Mander Organ Builders Forum

Youtube

Justadad

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a recently added video of Sydney City Organist Robert Ampt demonstrating the Sydney Town Hall to our good host.

Demonstrates:

Solo Tubas

Full Swell

Full Great

Full Organ

Mutations (Great Twelfth and Echo Glockenspiel)

Great, Swell and Pedal Mixtures

64' Contra Trombone

32' Contra Posaune

Love the cathedral roll in the empty hall!

Here's a recently added video of Sydney City Organist Robert Ampt demonstrating the Sydney Town Hall to our good host.

Demonstrates:

Solo Tubas

Full Swell

Full Great

Full Organ

Mutations (Great Twelfth and Echo Glockenspiel)

Great, Swell and Pedal Mixtures

64' Contra Trombone

32' Contra Posaune

Love the cathedral roll in the empty hall!

With our host I think?

AJJ

Like many, I guess, I've rather lost the plot when it comes to deciding what has, and has not, been posted here. Nevertheless I hope the selection (distraction?!) below will stir one or two thoughts and a few emotions ;-)

..... from Christchurch Town Hall, with some nice views of the inside of the case (Lefébure-Wély warning!).

..... St. Bonifatius Church in Karlsruhe, Baden-Württemberg - a splendid trumpet + organ performance of the Allegro from the Albinoni Concert San Marco

..... a movement from Andrew Bishop's arrangement of Randy Newman's music for 'The Original' for Brass, Organ and Percussion

..... a splendid performance by Frederick Hohman of Lemare's arrangement of Wagner's Ride of the Valkyries

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygsxjs3OeZI

..... Cameron Carpenter playing one of his own compositions (health warning for those who may never have seen every note (apparently) on a single manual played at once with one hand!)

and finally, a master at work at

Tony

Like many, I guess, I've rather lost the plot when it comes to deciding what has, and has not, been posted here. Nevertheless I hope the selection (distraction?!) below will stir one or two thoughts and a few emotions ;-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygsxjs3OeZI

..... Cameron Carpenter playing one of his own compositions (health warning for those who may never have seen every note (apparently) on a single manual played at once with one hand!)

There's nothing new under the sun. About (because he was vague about his chronology) a century ago Charles Ives specfied the use of a piece of wood about 14 3/4 inches long in his Second Piano Sonata (Concord).

If you enjoy other "non-traditional" uses of the organ, look out for Pneo by Daan Manneke, for example on DVD played by Jos van de Koy on the Muller Organ at Haarlem.

http://www.crotchet.co.uk/artists/Jos%20van%20der%20Kooy

Did anyone find the composer of the improvisation on "Eens als de Bazuinen Klinken" played by Hautbois8 on Youtube? It appears that it tanslates "Th Trumpet Call" and is number GVL 434 and LVK 300 in Dutch hymn/psalm books. Most of the postings in the Youtube site are in Dutch; Dave Harries had asked this question on the site but the language barrier prevents me from working out whether he actually got an answer. Perhaps it was a genuine extemporisation although I think there was music on the desk.

It's not great music but it might make a suitable concluding voluntary - or even an encore piece - occasionally.

Malcolm Kemp

Well apparently there is at least one more which thankfully focuses almost entirely on Dupre at the console instead of wandering around the interior of St Sulpice.

I received this email yesterday:

"The association of Les Amis de l'Art de Marcel Dupré has just released a fascinating 2-hour DVD of French television film footage of the great man. The films - made at Saint-Sulpice and at his home in Meudon - were recorded in 1955, 1965, 1967 and 1969.

In addition to chatting with another legend, Bernard Gavoty (one of his great allies), he can be seen playing music of Bach (including BWV565), Handel and himself (including the first movement of the Symphonie-Passion); there are several extended improvisations, including those on themes by Rolande Falcinelli and André Fleury. Despite his age - and that sadly Dupré was an old man by this time, his hands (and therefore his technique somewhat) ravaged by the arthritis that so distorted his fingers in his older years - he gets really "stuck in" to some of these!

The conversations between him and Gavoty as fascinating too, and the charm and humour of Dupré (so often spoken of by many as a kind of ogre) a joy to see. He reminisces about his beginnings as an organist, and even mimicks the irascible Saint-Saens! You can also see the ever-watchful and devoted Mme Dupré sitting listening to her husband in the music room of their home.

Until the end of October the cost is 30 € (excluding postage); after that, it will be 35 €."

I presume this is where the Youtube clips have originated... I was also sent an order form and payment details, complicated as they can't process card payments, which I can forward to anyone interested who sends a PM with their email address.

P.

Here is one of Léonce de St Martin at Notre Dame.

Interesting to note the appearence of the old photographs at 1 minute (which shows the organ seemingly with shutters on it?) and the other at 1m 15 secs. In respect of the second photo that picture must be from before 1868. The Positif was put there in 1730 by François Thierry but Aristide C-C didn't keep it when he rebuilt the instrument.

I tend to find that a lot of cathedral organs look nice with the Positif and quite a few of the ones I have seen still have them.

Dave

Just a follow-up the the Falcinelli Fiasco

A while ago I received music WAV files and information about someone claiming to have made the Falcinelli recording. Unfortunately, I did not investigate closely enough before agreeing to try to promote the recording and made the YouTube video myself.

It appears as if I have also been the victim of a rather elaborate practical joke or hoax - I received several private messages on YouTube, all encouraging me to check deeper into this "recording" I was editing, and advising me that it would be wise to remove the video. I immediately removed the video from YouTube, deleted the audio files and have advised the person who sent them that I no longer wish to be associated with their project, and that if they are wise they should stop doing things like this.

I am embarrassed by having been pulled into this situation, and in the future will be checking facts much more closely before accepting any further projects from people I do not know.

Best regards,

Well apparently there is at least one more which thankfully focuses almost entirely on Dupre at the console instead of wandering around the interior of St Sulpice.

I find it amazing that anyone can improvise a double fugue, let alone with what , to others, would be crippling arthritis in the fingers.

JS