Mander Organ Builders Forum

What Does Dust Do To Organs?

Iain

Hi all,

I'm just asking if anyone knows what wood dust would do to a organ.

The reason I'm asking is we have just had the organ cleaned & restored by Stephen Cooke. But now We have another problem with builders coming in and sanding the floor.

I went in to church for meeting to see what was going on. the first thing i saw was the organ show pipes were not covered up. They had only covered up the top of the organ.

I'm worried seeing dust on the pipes thinking maybe the hole lot would have to be cleaned again? I just hope not.

Iain

Hi all,

I'm just asking if anyone knows what wood dust would do to a organ.

The reason I'm asking is we have just had the organ cleaned & restored by Stephen Cooke. But now We have another problem with builders coming in and sanding the floor.

I went in to church for meeting to see what was going on. the first thing i saw was the organ show pipes were not covered up. They had only covered up the top of the organ.

I'm worried seeing dust on the pipes thinking maybe the hole lot would have to be cleaned again? I just hope not.

Iain

Worst case is that the dust has got down into the reeds and clogged the tongues putting them off speech. Dust on the key contacts can cause intermittant notes. Grit on the slides can get under upperboards causing runnings. Unfortunately this sort of thing happens regularly due to general ignorance of builders and church authorities. Dust hangs around in the air for a very long time. Leave it at least 10 days or a fortnight between the work finishing and taking the sheeting down.

Guest Barry Williams

If the church is C of E and within the faculty jurisdiction, the faculty for sanding the floor should have specified that the organ be fully covered up by a qualified organ builder. It is worth getting someone in authority (church wardens or similar) to look at the permission and the contract to see exactly what was specified. It may be that the cost of cleaning the instrument has to be borne by the sanding contractor.

Barry Williams