Mander Organ Builders Forum

Morning Worship

Peter Clark

I found the music today a little disappointing, I am afraid. I certainly don't think that the version of Come Down O Love Divine was an improvement on Down Ampney. The descant and reharmonised last verse of We Have a Gospel didn't do much for me either and I found the choice of voluntary - movement 1 of the Italian Concerto - a little odd, unless it was because the guest preacher was from the Vatican :rolleyes:

Over to you, Alastair :lol:

Peter

I found the music today a little disappointing, I am afraid. I certainly don't think that the version of Come Down O Love Divine was an improvement on Down Ampney. The descant and reharmonised last verse of We Have a Gospel didn't do much for me either and I found the choice of voluntary - movement 1 of the Italian Concerto - a little odd, unless it was because the guest preacher was from the Vatican :rolleyes:

Over to you, Alastair :lol:

Peter

'Only got the voluntary today Peter - it worked quite well later on my little 1 man. though.

A

Guest Patrick Coleman

'Come down, O Love Divine' set to Harris's North Petherton I find both charming and dignified - not as an improvement on Down Ampney but as an alternative. The SATB choir setting is a fairly simple and lovely way of getting people to think again about the words.

What on earth was wrong with the voluntary? I'm the first to hope for something grand or flamboyant, but I thought the voluntary went well with the attempted reflectiveness of the service. I could have done without the improvisation during the intercessions, and I thought that the address was anodyne, but that isn't really a matter for this board.

'Come down, O Love Divine' set to Harris's North Petherton I find both charming and dignified - not as an improvement on Down Ampney but as an alternative. The SATB choir setting is a fairly simple and lovely way of getting people to think again about the words.

What on earth was wrong with the voluntary? I'm the first to hope for something grand or flamboyant, but I thought the voluntary went well with the attempted reflectiveness of the service. I could have done without the improvisation during the intercessions, and I thought that the address was anodyne, but that isn't really a matter for this board.

Yes, that improvising was quite bizarre and not in keeping with the simple flow of the Veni melody. I wish they had used Christopher Walker's setting!

Peter