Mander Organ Builders Forum

Appointments (another One)

andyorgan

News is what we need! At any rate this should soon be forthcoming from the following places: Truro, St. Albans, Southwell, Carlisle, All Saint's Margaret Street, etc, etc

Southwell, Carlisle, Truro and St. Alban's have all appointed now, official announcements should follow soon.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

=============================

I hate being provocative :blink: , but I wonder if anyone can tell me if the flow of organists out of the country during the current reformation, is any greater or lesser than the last time around?

Sadly, the clergy seem to be entrenched.

MM

Hi

Actually, there have been a few clergy who are now working in the US.

Every Blessing

Tony

• 1 month later...

Per the on-line Winchester Cathedral newsletter for July, many congratulations to Richard McVeigh on his appointment as Assistant Organist, starting in September. Surely there can be few cathedrals that provide such a wonderful repertoire and standard of music in such a beautiful setting both inside and outside the cathedral? At least two very good pubs very near the Cathedral.

There (I don't mean in the pubs!!) he will encounter my own singing teacher, Hilary Llysten Jones, who is a wonderful mentor and inspiration to choirmasters on the subject of vocal techqnique for both adults and children. In two years of private lessons with her I have learned an incredible amount and she has made several visits to Brighton to work with my own choir.

Malcolm Kemp

A couple of (lesser, but not to them) appointments that have not been mentioned so far as far as I know. Ian Roberts is now assistant director of music at Chester, formerly assistant organist. Mark Swinton, assistant at Bath Abbey, goes to Kendal Parish Church, a post up to now held by Hugh Davies.

Guest Nigel ALLCOAT

As it is just over 2 hours from London by train, I thought that you might like to know that Naji Hakim writes to me saying that after 33 years as a Parisian organist he has resigned from La Trinité as from the Autumn. I was staying with him when he went for his interview for that job. Little pieces of history .........

N

Per the on-line Winchester Cathedral newsletter for July, many congratulations to Richard McVeigh on his appointment as Assistant Organist, starting in September. Surely there can be few cathedrals that provide such a wonderful repertoire and standard of music in such a beautiful setting both inside and outside the cathedral? At least two very good pubs very near the Cathedral.

There (I don't mean in the pubs!!) he will encounter my own singing teacher, Hilary Llysten Jones, who is a wonderful mentor and inspiration to choirmasters on the subject of vocal techqnique for both adults and children. In two years of private lessons with her I have learned an incredible amount and she has made several visits to Brighton to work with my own choir.

Malcolm Kemp

Ohhh, thank you! Only just seen this post. Very excited about the move. Will miss York though...

Surely one of the pubs you mention is the Wykeham Arms? Already been there, and tasted some very tasty Cottage Pie! Apprently they sell sausages...?

Yes, sausages at the bar, with mustard. They're very, very good...

I'm also trying to work out what the other pub is: would it be the Vine, The Eclipse, The Queen's head, The Black Boy?... Spoilt for choice!

Congrats on the appointment Richard!

When I go to Winchester for a singing lesson I usually go to The Old Market pub in The Square - just opposite Grieves and Hawkes - for lunch. They do decent real ale - including London Pride - and good quality pub food whch is not so expensive as the Wyke.

I think it was almost 3 years ago that I went for the day with a couple of friends to take part in celebrations for some major birthday of the Wyke (I think it was 250 or 275) in the cathedral Close and the cathedral choir performed al fresco with such items as "Over the rainbow" and "Hands that do dishes will feel soft as your face". All organised by Gales to raise money for a choristership. The comment was made by Gales that they wanted to support the cathedral choir because the cathedral lay clerks were very good at supporting the pub......................... Whoever heard of church musicians going inside pubs???

Malcolm Kemp

When I go to Winchester for a singing lesson I usually go to The Old Market pub in The Square - just opposite Grieves and Hawkes - for lunch.

Grieves and Hawkes? :o Tut, tut!

*Sits down down to allow sartorial sensibilities to recover*

Far rather Gieves than the Market Pub.... Isn't the Market Pub Willie Kendal's watering hole? I don't think many people from the Cathedral go there... One of my friends lives opposites the Market pub and doesn't have a high opinion of the late evening clientele...

Speaking of Gieves, Cardogans up the road is good as well - the perfect country Gentleman's outfitter. Just like Gieves, insanely expensive but extremely good - it's difficult to say no unfortunately. Their sales include some blinding bargains sometimes... And there's also the watch maker's, which I've never set foot in but it looks wonderful...

