Mander Organ Builders Forum

Why Do We Bother?

Vox Humana

Pedantry is not an animate object and therefore it can't live or kick. :)

Whilst we are nit-picking, if we are to continue in a pedantic vein, it is better to avoid contractions - unless of course, one is enceinte. For that matter, it is also desirable to avoid using foreign words when not strictly necessary.

I suppose that this serves to remind me (as much as anyone else here) that when one points a finger at someone, there are always three fingers pointing back at oneself.

Best wishes for a successful surgery - and a speedy recovery, Gareth.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whilst we are nit-picking, if we are to continue in a pedantic vein, it is better to avoid contractions - unless of course, one is enceinte. For that matter, it is also desirable to avoid using foreign words when not strictly necessary.

I suppose that this serves to remind me (as much as anyone else here) that when one points a finger at someone, there are always three fingers pointing back at oneself.

Best wishes for a successful surgery - and a speedy recovery, Gareth.

=========================

I'm a great believer in conviction politics, and I only ever see two fingers pointing back at me.

MM

Surely something is either correct or incorrect. I wasn't aware that there existed degrees of correctness. :)

==========================

Things can be almost right, but nothing can ever be perfect. Only God is perfect, as my English teacher used to remind me.

MM

Things can be almost right, but nothing can ever be perfect. Only God is perfect, as my English teacher used to remind me.

MM

I have always regarded "correctness" and "rightness" as being different entities, although their dictionary definitions afford them equal status. It is easy to be correct, but less easy to be right.

I have always regarded "correctness" and "rightness" as being different entities, although their dictionary definitions afford them equal status. It is easy to be correct, but less easy to be right.

======================

I'm not sure that Prof Stephen Hawkins would agree with you, but I like your version, because it means that being politically correct is not necessarily the same as following the path of righteousness, and that God isn't necessarily a politician.

Perspectives are so important, don't you think?

Mention fast-food to a boy I know, and he immediately thinks of greengrocer's displays and bottles of milk on door-steps.

MM

• 2 weeks later...

It took me 7.5 seconds to realise that the fugue subject of the "Great" G Minor exceeds an octave.

MM

According to Grace, the subject was used for an examination - presumably improvising a fugue - but had to be modified to keep it within the octave.

Peter