Mander Organ Builders Forum

Anyone Recommend A Decent Music Case

martin_greenwood

I've just got through my second music case in the last 12 months. I've tried two different types of nylon-type briefcases for lugging music and organs shoes around in, but both have collapsed under the strain.

Can anyone here recommend something suitable to fit both music and shoes, preferably with a sholder strap, and which won't cost the earth?

I've just got through my second music case in the last 12 months. I've tried two different types of nylon-type briefcases for lugging music and organs shoes around in, but both have collapsed under the strain.

Can anyone here recommend something suitable to fit both music and shoes, preferably with a sholder strap, and which won't cost the earth?

I recommend plastic carrier bags from any good supermarket - seriously.

The advantages are:

The are free (or at least, when one has paid for a bag, it comes ready-filled with food and other goods.)

When they break, I simply get another from my under-stairs cupboard.

One can choose from a variety of colours and designs.

I recommend plastic carrier bags from any good supermarket - seriously.

The advantages are:

The are free (or at least, when one has paid for a bag, it comes ready-filled with food and other goods.)

When they break, I simply get another from my under-stairs cupboard.

One can choose from a variety of colours and designs.

Absolutely!

Referred to by John Pryer as "Disposable briefcases".

DW

Surely plastic bags can't be very good when it's raining though?! :blink:

All those which I have used were watertight, when folded carefully at the top. The only possible disadvantage is that in hot weather the ink from the printed design can transfer to a sweaty palm.

Oh, there is one further disadvantage - but this only applies if one shops at Asda.

Go on, what is it?

OK, to put you out of your misery: the problem is two-fold.

The first part lies in the apparent inability of anyone using this establishment to walk more than a few feet without having to pat their posterior in a reassuringly smug manner.

The second part?

Hmmm.... that will have to wait for an answer by PM tomorrow - sorry.

I prefer sturdy protection personally. For years I used leather briefcases of the "doctor's bag" design - you now, the sort that opens at the top - but they simply don't seem to make them any more. Lord knows why not - they were a really classic and convenient design. The only remotely similar examples I could find were all in soft leather, which I didn't want. So I ended up with a pilot case. It's a bit too cumbersome really, but it can easily take shoes in the central compartment, while leaving plenty of room for music in the side compartments.

Here's the solution: http://www.bagsdirect.com/Product/9003_Sho...r_Tote_Bag.aspx

I've had exactly the same dilemma - music cases just don't work for organ shoes. I've tried with a separate shoe bag but it becomes cumbersome with so many bags.

I found the perfect solution in the baggage department of John Lewis: something called a shoulder bag. It's big enough for a few volumes of the Bach Baerenreiter, your shoes and various other bits and bobs (like wallets, etc). It has a shoulder strap. It looks smart. It's affordable. I think it's perfect for a travelling organist.

Guest Hector5

I visited my local Samsonite store at the McArthur Glenn outlet centre (check on the www.) and picked up quite a few bags for under £20. Really strong and sensible. They do a laptop rucksack which is big enough for Bach Barenreiter or Dupre editions. There's enough compartments for shoes, pens, hip flask etc, and they are built really well. I've got over the stigma of being asked where I'm off hiking. After all the objective is to protect the music etc. They do have other bags - but the ruck sack is really the best of the bunch.

Hector