Richard, slightly further afield, you might like to try the Flower Pots at Cheriton - excellent ale brewed on the premises, and the Bunch of Grapes in Bishop's Waltham.

As far as Winchester itslef is concerned, I generally stick to the Wykeham Arms, though can't be bothered with the food - can't eat on an empty stomach!

During my undergrad days we used to venture from Southampton out to the Milburys at Beauworth (a few miles east of Winchester just off the A272).. good pub, good beer, good food AND a very deep well with a big waterwheel in the middle of the bar! :o

During my undergrad days we used to venture from Southampton out to the Milburys at Beauworth (a few miles east of Winchester just off the A272).. good pub, good beer, good food AND a very deep well with a big waterwheel in the middle of the bar! :o

Me too during my undergrad time there!

AJJ

• 1 month later...
In surfing the web I noticed an exciting new appointment- Sophie-Véronique Cauchefer-Choplin has just begun at the RCM as Professor for organ!

I hope that will initiate a regular recital programme across the country..... B)

P

• 2 weeks later...
Does anyone know what is happening at Magdalene College Oxford and Ripon Cathedral, the Organist and Sub-Organists posts respectively are advertised on today's church times. Where are Bill Ives and Tom Leach headed for?

Charles

Tom Leech has possibly gone to Newcastle, to replace Scoot Farrell who is now DoM at Rochester, since Roger Sayer wants to be organist only (see also Colin Walsh, David Dunnett, Ian Tracey etc.)

Would be a pity to see Bill Ives leave, he seems to have done a good job at Magdalen and I very much enjoyed meeting him at the Oxford organ scholarship auditions...

Tom Leech has possibly gone to Newcastle, to replace Scoot Farrell who is now DoM at Rochester, since Roger Sayer wants to be organist only (see also Colin Walsh, David Dunnett, Ian Tracey etc.)

Would be a pity to see Bill Ives leave, he seems to have done a good job at Magdalen and I very much enjoyed meeting him at the Oxford organ scholarship auditions...

That is odd- the Newcastle job has not been advertised yet.....

• 3 months later...

It's probably well known already by now, but:

Tom Leech has left Ripon to go freelance. (I don't yet know who's replacing him, but perhaps someone else on here does?)

Like Philip Moore, Bill Ives is retiring, though I'm sure both of them will still be composing a lot. Daniel Hyde from Jesus Cambridge will be moving to Magdalen.

Newcastle's new No. 1 from January will be Michael Stoddart, until recently No. 1 at St Mary's Portsea and an Assistant at Portsmouth Cathedral. He was a candidate to stand in at Bath Abbey during Peter King's sabbatical - very pleasant fellow, very good all-round experience in church music (he's very active as counter-tenor, organist and choir trainer) so a good choice by Newcastle's D&C.

As for Beverley Minster, I'm as stumped as anyone! If indeed "no appointment will be made," now or in future, it doesn't bode very well for the Minster's musical tradition, at least as far as Choir and Organ seem concerned. Of course it may be that they'll instead look for someone to serve as a Manager rather than as a hands-on music maker. (Christ Church in Clifton, Bristol, did likewise when they appointed their last Director of Music, as they have half a dozen different ensembles making "a wide range of music" - not the sort of set-up that one classically-trained musician can run, but more the sort of thing to be overseen by a musical manager or administrator with various volunteers doing the actual directing and playing...)

As for Beverley Minster, I'm as stumped as anyone! If indeed "no appointment will be made," now or in future, it doesn't bode very well for the Minster's musical tradition, at least as far as Choir and Organ seem concerned. Of course it may be that they'll instead look for someone to serve as a Manager rather than as a hands-on music maker. (Christ Church in Clifton, Bristol, did likewise when they appointed their last Director of Music, as they have half a dozen different ensembles making "a wide range of music" - not the sort of set-up that one classically-trained musician can run, but more the sort of thing to be overseen by a musical manager or administrator with various volunteers doing the actual directing and playing...)

Who knows? Either way, it is being advertised on the Minster's website. Closing date of 07th November, Interviews 01st & 02nd December 2008 so perhaps we will find something out in the not too distant future.

http://www.beverleyminster.org/ => News, Events & Service Times

Dave