Mander Organ Builders Forum

Minor Terminology Query

James Goldrick

As it says in the Topic Title, this is a minor query, but today I was practising on a relatively untouched 1890 Hill & Son organ in Newcastle, Australia (See below). The white circular insert surrounding the Gt. Open Diapason knob kept popping out with the stop itself.

As I was writing a note in the tuner's book, I could not think of the right term to use.

Is there an official term for these 'white circular inserts'?

St Andrew's Presbyterian Church, Newcastle

NewcastlePres3.jpg

Stop jamb bushes is the answer you're looking for. This is the ivory collar that is glued into the stop jambs and is lined with felt to prevent the drawstop shanks rattling around.

What a handsome console !

H

Stop jamb bushes is the answer you're looking for. This is the ivory collar that is glued into the stop jambs and is lined with felt to prevent the drawstop shanks rattling around.

H

Very handsome in fact. I've always referred to them as 'collars'.

H

As you say, just the answer I was looking for.

Thank-you very much.

I was beginning to despair when the answers were about the stop-domes. Upon re-reading, the wording of my question could have been better!