Mander Organ Builders Forum

Only A Fortnight Or So Left Before A Nice Hunter Is Melted

Guest spottedmetal

Guest spottedmetal

Hi!

If anyone can place a nice compact Hunter, there's one available for just a couple of hundred pounds within the next fortnight.

From my own experience, Hunters can be charmers - mine certainly has the real metal and from the photos it appears that this one might also - and from the description I reckon it occupies no more than a 9ft cube.

The churchwarden's email address is peter.enip at virgin.net and I have a telephone number somewhere. It would be nice if you could possibly let me know of your enquiry to him so that I can track progress of seeing the instrument properly placed.

It's in Graffham, Sussex, and I am trying to persuade the PCC to leave it in situ rather than destroying it whilst they enjoy the novelty of their toaster. However, a fast rescue might be preferable from people who cannot appreciate good pipes.

[e-mail address deleted by moderator at request of owner of e-mail address] has been down there to see it with a view to installing it as a house organ but it was too high for him. If anyone else loves Hunters, he's in the process of expanding a big Hunter instrument.

Does anyone have experience of Hunters? These small instruments appear to have been built on a standard frame and the Graffham one is two decades before mine, apparently without much change. Provision was often made for clamp-ons which if used make access to trackers reduced and slightly fiddly. However, the time and patience involved is rewarded by a compactness rarely available.

Best wishes

Spottedmetal

PS Sorry to be so noisy - once I see the "hated organ" not hated by its organist anymore, this Hunter saved from the melters, I'll shut up rather and be attending to wiring up the combo pistons and stop control of the new manual on my toaster for it to be ready the Bank Holiday Monday jamboree . . . :-) If anyone wants to learn the skills of wiring up indoor bangs for the 1812, volunteers are welcome! My current problem is trying to deter my sons from utilising gunpowder!

Guest Geoff McMahon

Please confirm, spottedmetal, that you have the two individuals' permission to post their e-mail addresses here.

Moderator, Mander Organs

Guest Barry Williams

Take care with Hunter organs.

Often, the bars, especially on the Great, are insufficient with consequent inadequate winding. I do not know if this applies to the smaller instruments, but it is certainly true of many larger organs.

Barry Williams

Guest spottedmetal
Please confirm, spottedmetal, that you have the two individuals' permission to post their e-mail addresses here.

Dear Moderator

Sorry - slap on wrist to me - on account of urgency I did not - :D

Great apologies to all.

Spottedmetal

[edited by moderator]

Guest spottedmetal
Take care with Hunter organs. Often, the bars, especially on the Great, are insufficient with consequent inadequate winding. I do not know if this applies to the smaller instruments, but it is certainly true of many larger organs.

With Hunter's propensity for provisioning with clamp-ons this is clearly a justified concern.

But my hunch is that Hunter made bread-and-butter standard frames and chests unaltered for years for off-the-shelf small organs and the C F Waters instrument which was at the RSCM at Addington and now with us, many will know from personal experience has no such winding problems. It has a one or two rank clamp-on on the Great as well as a 2 rank clamp-on on the swell and has no issue on the winding front.

Properly treated, this instrument should be a gem and easily sited. Great shame to see it destroyed.

Best wishes

David P

PS I have written now to the contact for this organ for permission to place his address here on this page.

I should have thought it would be fairly easy to find a home for the Hunter. I am looking for a large two manual for a beautiful (and quite resonant) church in Norfolk, but sadly, this is not quite big enough. For the past three months I have been looking through lists of redundant organs on the internet, but haven't found a single one that is suitable.

If anyone knows of a good quality large two or three manual for disposal with tracker action to manuals, I should be delighted to hear from them. It is often difficult to find a home for a redundant organ because it is either far too large for its new home or it has been spoilt by later unsuitable additions and alterations. Sometimes, of course, the organ may just be of inferior quality. I hope I am not in breach of the forum's rules by blatantly 'advertising' for an organ, but I feel as strongly as anyone about the preservation of decent pipe organs.

Guest Geoff McMahon
Dear Moderator

Sorry - slap on wrist to me - on account of urgency I did not - :D

Great apologies to all.

Spottedmetal

"Urgency" is not a good enough reason, I am afraid.

I think that I should point out here that publishing someone's private e-mail address without their permission is a breach of the EU/UK data privacy legislation effective 11 December 2003. People can be fined huge sums of money by the Information Commissioner for doing that. So it is not to board participants you should be apologising but to the professional man whose private e-mail address you posted here and did not remove even after he asked you to do so.

