Mander Organ Builders Forum

Music For Passion Sunday

JJK

I have been asked to play an organ piece during the service on Passion Sunday, as a meditation. Less than 5 minutes duration. My - perhaps obvious - first thought is the JSB O Mensch Bewein, but does anyone have any other suggestions......?

JJK

I have been asked to play an organ piece during the service on Passion Sunday, as a meditation. Less than 5 minutes duration. My - perhaps obvious - first thought is the JSB O Mensch Bewein, but does anyone have any other suggestions......?

JJK

Schirmer publish a very good organ-only version of Samuel Barber's Adagio for Strings.

Slightly more off the beaten track: Chorale Prelude on 'O wie selig' by Franz Schmidt - heresy to say it, but this outdoes Bach at his most chromatic and poignant.

My all-time favourite poignant, high-intensity Bach item is the five-part 'Vater unser' from The Clavierubung.

I think you've already thought of the most obvious piece yourself. It is achingly beautiful when played right.

A few others?

BWV 727 - an elaborated version of the passion chorale

BWV 653 - Am Wasserflussen Babylon - it might be a smidge long though

Or if you fancy something more 'up market' what about a movement from Le Cheme da Croix by Dupre (A Mediation on each of the stations of the cross)

Guest Nigel ALLCOAT

JJK

The Pachelbel version brings tears to eyes - as does his version of O lamm Gottes. Never by-pass this man!

Bohm's Vater unser with Walter's ornamentation, likewise gives a heart-stopping few minutes of consummate beauty.

My all-time favourite poignant, high-intensity Bach item is the five-part 'Vater unser' from The Clavierubung.

I'm with you there. It could even be my favourite Bach organ work full stop. Although I do play it, I haven't in public - I'm just not sure I can do it justice.

JJK

The Adagio [variation] from Cochereau's improvised variations on O filii et filiae*. I know that this is an Easter hymn, but if you have heard this variation, I doubt that you would question its suitability. The same goes for the Barber. If the story about the piece is true, it is extremely unsuitable; however, musically, it is quite appropriate.

*If you cannot locate a copy in time and wish to play it, you are welcome to contact me by PM.