Mander Organ Builders Forum

Duets

Iain

Hi,

A friend and i want to do a duet together on the organ. The problem I have is i don't know what is out there. Does anyone have any ideas?

Get in touch with Maureen McAllister and Robin Jackson at Corsham PC - they not only play masses of duets but have arranged some quite interesting bits and pieces and publish them also. They are in the phonebook under 'Jackson' - you could also find the via the Wilts. and Bath organists Association - I think the WBOA has a website - Robin certainly was/is one of their officers.

AJJ

Didn't John Rutter write as Easter-based duet? I'm sure this has come up before.

Best wishes

Peter

'Variations on an Easter Theme' is available on CD. It's a filler on the Clare College, Cambridge rectoding of Requiem (NAXOS 8.557130). Don't know if it's in print, though. The theme iin question is 'O Filii et Filiae'

Cheers,

Paul.

Other duets are:

Samuel Wesley (3 movements, just called Duet, I think)

Hakim: Rhapsody (5 movements, based on 'popular' tunes, the 5th mvt combines all the tunes from the previous 4)

P.D.Q. Bach: Toot Suite (3 movements: Preloud, OK Chorale, and Fuga Vulgaris)

the American Chenault duettists have published a book which includes an arrangement of Stars and Stripes

also see

http://www.ohscatalog.com/sheetmusforo1.html

though I don't know any of them except the Rutter.

Paul Walton

Other duets are:

Samuel Wesley (3 movements, just called Duet, I think)

Now, that's just brought back a memory....

At a choral concert I was playing for a number of years back, the choir's MD and I played the Wesley in order to pad out the concert. It was a rickety old organ and, actually, a rickety old choir too. Well, we got through the first page or so of this piece and then I heard a sort of creaking, groaning sound below me. This was slightly disconcerting as you can imagine. And then, BANG!! Part of the floor below the organ stool my end decided that it couldn't keep up with the strain and collapsed. The organ stool developed a pronounced list to port. We carried on playing but with great difficulty as we were both sliding off the stool and every few seconds had to heave ourselves up to the other end of the stool before slowly but surely sliding back down. The floor continued to creak and I was fearful of a full descent. The absurdity of the situation struck us and, after initially cursing, we began to laugh uncontrollably. None of this was very conducive towards good playing, as you'll understand. All of this was outside the view of the audience who had no idea what was going on.

Well, we finished this duet, the MD hauled himself off the stool and said something like "Well, the best of British to you, Gareth". I still had the other half of the concert to play for...... :rolleyes:

Hi,

A friend and i want to do a duet together on the organ. The problem I have is i don't know what is out there. Does anyone have any ideas?

Do a little 'googling', Iain; there are CDs of organ duets around - and searching on Amazon will yield results.

The famous 3-movement S Wesley duet has been mentioned, and there are others by Soler. The Mozart clock transcriptions (K594 and K608) are available in some editions to be performed by two organists. Langlais wrote a Double Fantasie pour deux organistes which is worth investigating, and my personal favourite to play and listen to is Leighton's Martyrs.

The Soler are great fun. Me and a uni pal gave a recital for music for two organs at one of the first Paisley festivals. Threre's a volume in that English Organ Music series (ed Langley?) which you can get on reprint. We also played a piano duet version of both the Mozart F minor Fantasias and they worked really well as a duet (I know there were an organ piece, then a piano duet etc.). There's a good Briekopf little book of pieces for pedals, one of which is a duet version of the blue danube. You have to know your duet partner very well, or at least, not mind getting to know them....

There's a good Briekopf little book of pieces for pedals, one of which is a duet version of the blue danube. You have to know your duet partner very well, or at least, not mind getting to know them....

I've been trying for years to track down the Blue Danube arrangement. It doesn't seem to be listed in the Breitkopf catalogue. Do you have further details (ISBN etc) by any chance?

Thanks in advance

JS

......one of which is a duet version of the blue danube. You have to know your duet partner very well, or at least, not mind getting to know them....

I wonder who's going to be the first around here to suggest that Barbara Dennerlein might be approached about the possibility of playing a duet when she visits this country? B)

I've been trying for years to track down the Blue Danube arrangement. It doesn't seem to be listed in the Breitkopf catalogue. Do you have further details (ISBN etc) by any chance?

Thanks in advance

JS

Can't lay my hands on the book right at the moment, but I think it is called something like, music for pedals, or pedal solo music. The helpful man at Allegro might be worth contacting.

How do you reply to two posts in the same post?.......

I wonder who's going to be the first around here to suggest that Barbara Dennerlein might be approached about the possibility of playing a duet when she visits this country? B)

Me, me, me, pick me sir!!!! I promise to practice the pedals for weeks.........

Hi,

What about Denis Bédard's "Duet Suite"? (Written, I think, for McAllister & Jackson.) I have done his Suite for Piano and Organ a couple of times and it has been much enjoyed both by us and the audiences. Approachable stuff and fun.

Stephen Barber

• 2 weeks later...

I forgot I have a CD called Organ at the Opera from Australia which is all duet stuff. Mostly transcriptions (William Tell, I've always thought this would be easier with at least three hands), but a rather intruiging set of variations of duetting pedals (is that the right term?) based on 'Waltzing Matilda'. I guess you really have to know you partner here, and much of the novelty would be in the watching, rather than the listening.