Mander Organ Builders Forum

Organ Builder Sought For House Organ Enquiry

Guest spottedmetal

Guest spottedmetal

Hi!

I had a phone call today from a middle-eastern gentleman who one might describe as having bought a country house in Kent not far from Tunbridge Wells and clearly wants to play the country squire with a house organ . . .

He phoned me on account of the Graffham instrument and I told him that he would need to contact an organ builder who might quote £2000, £5000 or £10000 to move it, to which he replied "no problem". His son tinkers on a toaster (a 1960s Wyvern which "has a note stuck") and he mentioned something about a local choir.

There may be other options for him other than the Graffham Hunter - I asked about space and he reckoned that he had a 6ft cube available to which I replied a 9ft cube would be necessary to which he said "no problem".

Might it be interesting for anyone here?

Please contact me if interested and I will supply the name and phone number.

Best wishes,

Spottedmetal

Guest Barry Williams

The problem is that it is usually not just a move. Unless the instrument has good quality electric or electro-pneumatic action, the whole organ will have to be set up again most carefully. Centres, bushes, etc may need to be renewed. This is why many reputable organ builders will only quote for an overhaul/restoration, rather than just a move. Much will depend on the present condition of the organ.

Guessing is always unwise, but moving an instrument of twenty or so stops could take a week or more.

It is best to get a first-class organ builder to give a quote. These are usually charged at a minimum of £275 + VAT.

Barry Williams

Guest spottedmetal
The problem is that it is usually not just a move. Unless the instrument has good quality electric or electro-pneumatic action, the whole organ will have to be set up again most carefully. Centres, bushes, etc may need to be renewed. This is why many reputable organ builders will only quote for an overhaul/restoration, rather than just a move. Much will depend on the present condition of the organ.

Yes - this is a good point - has anyone seen the Graffham organ yet?

My first organ took me a week to dismantle and two weeks to rebuild . . . and then I misjudged the RSCM Hunter which took 2 weeks to dismantle and four weeks to rebuild together with an architectural student and four students from the former London College of Furniture course . . . and extra voicing help from a wonderful friend . . .

Anyone rebuilding a tracker organ has to be serious!

Best wishes

David P