isn't from Taize is it? - by Jaques Berthier

1 hour ago, SlowOrg said:

The refrain "Lauda, Jerusalem" was composed by the Luxemburgish composer Théodore Decker (1851–1930) who also included a unison melody for the psalm verses (in this video a different version is sung, however). It is quite well known and often used as entrance hymn.

I found that minutes after you had posted!! Yes, it exists in so many different versions. I even found a version of Jean Guillou playing it on a harmonium.

2 hours ago, S_L said:

Was Peter Latona the DoM at the National Basilica in 2016? - I have a feeling he went there in 2017!

He was definitely there in 2008!  I don’t know a date of appointment.  On this occasion he might have been playing and his deputy conducting the choir (for this service moved up into the gallery).

No doubt Dave Harries will share the result with us if he enquires of Dr Latona, as suggested.

I realised, in the middle of the night where I had heard it before!!

In times past , in May and October, we used to make our way, one Sunday night, down to St. Saviour's church in Saltley. St. Saviour's was in, what was known as 'The Biretta belt', a number of 'High', to say the least, Anglican churches in the inner-ring of Birmingham. The church was in the centre of the Muslim area of the city, the church school was 100% Muslim and the ceremony was presided over by the Parish Priest, Fr. Trevor Jones.  "Welcome to our simple, little ceremony!!" The place was packed!  And there followed Rosary, Sermon, Procession and Benediction. The Procession would come out of the church, Fr. Trevor preceded by a dozen West Indian altar servers, through the graveyard into the streets of Saltley where our Muslim brothers and sisters would stand at their doorways in a sort of silent respect (or complete bewilderment!!!) as the Blessed Sacrament went by. Back in church the sacrament was exposed and, after Benediction, we sang "Blessed and Praise be Jesus Christ in the Most Holy Sacrament. Hosanna, Hosanna, Hosanna in the highest!" To the tune that Dave Harries mentions in his posting. The whole ceremony was very 'high', more 'smells and bells' and doffing of birettas than you could shake a stick at, and wonderfully done in a homely kind of way.

I knew I'd heard it before. This was 30 years ago - so my surmise that it might be Berthier, I thought it might be Lucien Deiss at one point too, is as ridiculous as my mixing up Jean Guillou and Jean Guillou!!! 

Thank you to all for the information about this refrain. 
Adapted to the words “Blessed and praised …” as S_L describes it’s pretty much de rigeur nowadays when Anglicans perform Benediction, but I’ve only ever seen it in manuscript copies with home-grown harmonies, lurking on organ consoles, and never attributed to a composer. Occasionally I’ve wondered where it came from. Now I know!

1 hour ago, Dafydd y Garreg Wen said:

Adapted to the words “Blessed and praised …” as S_L describes it’s pretty much de rigeur nowadays when Anglicans perform Benediction ...........

Sadly the ceremony I described is, seemingly, in the past! Although I live in France I'm still reasonably in touch with what goes on in the C of E! and I know that the 'Biretta Belt' in Birmingham just about exists but, perhaps, it is only one church now whereas 20/30 years ago there were eight that I can think of! I know of very few churches were you would see May and October devotions in the manner I described. It's a shame because it was nicely done, homely and welcoming. Converts to Rome miss Choral Evensong - but they can get it with the Ordinariate now. I miss St. Saviour's, Saltley on an October and May evening!

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/11/2021 at 09:27, S_L said:

As Sloworg has said the refrain is, indeed by Decker. The Psalm tone sung on this occasion is by Peter Latona

On 28/10/2021 at 21:32, Rowland Wateridge said:

He was definitely there in 2008!  I don’t know a date of appointment.  On this occasion he might have been playing and his deputy conducting the choir (for this service moved up into the gallery).

No doubt Dave Harries will share the result with us if he enquires of Dr Latona, as suggested.

I had an email back from Peter Latona, the Basilica's Director of Music. He kindly sent the SATB score for the version of "Lauda Jerusalem" used at the Basilica: above the score it says:

Antiphon: Theodore Decker (1831-1930)
Harm. Pablo Colino?
Arr. Peter Latona (b. 1968)

Mr. Latona also attached the score for the psalm verse as well. In his email, from which I quote, Mr. Latona said: "The antiphon we believe is harmonized by Colino...a tattered copy was in our files since before my time. The tune, of course has been around a long time and is by Decker.  [...] By the way, I was able to follow some of the threads in the post you sent. For the record, I've been at the Basilica since 1997 and music director since 2001, having just celebrated 20 years as director this past August 1. Though I must say, it doesn't feel like a long time at all even thought 24 years is definitely a long time!!"

Cheers,
Dave

17 hours ago, DaveHarries said:

Antiphon: Theodore Decker (1831-1930)
Harm. Pablo Colino?
Arr. Peter Latona (b. 1968)

Mr. Latona also attached the score for the psalm verse as well. In his email, from which I quote, Mr. Latona said: "The antiphon we believe is harmonized by Colino...a tattered copy was in our files since before my time......"