Moderator, Mander Organs

Guest spottedmetal
So it is not to board participants you should be apologising but to the professional man whose private e-mail address you posted here and did not remove even after he asked you to do so.

Dear Moderator

Very sorry. Apologies. However, I stumbled upon the problem by accident only on visiting the forum: I received no communication asking me to remove an email address - and of course would have done something immediately upon such a request.

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to moderate the list, edit appropriately and sort out problems if and when they occur - and apologies again for being the source of angst on this occasion.

Yours sincerely

Spottedmetal

"Urgency" is not a good enough reason, I am afraid.

I think that I should point out here that publishing someone's private e-mail address without their permission is a breach of the EU/UK data privacy legislation effective 11 December 2003. People can be fined huge sums of money by the Information Commissioner for doing that. So it is not to board participants you should be apologising but to the professional man whose private e-mail address you posted here and did not remove even after he asked you to do so.

Moderator, Mander Organs

Interesting! Thanks for that information. Recently I had one of my email addresses published without my permission, and without the decency to request that permission. Fortunately, I was able to get it removed later, but not before it was picked up by spam robots, resulting in lots of spam each day. :angry:

I hadn't realized that the law was on my side. It is annoying when one requests that one's email address be removed and this doesn't happen.

Dear Moderator

Sorry - slap on wrist to me - on account of urgency I did not - :angry:

Great apologies to all.

Spottedmetal

[edited by moderator]

I notice that my post has been erased with out explanation. I assume that it must have contravened one of the rules of the forum. I apologise if this is the case,

Guest Geoff McMahon
I notice that my post has been erased with out explanation. I assume that it must have contravened one of the rules of the forum. I apologise if this is the case,

I think you had quoted a post that had had to be deleted, or it may have been the case that your post would not have "made sense" after other posts in the same thread had been deleted.

Hope this helps.

Moderator, Mander Organs

Guest spottedmetal

UPDATE on contact details for Hunter:

Peter in Graffham has updated me:

That's fine, am about to correct some errors in the IBO advert, and

hopefully you will have the correct details in your own website

http://www.jungleboffin.com/mp3/organ

I think the PCC will be wanting to hold off their decision due to some interest currently being

shown.

There's a new member who has been trying to post something about Hunters - look forward to reading it!

Best wishes

Spottedmetal

I should have thought it would be fairly easy to find a home for the Hunter. I am looking for a large two manual for a beautiful (and quite resonant) church in Norfolk, but sadly, this is not quite big enough. For the past three months I have been looking through lists of redundant organs on the internet, but haven't found a single one that is suitable.

If anyone knows of a good quality large two or three manual for disposal with tracker action to manuals, I should be delighted to hear from them. It is often difficult to find a home for a redundant organ because it is either far too large for its new home or it has been spoilt by later unsuitable additions and alterations. Sometimes, of course, the organ may just be of inferior quality. I hope I am not in breach of the forum's rules by blatantly 'advertising' for an organ, but I feel as strongly as anyone about the preservation of decent pipe organs.

RobH

I've sent PM re an organ that might interest you.

R.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest spottedmetal

HAPPY ENDING!

Dear All

I'm pleased to report that the Church Warden has emailed:

the organ has been taken off our hands by a private buyer who proposes to rebuild it himself in his home near Liverpool.
. . . so we have a happy ending.

Whilst having been pilloried for suggesting it, being spotted :) , a few more spots from rotten tomato stains and bad eggs might not notice so I'll dare to say it again . . . I'm sure that there really should be a place for drawing attention not to all instruments under the sun but to instruments which are in immediate danger and for which there is a realistic prospect of being capable of a feasible rescue by way of a snap decision by one individual.

Pierre - have you hidden a place for such postings yet in the middle of your continental region? :blink: Of course this will ensure that all our small organs are exported and be wonderful for English pipe-organ builders when churches discover that toast doesn't taste as good as fresh bread!

Best wishes

Spot

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest spottedmetal

Dear All

Happy Easter to everyone! . . . But it's a very unhappy Easter for another Hunter with a Willis connexion in Bournemouth on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=220214205957

It looks a most lovely instrument - hope someone can preserve it in tact rather than being lost to spare ranks. Palestrina - one for you?

