Mander Organ Builders Forum

La Nativité Du Seigneur

Justadad

I’m sure there will be others (so please add them) but Messiaen’s centenary offers at least three opportunities to experience complete performances of his Nativité:-

Saturday 2nd February, 18:30 - King’s College, Cambridge – Stephen Cleobury (Free)

Friday 22nd February, 19:30 – Westminster Abbey – Olivier Latry (£15)

Sunday 7th December, 18:00 – St Paul’s Cathedral – Huw Williams (Free)

Which takes your fancy (and, if you feel so inclined, why)?

Best wishes

J

I’m sure there will be others (so please add them) but Messiaen’s centenary offers at least three opportunities to experience complete performances of his Nativité:-

Saturday 2nd February, 18:30 - King’s College, Cambridge – Stephen Cleobury (Free)

Friday 22nd February, 19:30 – Westminster Abbey – Olivier Latry (£15)

Sunday 7th December, 18:00 – St Paul’s Cathedral – Huw Williams (Free)

Which takes your fancy (and, if you feel so inclined, why)?

Best wishes

J

I quite fancy this series: the Durham organ does Messiaen extremely well, far better than you would expect a Harrison to do so and even better, much of this is free entry, being done liturgically.

http://www.durhamcathedral.co.uk/introduction/news/47

Charles

If i was going to go to one, i would go to Latrys' recital, purely on the basis of his fantastic recordings of Messiaen. Kings is of course doing the complete works of Messiaen over a 2month or so period, with various present and past organ scholars doing 'a work a week' if i remember correctly

If i was going to go to one, i would go to Latrys' recital, purely on the basis of his fantastic recordings of Messiaen. Kings is of course doing the complete works of Messiaen over a 2month or so period, with various present and past organ scholars doing 'a work a week' if i remember correctly

I think it's being spread rather more thinly than that at King's - probably over all three terms. See King's College Music List.

I shall probably be going to hear a fair bit of the Messiaen at King's, even though it's a 300 mile round trip - if for no other reason than to exercise the privilege of sitting in the sub-stalls at evensong.

Starting from the 23rd, and every night up until the 30th August, the complete organ works of Messiaen will be performed at York Minster. La Nativité du Seigneur will be performed by some chap called Richard McVeigh, on the 24th, I believe!

Who?!!!

Seriously, I am sure it will be brill! (although Messiaen isn't really my cup of tea).

John

Starting from the 23rd, and every night up until the 30th August, the complete organ works of Messiaen will be performed at York Minster. La Nativité du Seigneur will be performed by some chap called Richard McVeigh, on the 24th, I believe!

Wow! What a brilliant project!! I take it this is Philip Moore's parting shot before he retires.

Can I get to York and back eight evenings in a row? It's worth a try.

• 3 weeks later...
Wow! What a brilliant project!! I take it this is Philip Moore's parting shot before he retires.

Can I get to York and back eight evenings in a row? It's worth a try.

Its a fantastic project, I can't wait to hear all his organ music - there is so much I don't know. It is actually all of John S Whiteley's hard doing, a great idea, and I hope the start of many more simular ventures!