Cheers,
Dave

I've attached a copy of Colino's original - if this is what is currently being referred to? He passed it to me in either 1990 or 1994. At the time Pablo Colino was Director of Music at St. Peter's Basilica in Rome, during the period when the Choir was not officially referred to as the The Cappella Giulia!

Tony

Colino_Christus_Vincit.jpg

8 hours ago, Tony Price said:

I've attached a copy of Colino's original - if this is what is currently being referred to? He passed it to me in either 1990 or 1994. At the time Pablo Colino was Director of Music at St. Peter's Basilica in Rome, during the period when the Choir was not officially referred to as the The Cappella Giulia!

Thank you for sharing that Tony.

The Christus Vincit is familiar to me as well because I am a shortwave radio listener. Sometimes I tune in to Vatican Radio for something a bit different to listen to and the Christus Vincit, albeit a slightly different version, is the interval signal (a tune used for a few minutes or so before a broadcast) of Vatican Radio. I also have it for a ringtone on my phone.

Dave

Christus Vincit is new to me, but in the process of seeking out some music to play for the feast of Christ the King next Sunday, I found I had a copy of Denis Bédard's very effective good variations on the theme - like much of his music it's interesting and not too tricky... just the odd 'corner' to negotiate. However, I don't have much practice time this week so I may have to stick with some Walton*. The old OUP/CH Trevor purple volume called Organ Music for Services of Thanksgiving - (mine is dated 1973 and was purchased during Douglas Hopkins' splendid 'Holiday Course for Organists' at the RAM that year) - has some useful shorter pieces for this occasion in the form of chorale preludes on Lobe den Herren. That by Micheelsen comes to mind especially - (a piece I enjoyed as a teenager, but will I enjoy it so much in my mid-60's?! And more importantly, will the congregation?)** I'm also going to dig out David Willcocks' Gopsal Fanfare... and for Communion I will probably use Christopher Dearnley's beautiful little prelude on Dominus Regit Me, and hope to sneak in one of the gentle variations from the Bédard.

Does anyone have any other suggestions for Christ the King? Are there some Bach/Buxtehude etc chorale preludes that might be suitable? 

* Crown Imperial, Richard III or Henry V music from the excellent Robert Gower/OUP blue album. 

** The other unmissable Lobe den Herren piece that I have ready to go is that by Niels Gade.

[The more I think about this feast - (which along with Baptism of Christ is one of the new ones in the CoE) - the more I realise it is an opportunity for some exciting organ music and some great hymnody. I'm looking forward to it!]

23 minutes ago, Martin Cooke said:

chorale preludes on Lobe den Herren. That by Micheelsen comes to mind especially - (a piece I enjoyed as a teenager, but will I enjoy it so much in my mid-60's?! And more importantly, will the congregation?)

In a similar way I revisited this piece a few years ago after many years (it caught my eye in that volume when I was a teenager too). Not sure what the congregation made of it, but I enjoyed it.

On the strength of that I looked into the composer. He produced several volumes of chorale preludes, but I couldn’t track down a copy of any of them. If the pieces are as good as L. den H. (a bit different but not too different to frighten the horses) they would be worth acquiring. Has anyone here played any other Micheelsen?

11 hours ago, Dafydd y Garreg Wen said:

In a similar way I revisited this piece a few years ago after many years (it caught my eye in that volume when I was a teenager too). Not sure what the congregation made of it, but I enjoyed it.

On the strength of that I looked into the composer. He produced several volumes of chorale preludes, but I couldn’t track down a copy of any of them. If the pieces are as good as L. den H. (a bit different but not too different to frighten the horses) they would be worth acquiring. Has anyone here played any other Micheelsen?

Ha! Dafydd - (and... in passing... I very much enjoyed playing 'your piece' arranged by George Towers as part of my pre-service music on Sunday) - well, I spotted a volume of Micheelsen CPs on eBay and paid quite a price for them! I must re-examine them but, having played through them twice, I can't help feeling none were really as useful or listenable as L den H. But... I keep an open mind and would welcome direction to more of his organ music.

1 hour ago, Martin Cooke said:

Ha! Dafydd - (and... in passing... I very much enjoyed playing 'your piece' arranged by George Towers as part of my pre-service music on Sunday) -

That really is a super arrangement. Incredibly atmospheric. I don’t know whether George Towers was familiar with the area, but for me it beautifully evokes the mist rising off the sea and drifting across the marshes at Ynyscynhaearn. Shivers down the spine stuff.

1 hour ago, Martin Cooke said:

well, I spotted a volume of Micheelsen CPs on eBay and paid quite a price for them! I must re-examine them but, having played through them twice, I can't help feeling none were really as useful or listenable as L den H. But... I keep an open mind and would welcome direction to more of his organ music.

I think I did find a few volumes on sale but balked at the cost. A shame you didn’t find any gems. Still, better to be a one hit wonder than a none hit wonder ….

• 4 weeks later...