Mander Organ Builders Forum

Deadly Combinations

Peter Clark

OK, the silly season seems to have started early this year thanks to Dave's entertaining thread so I thought I'd pitch in with one of my own.

Things which are seemingly innocent on their own, or even beneficial, can sometimes produce hazardous results when combined. For example, water and electricity are vital, yet put them together and tragedy might ensue. If this is the case in the real world, then it must be just as true in the world of organ and church music. I therefore invite members to contribute to "Deadly Combinations" and kick off thus:

Deadly Combination # 1: A nun and a guitar.

Over to you.

Peter

Guest Barry Williams
Spot on there Pierre.

How about a clergyman and a pulpit?

Clergy and liturgy

Clergy and music (especially hymns)

Clergy and organs

Clergy and choirs

Barry Williams

Guest Patrick Coleman
Perhaps its obvious to us all, but what about a Clergyman and an Organist! :huh:

Writing as a personified deadly combination, perhaps I may suggest 'organists and generalisations'?

Guest Barry Williams
Perhaps its obvious to us all, but what about a Clergyman and an Organist! :huh:

This is best avoided at all costs. The two should never meet.

There are a (very) few clergy that play the organ well. These are anomalies, to be respected and occasionally avoided, like numerate lawyers - as rare as hens' teeth.

Barry Williams

PS Perhaps Oliver Cromwell (my greatest hero - next to Mickey Mouse) had the right idea. He stopped all music in church and put the organ into pubs so that they might properly be enjoyed by discerning clients.

Guest Patrick Coleman
This is best avoided at all costs. The two should never meet.

There are a (very) few clergy that play the organ well. These are anomalies, to be respected and occasionally avoided, like numerate lawyers - as rare as hens' teeth.

Barry Williams

PS Perhaps Oliver Cromwell (my greatest hero - next to Mickey Mouse) had the right idea. He stopped all music in church and put the organ into pubs so that they might properly be enjoyed by discerning clients.

:huh:

"Oliver Cromwell (my greatest hero - next to Mickey Mouse)"

(Quote)

The first was nearly as efficient as both the 19th and the 20th

century at destroying ancient organs; at least, the second

has his own one now, so he comes first.

We have numerous (rather belgian in taste) jokes about Robespierre,

the short -neck-cut(ted) guy who finished shortened after having

esteemed the average frenchman to be about one foot too tall.

Pierre