Mander Organ Builders Forum

A New Digital Revolution?

MusingMuso

I agree that much printed music is now public domain although with regard to Verdi, copyright would subsist until the relevant period after the death of the last surviving collaborator, in his case quite possibly the librettist. I find the notice on Kevin Mayhew publications "photocopying music is illegal" annoying and not true.

Hi

There IS a seperate copyright in the printed page (regardless of if the music on the page is public domain or not) - IIRC it lasts for 25 years from date of publication. Hence, photocopying recent music books is illegal - Mayhew's are correct in putting the notice on the page (even though it shouldn't really be necessary).

Every Blessing

Tony

There IS a seperate copyright in the printed page (regardless of if the music on the page is public domain or not) - IIRC it lasts for 25 years from date of publication.

Hmm - the music I talked of was laid out in 1898; but perhaps adding the photocopying notice makes it a new page - if so, what a scam!

Paul

I wonder if they could deliver in time for this evening?! I've just been cellotaping all the afore-mentioned loose pages together, and realize I'm going to need blu-tak to attach the some of the items I'm accompanying her to the piano, because the page turns are well nigh impossible. The only thing I shall need now is telescopic spectacles to see the pages out on the extreme ends of the piano!

I know cellotape isn't ideal, but it's all I've got at the moment. So, there's me using photocopies, cellotape and blu-tak when - at the other end of the spectrum - there are those musicians lucky enough to use fancy computer screens! Oh, how the other half live - 'taint fair!!!

=============================

"Cellotape".......I love it!

:unsure:

MM

Hi

There IS a seperate copyright in the printed page (regardless of if the music on the page is public domain or not) - IIRC it lasts for 25 years from date of publication. Hence, photocopying recent music books is illegal - Mayhew's are correct in putting the notice on the page (even though it shouldn't really be necessary).

Every Blessing

Tony

No, they would be correct if they put "photocopying this music is illegal". "Photocopying music is illegal" is misleading.

At the risk that this thread treads similar ground to "r^-engineering the organ", may I suggest that as Bill Gates is wooing us with embedded chips in everything, it's high time we had digital displays embedded in the nusic desk. Probably a continuuously scrolling stave would be hard to keep up with and confusing to the eye, but perhaps the organ of the future might have a "Page+" thumb piston akin to the "combination +" sequencer piston.

There was a fad a few years back of fitting floppy disc drives to some organs, either to record a performance or to record preset stop combinations. I wonder if anyone ever acually used the floppy discs (I always wondered what would happen if you plugged the floppy into the drive of another organ, would it work? What stops would it select?)

Now, since floppies went out with the ark and everything is on USB memory stick, perhaps the recitalist of the future will carry their entire program, plus stop combinations, on a USB drive, then plug it in to the console and on the music stand appears all their music as pdfs or similar (with editable pdfs I believe you can add electronic "stickies"), and piston settings, preloaded. Obiously thanks to the National Pipe Organ Register they would have been able to set up a program of registrations on their laptop whilst travelling to the concert venue.

Fast forward once more. As the majority of organ specifications are now on the NPOR, it surely won't be long before some IT geek comes up with a piece of software that, in the same way that I can get software that translates all my Nokia-format mobile phone numbers if I change brands and get an LG mobile, takes all your sequencer stop combinations for your recent recital at the Royal Albert Hall and translates them into appropriate combinations for you to play the same pieces on another organ of totally different size and spec without you having to go to all the trouble and time of setting up combinations from scratch...

There was a fad a few years back of fitting floppy disc drives to some organs, either to record a performance or to record preset stop combinations. I wonder if anyone ever acually used the floppy discs

I had one fitted to my toaster when I bought it. I have to say I have used it extensively and have found it absolutely invaluable - by which I mean quite disarmingly instructive! If you really want to know how well or badly you are playing there is nothing so revealing as listening to a recording of yourself. It has taught me a lot.

Fast forward once more. As the majority of organ specifications are now on the NPOR, it surely won't be long before some IT geek comes up with a piece of software that, in the same way that I can get software that translates all my Nokia-format mobile phone numbers if I change brands and get an LG mobile, takes all your sequencer stop combinations for your recent recital at the Royal Albert Hall and translates them into appropriate combinations for you to play the same pieces on another organ of totally different size and spec without you having to go to all the trouble and time of setting up combinations from scratch...

OrganAssist does something similar(ish) to what Contrabombarde is describing. See the "Translate pieces for other organs" link on their website.

OrganAssist does something similar(ish) to what Contrabombarde is describing. See the "Translate pieces for other organs" link on their website.

==========================

OMG......

Well, if it can do THAT, we could just play each piece once and send the discs to the venues; thus enabling REST and PEACE and HARMONY in our lives.

The age of the Buddhist organist has arrived!

:P

/ \

MM

I had one fitted to my toaster when I bought it. I have to say I have used it extensively and have found it absolutely invaluable - by which I mean quite disarmingly instructive! If you really want to know how well or badly you are playing there is nothing so revealing as listening to a recording of yourself. It has taught me a lot.

Yes, definitely. And very useful for teaching purposes too.