Best wishes

Spot

Redundant Pipe Organ M0116

Hunter c.1930

Southbourne Methodist Church

Southbourne Rd Bournemouth Dorset BH6 5AQ

2 manuals and pedals

21 stops

TP key and stop action

Compass 56/32

Dimensions (size of chamber throughout which the units of the organ are dispersed)

Width 28 ft

Depth 8 ft

Height 20 ft

NPOR Index N08273

Stop List

Swell

Tremulant

Oboe 8

Horn 8

Harmonics 3rks

Gemshorn 4

Vox Angelica 8

Salicional 8

Leiblich Gedeckt 8

Geigen 8

Great

Super Octave 2

Octave Quint 2 2/3

Harmonic flute 4

Octave 4

Wald Flute 8

Dulciana 8

Open Diapason I 8

Open Diapason II 8

Double Open Diapason 16

Pedal

Octave 8

Bass Flute 8

Bourdon 16

Open Wood 16

Couplers

Swell to Great

Swell to Pedal

Great to Pedal

Swell Sub Oct

Swell Octave

Accessories

4 thumb pistons to Great and Pedal

4 thumb pistons to Swell

4 composition pedals to Great and Pedal

Reversible Gt-Pd pedal

Balanced Swell pedal

Blower 3HP

The organ was “modernised” and enlarged by Willis in 1946. It is playable and has a nice tone.

Buyer makes all arrangements for dismantling, packing and transport.

Returns are not accepted.

Church Contact:

Rev. Bob McKinley

6 Stokewood Road

BOURNEMOUTH

BH3 7NA

Tel. 01202 557890

Email: bob.mckinley@btinternet.com

Dear All

Happy Easter to everyone! . . . But it's a very unhappy Easter for another Hunter with a Willis connexion in Bournemouth on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=220214205957

It looks a most lovely instrument - hope someone can preserve it in tact rather than being lost to spare ranks. Palestrina - one for you?

Best wishes

Spot

Redundant Pipe Organ M0116

Hunter c.1930

Southbourne Methodist Church

Southbourne Rd Bournemouth Dorset BH6 5AQ

2 manuals and pedals

21 stops

TP key and stop action

Compass 56/32

Dimensions (size of chamber throughout which the units of the organ are dispersed)

Width 28 ft

Depth 8 ft

Height 20 ft

NPOR Index N08273

Stop List

Swell

Tremulant

Oboe 8

Horn 8

Harmonics 3rks

Gemshorn 4

Vox Angelica 8

Salicional 8

Leiblich Gedeckt 8

Geigen 8

Great

Super Octave 2

Octave Quint 2 2/3

Harmonic flute 4

Octave 4

Wald Flute 8

Dulciana 8

Open Diapason I 8

Open Diapason II 8

Double Open Diapason 16

Pedal

Octave 8

Bass Flute 8

Bourdon 16

Open Wood 16

Couplers

Swell to Great

Swell to Pedal

Great to Pedal

Swell Sub Oct

Swell Octave

Accessories

4 thumb pistons to Great and Pedal

4 thumb pistons to Swell

4 composition pedals to Great and Pedal

Reversible Gt-Pd pedal

Balanced Swell pedal

Blower 3HP

The organ was “modernised” and enlarged by Willis in 1946. It is playable and has a nice tone.

Buyer makes all arrangements for dismantling, packing and transport.

Returns are not accepted.

Church Contact:

Rev. Bob McKinley

6 Stokewood Road

BOURNEMOUTH

BH3 7NA

Tel. 01202 557890

Email: bob.mckinley@btinternet.com

If, as the advert says, the organ is "playable" and has a "nice tone", then why is it redundant? Well, the answer's obvious. Cultural vandalism.

• 2 weeks later...
Interesting. Comparing the spec to the number of stop knobs in the photos it looks as though there might indeed be no Swell to Pedal coupler.

There is a small 2 manual near here where this is the case - you can only get Swell to Pedal via Swell to Great and Great to Pedal.

AJJ

Interesting. Comparing the spec to the number of stop knobs in the photos it looks as though there might indeed be no Swell to Pedal coupler.

Hi

A very common state of affairs on organs that have (or had) short compass Swells (often to Tenor C - except perhaps for a Stopped Bass). There are a number of organs like that on NPOR - for example http://npor.emma.cam.ac.uk/cgi-bin/Rsearch...ec_index=D00760 which I played a few times when I lived in the area.

Every Blessing

Tony