Mander Organ Builders Forum

New Organ Music - Hector's Review Of The Week

Guest Hector5

Guest Hector5

Following the CD from The Royal Holloway College - I ordered my copies of Pasquet's organ works, which arrived today and have not been disappointed and I shall try and find more of this composer's offerings as a result. Do investigate this composer's music - it's lovely stuff. With my Pasquet packet also arrived copy of Naji Hakim's latest offering - The Glenalmond Suite. This is quite a change from the normal frantic 'merry go round' fast and furious stuff (not that I don't enjoy playing it!!). This suite is simply wonderful, with a real lightness of touch. So far it has only had an outing on the Bluthner at home - but I can't wait until I can try it at church. While the Mariales Suite is more light-weight, this is something completely different.

Hector

I've ordered the Morançon Noels as a result of getting the Royal Holloway CD - the trouble is that the tunes are now driving my wife and I quite mad - infectious stuff! On the subject of interesting organ music - there is some quite good new repertoire coming out of the USA - OUP especially seem to have a good line. My 'piece of the week' though is an easy but really effective transcription - Larghetto from the Elgar Serenade for Strings in a volume The Reflective Elgar from Animus - pure magic!

AJJ