Mander Organ Builders Forum

Allein Gott In Der Höh Sei Ehr, Bwv 715

Malcolm Farr

Peter Clark opened the "O Mensch, bewein" thread by referencing Patrick's comment in the "Why do we bother" thread regarding Bach pushing boundaries to the limits, without stepping over the edge. This in turn reminded me of Allein Gott in der Höh sei Ehr BWV 715, a setting in which the hallowed cantor surely came fairly close to breaking out of the envelope. I've only played it, and heard it played, on equal-tempered instruments, but suspect that it could have sounded positively terrifying on organs with old tunings. Your thoughts?

Rgds,

MJF

Bach used Werckmeister's "Orgelprobe", so we may assume

Werckmeister's Temperaments (usually the III) to be fair.

This is what Joachim Wagner used.

Trost tuned after Neidhardt, an we know Bach, in his report about

Altenburg, praised the possibility to play "in all the keys" there.

Pierre

Guest Nigel ALLCOAT
Peter Clark opened the "O Mensch, bewein" thread by referencing Patrick's comment in the "Why do we bother" thread regarding Bach pushing boundaries to the limits, without stepping over the edge. This in turn reminded me of Allein Gott in der Höh sei Ehr BWV 715, a setting in which the hallowed cantor surely came fairly close to breaking out of the envelope. I've only played it, and heard it played, on equal-tempered instruments, but suspect that it could have sounded positively terrifying on organs with old tunings. Your thoughts?

Rgds,

MJF

Spannen Sie einen snook at the authorities?

N